What's new

ASUS RT-AX86U Pro sporadically dropping internet connection on ALL devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

at2002

New Around Here
Hey all,

I have been having some issues with my RT-AX86U Pro recently. Over the course of the last few weeks, I have been experiencing sporadic internet disconnects on all devices, including my desktop, Apple TV, and phone.

I am thinking it is DNS-related, but I am not quite sure. If I switch my DNS server to something like Google or Cloudflare from "Default status" after experiencing a disconnect, the problem resolves itself for a temporary amount of time. The internet will disconnect eventually even after a DNS swap - this next disconnect can happen anywhere from a couple of minutes to multiple hours after the DNS change (I actually just experienced one while writing this post, go figure...)

When these disconnects occur, it's a coin toss as to whether my desktop/phone still tells me I have a valid internet connection (sometimes it says I am only connected locally, other times it tells me I have no connection).
Regardless, sites will not load and I cannot use online services.

I also constantly get these router logs (this excerpt was logged when the above disconnect happened), but I am not sure if they are related.
Code:
Feb 22 16:52:10 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(645): eth6: Deauth_ind **:**:**:**:**:**, status: 0, reason: Unspecified reason (1), rssi:0
Feb 22 16:52:10 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(662): eth6: Disassoc **:**:**:**:**:**, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0
Feb 22 16:52:10 hostapd: eth6: STA **:**:**:**:**:** IEEE 802.11: disassociated
Feb 22 16:52:13 acsd: eth6: COEX: downgraded chanspec 0x1909 to 0x100b: w
Feb 22 16:52:15 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(685): eth6: Auth **:**:**:**:**:**, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb 22 16:52:15 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(722): eth6: Assoc **:**:**:**:**:**, status: Successful (0), rssi:-59
Feb 22 16:52:15 hostapd: eth6: STA **:**:**:**:**:** IEEE 802.11: associated
Feb 22 16:52:15 hostapd: eth6: STA **:**:**:**:**:** RADIUS: starting accounting session FEBE8216BF0E8101
Feb 22 16:52:15 hostapd: eth6: STA **:**:**:**:**:** WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)
Feb 22 16:52:15 dnsmasq-dhcp[19797]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.50.180 **:**:**:**:**:**
Feb 22 16:52:15 dnsmasq-dhcp[19797]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.50.180 **:**:**:**:**:** *******

I've tried using the suggested optimal settings for the RT-AX86U Pro, factory resets, tinkered with WAN settings, LAN settings, had my ISP (which is a local ISP through the apartment complex, not a big name) install new coax, switched modems, and more. It *has* to be the router; I can't think of anything else it could be at this point. If it helps, my router is in my living room and my desktop is in the back of the apartment, but the coax cable is only ran to the living room outlet. Regardless, when I do have internet it works well - I get my advertised speeds and my connection tends to be stable minus the errant ping spike. Using the 2.4GHz channel; 5G is even worse.

P.S. I am running Merlin 3004.388.5. I was running 3004.388.6 but I downgraded to see if the problem would resolve. I cannot reset my router to stock firmware; uploading via the control panel gives me a "firmware upgrade unsuccessful" message, and the recovery tool doesn't seem to replace the Merlin firmware with the recovery stock firmware I am trying to use. I've tried sidegrading to newest stock firmware and downgrading to both stock and Merlin versions with no success; the only successful downgrade I've made is to Merlin 3004.388.5 from 3004.388.6.

This is a very frustrating problem. Can someone point me in a right direction or at least give me insights?

Last edited:
Update! Was able to install STOCK 3.0.0.4.388_24199 firmware WITHOUT the recovery tool. I am going to see if this will stabilize the internet connection and go from there.

Update! Was able to install STOCK 3.0.0.4.388_24199 firmware WITHOUT the recovery tool. I am going to see if this will stabilize the internet connection and go from there.

24199 is for the AX86U Pro. You should make clear what model router you are actually using. You post says AX86U. The current stock firmware is 24231

My AX86U Pro has been very stable. I have run Merlin 388.5 and 388.6 and the Asus 388.24199. Have not had issues that I did not cause with my tinkering. Now, for some recent health reasons, I am back on Asus firmware just in case someone else has to care for my network. I do use Dual Band SmartConnect and leave the rest of the WIFI settings at default. I disable UPnP, set the WAN DNS to Cloudflare Security (1.1.1.2 and 1.0.0.2) and enable DoT to the same Cloudflare resolvers.
Have you set the DHCP query frequency to Normal mode?

My AX86U Pro has been very stable. I have run Merlin 388.5 and 388.6 and the Asus 388.24199. Have not had issues that I did not cause with my tinkering. Now, for some recent health reasons, I am back on Asus firmware just in case someone else has to care for my network. I do use Dual Band SmartConnect and leave the rest of the WIFI settings at default. I disable UPnP, set the WAN DNS to Cloudflare Security (1.1.1.2 and 1.0.0.2) and enable DoT to the same Cloudflare resolvers.
Have you set the DHCP query frequency to Normal mode?
Yes, I have DHCP query freq set to Normal, currently. Ever since I switched back to stock I haven't had a disconnect.

Update - just experienced the same disconnect again after a couple hours of uptime, so it's seemingly not a firmware issue :confused:. Switched to Cloudflare DNS and I got disconnected again a minute later, so I switched back to Google DNS and now it's connected again.

I have no idea why switching DNS servers temporarily resolves the issue. Router log also doesn't seem to be of much help, but I will attach it here anyways, just in case any of you know better than I do. Tried following bbunge's advice, will see how it goes.

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    280.9 KB · Views: 16
One of the troubleshooting steps to perform when all else fails is to perform a hard factory reset. For the RT-AX86U Pro:
1. Turn the router off.
2. Press and hold the "WPS" button and turn the router on.
3. Power light is on (keep holding the WPS button).
4. Release the WPS button after the power light is off.
5. Reboot your router by manually pressing the power button.

Not having such issues on a RT-AX86U Pro running Asus-Merlin 3004.388.6.

If performing a hard factory reset, do a minimum configuration without having a USB hard drive attached and without importing a previously saved router.cfg file.

Are you running any add-on scripts with your router? Anything like Skynet, Diversion, or are you running Pi-Hole on the local network?
Maybe post screen shots of your router DNS settings, both WAN and LAN in case others see something wrong with them.

Hey all,

I have been having some issues with my RT-AX86U Pro recently. Over the course of the last few weeks, I have been experiencing sporadic internet disconnects on all devices, including my desktop, Apple TV, and phone.

I am thinking it is DNS-related, but I am not quite sure. If I switch my DNS server to something like Google or Cloudflare from "Default status" after experiencing a disconnect, the problem resolves itself for a temporary amount of time. The internet will disconnect eventually even after a DNS swap - this next disconnect can happen anywhere from a couple of minutes to multiple hours after the DNS change (I actually just experienced one while writing this post, go figure...)

When these disconnects occur, it's a coin toss as to whether my desktop/phone still tells me I have a valid internet connection (sometimes it says I am only connected locally, other times it tells me I have no connection).
Regardless, sites will not load and I cannot use online services.

I also constantly get these router logs (this excerpt was logged when the above disconnect happened), but I am not sure if they are related.
Code:
Feb 22 16:52:10 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(645): eth6: Deauth_ind **:**:**:**:**:**, status: 0, reason: Unspecified reason (1), rssi:0
Feb 22 16:52:10 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(662): eth6: Disassoc **:**:**:**:**:**, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0
Feb 22 16:52:13 acsd: eth6: COEX: downgraded chanspec 0x1909 to 0x100b: w
Feb 22 16:52:15 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(685): eth6: Auth **:**:**:**:**:**, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb 22 16:52:15 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(722): eth6: Assoc **:**:**:**:**:**, status: Successful (0), rssi:-59
Feb 22 16:52:15 hostapd: eth6: STA **:**:**:**:**:** IEEE 802.11: associated
Feb 22 16:52:15 hostapd: eth6: STA **:**:**:**:**:** RADIUS: starting accounting session FEBE8216BF0E8101
Feb 22 16:52:15 hostapd: eth6: STA **:**:**:**:**:** WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)
Feb 22 16:52:15 dnsmasq-dhcp[19797]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.50.180 **:**:**:**:**:**
Feb 22 16:52:15 dnsmasq-dhcp[19797]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.50.180 **:**:**:**:**:** *******

I've tried using the suggested optimal settings for the RT-AX86U Pro, factory resets, tinkered with WAN settings, LAN settings, had my ISP (which is a local ISP through the apartment complex, not a big name) install new coax, switched modems, and more. It *has* to be the router; I can't think of anything else it could be at this point. If it helps, my router is in my living room and my desktop is in the back of the apartment, but the coax cable is only ran to the living room outlet. Regardless, when I do have internet it works well - I get my advertised speeds and my connection tends to be stable minus the errant ping spike. Using the 2.4GHz channel; 5G is even worse.

P.S. I am running Merlin 3004.388.5. I was running 3004.388.6 but I downgraded to see if the problem would resolve. I cannot reset my router to stock firmware; uploading via the control panel gives me a "firmware upgrade unsuccessful" message, and the recovery tool doesn't seem to replace the Merlin firmware with the recovery stock firmware I am trying to use. I've tried sidegrading to newest stock firmware and downgrading to both stock and Merlin versions with no success; the only successful downgrade I've made is to Merlin 3004.388.5 from 3004.388.6.

This is a very frustrating problem. Can someone point me in a right direction or at least give me insights?
Pease advise as to your ISP and type of connection (fiber, cable, ?)

Update - just experienced the same disconnect again after a couple hours of uptime, so it's seemingly not a firmware issue :confused:. Switched to Cloudflare DNS and I got disconnected again a minute later, so I switched back to Google DNS and now it's connected again.

I have no idea why switching DNS servers temporarily resolves the issue. Router log also doesn't seem to be of much help, but I will attach it here anyways, just in case any of you know better than I do. Tried following bbunge's advice, will see how it goes.
I am suspecting the router is not getting a WAN IP address renewal. From the main screen, click on the globe to the left of Internet Status. That will bring up the Internet Status screen. Look for Lease time. Does the time shown there closely correspond to the time you loose connection? The time you loose connection may be 1/2 the lease time. You can also watch the Lease Expires to see if the router gets a renewal of the WAN IP address.
As you have set the DHCP Query option to Normal, you might try one of the other settings.
I have seen posts that folks with Asus routers have had issues like this on Comcast. Not too sure just what the fix is.
F.Y.I. changing the DNS servers resets the WAN connection and fixes your problem for a while. I would leave the DNS server settings alone. You can turn the WAN off and back on via the Internet status page.
If you had a prior router that worked OK on your cable network, clone the old router MAC address to the Asus and see if it helps.

One of the troubleshooting steps to perform when all else fails is to perform a hard factory reset. For the RT-AX86U Pro:
1. Turn the router off.
2. Press and hold the "WPS" button and turn the router on.
3. Power light is on (keep holding the WPS button).
4. Release the WPS button after the power light is off.
5. Reboot your router by manually pressing the power button.

Not having such issues on a RT-AX86U Pro running Asus-Merlin 3004.388.6.

If performing a hard factory reset, do a minimum configuration without having a USB hard drive attached and without importing a previously saved router.cfg file.

Are you running any add-on scripts with your router? Anything like Skynet, Diversion, or are you running Pi-Hole on the local network?
Maybe post screen shots of your router DNS settings, both WAN and LAN in case others see something wrong with them.

Hey, thanks for the advice. I tried this on Merlin firmware to no avail but I haven't on stock yet.
No addons/scripts, just stock firmware right now. No Pi-Hole either.

I will post WAN/LAN settings once I hard factory reset. I am going to use the settings recommended by L&LD here after the hard factory reset and see how things go.
Pease advise as to your ISP and type of connection (fiber, cable, ?)

I have a cable connection. As stated, I go through a local ISP through my apartment complex, so I can't really tell you a lot of detail as to what company is specifically is. A quick lookup states Access Media 3 (and I have heard bad things :confused:) but they don't serve my area, so I am not sure.

I am suspecting the router is not getting a WAN IP address renewal. From the main screen, click on the globe to the left of Internet Status. That will bring up the Internet Status screen. Look for Lease time. Does the time shown there closely correspond to the time you loose connection? The time you loose connection may be 1/2 the lease time. You can also watch the Lease Expires to see if the router gets a renewal of the WAN IP address.
As you have set the DHCP Query option to Normal, you might try one of the other settings.
I have seen posts that folks with Asus routers have had issues like this on Comcast. Not too sure just what the fix is.
F.Y.I. changing the DNS servers resets the WAN connection and fixes your problem for a while. I would leave the DNS server settings alone. You can turn the WAN off and back on via the Internet status page.
If you had a prior router that worked OK on your cable network, clone the old router MAC address to the Asus and see if it helps.

Interesting idea. I reset my WAN like you suggested since I came home to no connection and it currently says 1 day(s) on lease time. I'm not sure if it's exactly 1/2 the time, since sometimes I lose connection minutes after a WAN reset, but I will keep an eye on it!
No prior router. This is the only one I've used and it's basically brand new. I have switched modems (currently using apartment-supplied Arris SB6183) and it's had no issues (some correctables here and there but it's never gone out to my knowledge and the error logs are practically empty).

Access Media 3 is a company that provides services to multi-dwelling units such as condominiums, apartments, retirement communities and student housing in 19 states. What I tried to find is their recommended DNS settings and I could not. Consequently, try to obtain recommended DNS settings locally. I expect the DNS settings you receive will be vague. Talk to the apartment management company to see if anyone else is complaining about internet service. Right now, I am of the opinion that you may be troubleshooting an Access Media 3 issue.

I have switched modems (currently using apartment-supplied Arris SB6183) and it's had no issues (some correctables here and there but it's never gone out to my knowledge and the error logs are practically empty).
If you connect a PC direct to the Arris SB6183, does it experience the internet/WAN drops like the router does? One could try accessing the Arris SB6183 Web Manager Screen (if possible) and see if that administration interface or its event log shows any issues or cause for the internet/WAN disconnections.
If the Arris SB6183 is handing out a local IP address (example: 192.168.1.10) to the Asus router then make sure the Asus router's DHCP range is different (example: 192.168.2.x).
While rare in this day and age. It is possible Access Media 3 is still using MAC Address to ID a customer. If so one may need to try the MAC Clone option in the Asus router GUI and clone the MAC address of either a PC that previously was connected to the Arris SB6183 or a prior router if that router didn't have any issue with the Arris SB6183.

That SB6183 cable modem is getting a bit old. It is DOCSIS 3.0 good for up to 400 Mbps. Many cable companies are having customers upgrade to newer modems. I upgraded a friends modem on Comcast to a DOCSIS 3.1 device. You alluded in the first post that you have another modem. Have you tried that? Also, have you tried another Ethernet cable between the modem and router? The AX86U Pro can also use the 2.5 GB port for WAN and it might be a good idea to try that to prove the "normal" WAN port is or is not good.

I searched AM3 for connection issues. There were a few complaints I found about them but nothing persistent like the Comcast connection issues.

Whatever the problem is I feel it is not a WAN DNS issue. I would set the WAN DNS to Quad9 or Cloudflare Security (1.1.1.2 and 1.0.0.2), do not enable DNSSEC or DoT and do not change them. If you want to rely on the ISP DNS servers that is fine, too.

One more thought... does the router get a good time sync when it boots up? If not switch the time server to: time.nist.gov

I have switched modems (currently using apartment-supplied Arris SB6183) and it's had no issues (some correctables here and there but it's never gone out to my knowledge and the error logs are practically empty).
I have Spectrum cable service in a condominium environment. Initially I was using my own cable modem for years because at the time I got the service they were charging a monthly fee to use a Spectrum supplied cable modem but it eventually died. Good news was Spectrum had a change in policy and were now providing their own modem for free. For Spectrum service their DHCP provides me with a real internet IP address (IPv4 and IPv6). However, with Access Media 3 you have to tell us if the WAN address of your ASUS is; 192.168.x.x or other.

I suspect that you are being provided an internet address. At any rate, due to infrastructure hardware limitations some ISP require their provided modems to be used primarily due to their desire to control all the hardware up to and including the cable modem. Additionally, a non-ISP provided cable modem may not play nicely on their network creating an "error recovery" situation on their side which may explain your situation.

Note: Cable modems can have synchronization drift with the modem at the other end typically causing a decrease in speed or significant errors. I am in the habit of power cycling my cable modem and router at the first of the month to ensure synchronization as well as to recover memory on router.

Access Media 3 is a company that provides services to multi-dwelling units such as condominiums, apartments, retirement communities and student housing in 19 states. What I tried to find is their recommended DNS settings and I could not. Consequently, try to obtain recommended DNS settings locally. I expect the DNS settings you receive will be vague. Talk to the apartment management company to see if anyone else is complaining about internet service. Right now, I am of the opinion that you may be troubleshooting an Access Media 3 issue.

If that is the case, unfortunate for me. It was not always Access Media 3 (I think it used to be something like Xiber?) but I will ask them and see if I can get any other information.
That SB6183 cable modem is getting a bit old. It is DOCSIS 3.0 good for up to 400 Mbps. Many cable companies are having customers upgrade to newer modems. I upgraded a friends modem on Comcast to a DOCSIS 3.1 device. You alluded in the first post that you have another modem. Have you tried that? Also, have you tried another Ethernet cable between the modem and router? The AX86U Pro can also use the 2.5 GB port for WAN and it might be a good idea to try that to prove the "normal" WAN port is or is not good.

I searched AM3 for connection issues. There were a few complaints I found about them but nothing persistent like the Comcast connection issues.

Whatever the problem is I feel it is not a WAN DNS issue. I would set the WAN DNS to Quad9 or Cloudflare Security (1.1.1.2 and 1.0.0.2), do not enable DNSSEC or DoT and do not change them. If you want to rely on the ISP DNS servers that is fine, too.

One more thought... does the router get a good time sync when it boots up? If not switch the time server to: time.nist.gov

The modem I tried using was a NETGEAR CM-1200, but after giving them the necessary info to provision it would not establish upstream and downstream connection (it would only connect to one downstream channel, reboot, and repeat this process). It could have been a faulty modem, but I just decided to go back to the SB6183 supplied by my apartment. It has worked fine since then. I had the complex route a new coax to my apartment, and the modem signals are all mostly in spec and I get very few errors in the event log (mainly a DCHP RENEW WARNING every day).

Not sure what you mean by a good time sync - where could I find this information? I apologize, as this is all fairly new to me. I have switched to the 2.5G port and will see if the issue persists.

If you connect a PC direct to the Arris SB6183, does it experience the internet/WAN drops like the router does? One could try accessing the Arris SB6183 Web Manager Screen (if possible) and see if that administration interface or its event log shows any issues or cause for the internet/WAN disconnections.
If the Arris SB6183 is handing out a local IP address (example: 192.168.1.10) to the Asus router then make sure the Asus router's DHCP range is different (example: 192.168.2.x).
While rare in this day and age. It is possible Access Media 3 is still using MAC Address to ID a customer. If so one may need to try the MAC Clone option in the Asus router GUI and clone the MAC address of either a PC that previously was connected to the Arris SB6183 or a prior router if that router didn't have any issue with the Arris SB6183.

I will have to fool around to get the ethernet cable I have to my desktop. I'm not sure if my current cable is long enough, so I may have to purchase a new one or move some things around. As stated above, I can view the modem administration page and my signals are all within spec for the most part (no uncorrectables/poor SNR levels/etc...) and there are no significant events that raise a red flag for me.

I am not sure exactly what you mean by "handing out a local IP address". If it helps, I connect to my modem with 192.168.100.x and my router's IP pool on the LAN DHCP is 192.168.50.x. No prior routers - this desktop has only ever known my ASUS one.

Thank you all for the additional help. It is hard to reply in a timely manner, but please do keep asking me to clarify! :)

I think you have found the problem. DHCP RENEW WARNING. Time to talk to the ISP

I am not sure exactly what you mean by "handing out a local IP address". If it helps, I connect to my modem with 192.168.100.x and my router's IP pool on the LAN DHCP is 192.168.50.x. No prior routers - this desktop has only ever known my ASUS one.
The modem will either provide your router a local (aka private) IP address, or will provide the WAN/broadband IP address. In your case it appears the modem is providing the router a local/private IP address (i.e. an IP address in the 192.168.100.x range). As you indicated the Arris modem is generating "DCHP RENEW WARNING" messages in the log so that is likely where your problem lies. As bbunge indicated, its time to call the ISP and inform them of those errors.

I think you have found the problem. DHCP RENEW WARNING. Time to talk to the ISP

Hey, just checking in to let you know that this isn't necessarily happening at the same time the internet drops. I usually get this error around midnight on the modem logs but my internet drops at different times. I just experienced 3 outages in a row maybe an hour after this error showed up in my modem logs.

Would it still be the issue then? I also tried changing the time server but that did not seem to help either.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!