What's new

ASUS RT-AXE7800 Merlin Firmware availability ????

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

marcd5123

Occasional Visitor
Hi Guys purchased this 3 days ago from Amazon UK on a deal price and upgrading from a Netgear Nighthawk RAX120 . So far loving the router . I've got it setup with the general basics so far as it's a PPOE connection with my ISP EE UK I get a rock solid FTTC connection with them . Anyhow I've got it setup with Cloudfare DNS as I've always used them and not my ISP . The less snooping my ISP can do the better . I also use Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 with Kodi and have a RD account with some addons ..

So I need to take some more time out during the week and explore all the fantastic new features of this router some of being ..

WireGuard VPN compatible router so I can set up an implement my Surfshark account directly at the main point the router never been able to do that before so I'm definitely hoping for some excellent results ☝️🙏🤞. This now means it will free up some more extra resources on my Nvidia shield Pro device and also mean I can switch countries for my apple TV+ device it won't have to run the surfshark app in the background.

This router also offers Ping testing for DNS lookups directly using the router's software another fantastic feature 👍.

So I've been told to at some point grab the Merlin Firmware for this router as it will unlock even more !!!..I've looked on the Merlin website and it's not available yet ☝️😟...anyone have any more news about this at all ... Annoyingly their is firmware available for a few other AXE models . Well this was only launched last year 2023 so it's a brand new model from Asus .

Obviously it's not an emergency anyhow. I was kinda worried as it comes with a 3 year warranty and 2 of those years are direct with Amazon UK and I was somewhat concerned it would invalidate the warranty once I installed the Merlin software or it could potentially brick the router however I've been told this should not really happen and you can "rollback" to Asus stock firmware???!...Is this definitely 100% correct??..As if I had to send the router back to Amazon UK under warranty for any reason I can quickly return the router back to its stock firmware and then perform factory reset.

Hopefully this new router will last me some years to come it cost me over £200+ I hope so.

Lastly Any tips and tricks I can do until their is Merlin firmware available for this model .

Many Thanks New Member 🙂.

Attachments

• IMG_20240317_132908.jpg
    IMG_20240317_132908.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
once I installed the Merlin software

There is no Asuswrt-Merlin firmware for this model. Your chances getting it are slim, unfortunately. Doesn't seem like popular model around.

Model support

Q: Will you support the RT-xxxxxx that was just announced?
A: See detailed answer in post #3.

Post #3

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-read-me-first-before-posting-a-question.47153/#post-609193
Q: Will you add support for model XYZ?

A: The decision whether or not to support a new model depend on a long list of factors, which may evolve over time. Right now:

- It needs to be Broadcom-based

- It needs to be widely available (not just in two or three countries)

- It needs to have high-end hardware so I don't have to fight with lack of flash or RAM

- It needs to receive frequent enough GPLs so I won't have to regularly skip it due to the GPL being outdated

- I need to have one

- I need to have the time to try supporting it

- I need to have the motivation to try supporting it

Each new model requires its own dedicated support. That means every time I work on a new firmware release, I have to work on each separate model, and I need GPL releases from Asus for each individual model, and I need to merge each of them separately. So that means if I support 10 different routers, then I need to merge in the content of 10 different GPL releases, and these need to be close enough to one another to still be compatible. The more models I support, the harder this is to accomplish, therefore I am VERY conservative regarding adding any new model.

So don't ask if/when a new model will be supported.
I cannot speculate about future model support, and until I have working support for a model, I cannot answer that question.

There is no Asuswrt-Merlin firmware for this model. Your chances getting it are slim, unfortunately. Doesn't seem like popular model around.
No worries and thanks for the reply. Obviously this could change at anytime it's only been available for a short time and it's not the end of the world as the stock firmware is pretty awesome as it is and offers tons of features that my previous routers Netgear and Linksys never offered so I'm very impressed so far .☝️👌.

Obviously this could change at anytime

Obviously this could change at anytime it's only been available for a short time

I believe the developer has this router from 2022 even before it was released. The reason I say your chances are slim. Asuswrt-Merlin was never released for it.

Model support

Q: Will you support the RT-xxxxxx that was just announced?
A: See detailed answer in post #3.

Post #3

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-read-me-first-before-posting-a-question.47153/#post-609193
Q: Will you add support for model XYZ?

A: The decision whether or not to support a new model depend on a long list of factors, which may evolve over time. Right now:

- It needs to be Broadcom-based

- It needs to be widely available (not just in two or three countries)

- It needs to have high-end hardware so I don't have to fight with lack of flash or RAM

- It needs to receive frequent enough GPLs so I won't have to regularly skip it due to the GPL being outdated

- I need to have one

- I need to have the time to try supporting it

- I need to have the motivation to try supporting it

Each new model requires its own dedicated support. That means every time I work on a new firmware release, I have to work on each separate model, and I need GPL releases from Asus for each individual model, and I need to merge each of them separately. So that means if I support 10 different routers, then I need to merge in the content of 10 different GPL releases, and these need to be close enough to one another to still be compatible. The more models I support, the harder this is to accomplish, therefore I am VERY conservative regarding adding any new model.

So don't ask if/when a new model will be supported.
I cannot speculate about future model support, and until I have working support for a model, I cannot answer that question.
Thanks For the reply it's very much appreciated!...I did not purchase this router solely on the purpose that it could run Merlin software anyway it would have just been a bonus anyway I'm not all that fussed.

The stock firmware as it is extremely comprehensive and offers absolutely way more advanced features than I've ever had in any of my previous routers that being my recent Netgear Nighthawk which are pretty decent models and Linksys not my greatest of routers to be honest. My previous TP- Link router on the other hand I still use as a Dumb DSL/ VDSL connection to my ISP and setup as bridge mode with the Asus that's 8 years old and still works 100%. 🙂☝️.

Marcd5123, I start with the Merlin Supported List, and go from there to narrow router purchases down.

One router I support and use is an RT- AX3000 that, on paper, isn't that great. Runs a single family home with a work from home exec, two kids, TVs (I prefer to hard wire TVs but not able to, so they are wireless, iPads for kids, iPhones, etc. No problems thanks to Merlin, just works.

The router you got will be fine without Merlin, but, having merlin is like upgrading your car from the Base Model to the XLE package with better tires, shocks, controls, etc.

You have a fine router though just with standard firmware.

Note: also have a GT-AX6000, simply solid and great signal, Merlin, looks like a Head Crab, so it checks all the boxes! Your new router is more advanced with Wifi6E--so enjoy!

If you want RMerlin you buy one that is already supported. it is one of need for such forum to advice what router you shall buy and you should take advantage of it.

RMerlin is not supporting all routers just few that most popular or ones that make differences. One you bought it is not thing special is using even one core for wi-fi (in the past such routers where avoided by RMerlin)

if some1 make decision to go with Asus router RMerlin will make a difference - I would never bought one that do not have support of it.

buying new release router is a gambling you do not know what will be stability of it, if you will not need to reboot it same time, how wi-fi will work after same time etc.

I advice especially new members to ask for help to chose router for your needs.

I believe the developer has this router from 2022 even before it was released. The reason I say your chances are slim. Asuswrt-Merlin was never released for it.
No worries...Thanks Once again as stated to another member the Stock firmware is vastly more advanced than any other brand model I've had before that being NETGEAR nighthawk and Tp-Link routers and their some of the very best out their at the moment. So for me it's more important it does wireguard so I can use my surf shark VPN directly set up on the router itself rather than on the client devices and it does lots of others features light direct DNS lookups on the router itself how cool is that !!!. Very impressive firmware .

The stock firmware as it is extremely comprehensive and offers absolutely way more advanced features than I've ever had in any of my previous routers

Some of that is directly thanks to Merlin--Asus takes good features/code from Merlin and adds it in to stock AsusWRT. Symbiotic, and Merlin is generous in terms of open source/copyrights, etc.

Again, that's a great router you have and will provide great service!

Marcd5123, I start with the Merlin Supported List, and go from there to narrow router purchases down.

One router I support and use is an RT- AX3000 that, on paper, isn't that great. Runs a single family home with a work from home exec, two kids, TVs (I prefer to hard wire TVs but not able to, so they are wireless, iPads for kids, iPhones, etc. No problems thanks to Merlin, just works.

The router you got will be fine without Merlin, but, having merlin is like upgrading your car from the Base Model to the XLE package with better tires, shocks, controls, etc.

You have a fine router though just with standard firmware.

Note: also have a GT-AX6000, simply solid and great signal, Merlin, looks like a Head Crab, so it checks all the boxes! Your new router is more advanced with Wifi6E--so enjoy!
Thank you very much!..I've known Netgear and Asus scene the 1990's and my Highschool and college days this is the first time I've actually owned an Asus router ..They were known back then for their PC motherboards and RAID controllers from memory I used to fit them in spoke PCs and upgraded people's PCs along with MSI and Gigabyte motherboards ext .They were amazing and revolutionary times back then.
Anyhow thank you again 🙂👍.