What's new

ASUS RT-AXE7800 TIPS & TRICKS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

marcd5123

Occasional Visitor
Hi Everyone..Just wondering if their was any particular good tips or tricks with getting these to work at their most optimum I've only recently purchased this brand new fantastic router .

Attachments

• IMG_20240317_132908.jpg
    IMG_20240317_132908.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 12
Honestly, the only tip I can give you is return this RT-AXE7800 to Amazon and get one of the Pro series instead - RT-AX86U Pro or better. This router is actually weaker hardware compared to your old router and similar to mid-range RT-AX82U V2 model hardware. The 3.0.0.4 firmware (Asuswrt 4.0) it is running will never be updated to 3.0.0.6 (Asuswrt 5.0) and perhaps this model will have shorter life compared to Pro series. The CPU used is ARMv7 and if you decide at some point to try VPN client/server you'll be disappointed by slow performance. The Pro series routers have much faster ARMv8 CPU and will move on to 3.0.0.6 firmware base perhaps by the end of this year.

Honestly, the only tip I can give you is return this RT-AXE7800 to Amazon and get one of the Pro series instead - RT-AX86U Pro or better. This router is actually weaker hardware compared to your old router and similar to mid-range RT-AX82U V2 model hardware. The 3.0.0.4 firmware (Asuswrt 4.0) it is running will never be updated to 3.0.0.6 (Asuswrt 5.0) and perhaps this model will have shorter life compared to Pro series. The CPU used is ARMv7 and if you decide at some point to try VPN client/server you'll be disappointed by slow performance. The Pro series routers have much faster ARMv8 CPU and will move on to 3.0.0.6 firmware base perhaps by the end of this year.

Hi Thanks for the information I'll keep that in mind and see how I go I've absolutely plenty of time to send that back to Amazon and exchange it for the other router if I want to .

To be honest as it stands at the moment only owning this router for 4 days I'm very impressed with it so far ..the features it offer as it stands beats both my previous Netgear and TPlink way more than I need .

I'll take your advice and keep it in mind .I'm going to stick with what I've purchased for some weeks yet and make my own judgment whether I feel I'm happy with it or it's under preforming for my needs .

As streaming goes so far it's been rock solid on channel 100 at 80mhz my previous Netgear had serious issues with sticking to channel 100 as obviously it's DFS channel so far it's been 4 days and it still with channel 100 that alone is a huge improvement.

My next step is to set it up with brand new Wireguard VPN along with my surfshark account and if that works like a dream then I'm definitely sticking with it !!!.. if it does over the coming weeks start to misbehave or under preform then I may exchange it with the 86 pro model otherwise I'm not going to no point.

For me a item can have as much memory as possible and the best specs in thr world yet if the software is not optimised correctly then it will perform like crap .

This is why the Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 which I owned is still largely regarded as supreme!!! Yes it's old by 2024 standards and yes the specs maybe low by 2024 standards but Nvidia has absolutely optimised the software so so well it still works for me like a dream .

So just because another model has "superior" specifications does not mean in my opinion preform better than a so called lower model .

For me I certainly don't class a £200+ router cheap in my books !! This is definitely the better end of the market and so far for me it seems to be performing like that .🙂👍👌

My next step is to set it up with brand new Wireguard VPN along with my surfshark account and if that works

You'll get around 300Mbps on WireGuard and 100Mbps on OpenVPN. A Pro model router can get around 500Mbps on WireGuard and 250Mbps on OpenVPN. This is where the big difference is. Not to mention something like RT-AX86U Pro may be actually cheaper and takes less space. The 6GHz band you have on RT-AXE7800 is mostly for marketing purposes. It's a weaker 2-stream radio with less range. Best used perhaps as dedicated wireless link to something like VR set in the same room.

I'm not going to no point

The main point is better newer hardware with newer firmware coming to it soon expanding features and expected longer support from Asus.

You'll get around 300Mbps on WireGuard and 100Mbps on OpenVPN. A Pro model router can get around 500Mbps on WireGuard and 250Mbps on OpenVPN. This is where the big difference is. Not to mention something like RT-AX86U Pro may be actually cheaper and takes less space. The 6GHz band you have on RT-AXE7800 is mostly for marketing purposes. It's a weaker 2-stream radio with less range. Best used perhaps as dedicated wireless link to something like VR set in the same room.
Fair enough... Again I'll leave things as they are with what I've decided to do .

I'm still after best tips and trick with what I've got and very much looking forward over the coming weeks experimenting with it . I'm a home user and have a handful of devices the specs as they are on this AXE7800 is way more than I need to run the things that I run . If it gives me the stability that I want and offers enough decent VPN performance via wireguard as I have a FTTC VDSL connection then that suits me perfectly fine . I also use Kodi and have a Nvidia shield with a RD account again if the AXE7800 runs this extremely well then I will again stick with the AXE7800 ....I'm not so fussed if the other router essentially has a slightly higher spec CPU and memory ...If the current AXE7800 runs all the above far better than my previous Netgear Nighthawk then that a huge win for me ..Theirs absolutely no point me faffing about changing routers and making more necessary work for myself if the current AXE7800 does it all .Why create more work for my self and spend more money unnecessarily.

It's still very feature packed and it still.offers WiFi 6E performance despite whether it has a limited range or not I only have a small flat anyway so that's neither here or their for me .

It's very subjective and this will differ with different environment these routers are used in .

I've had several routers over that past 10 years so far this Asus AXE7800 could !...we'll be the very best I've had .

I still stand by my own previous statements specs aren't everything all the time not with my own past experience working in IT and electronics industry scene the 1990's...

Experience is what really will serve me well more so than just specifications .

Each to their own I say .🙂☝️👌.

I'm not so fussed if the other router essentially has a slightly higher spec CPU and memory ...

Your money, your decisions.

Tips and Tricks - it runs Asuswrt 4.0, whatever is available on similar routers.

Specifics - you may have to wait a bit, this router is not popular model around.

Asuswrt 4.0 features advertisement here:

Your money, your decisions.

Tips and Tricks - it runs Asuswrt 4.0, whatever is available on similar routers.

Specifics - you may have to wait a bit, this router is not popular model around.

Asuswrt 4.0 features advertisement here:
Hi Yes thats correct !....Thanks for the answer I will check and have some interesting reading to do .
Many thanks. I do however still value your information/input and I have taken a mental note of it . I'm basing my decision on what I feel best suits my devices in my current situation/environment large Studio Flat so I feel that's the logical and responsible thing to do. Yes I certainly don't mind spending a "little" extra on something like this but it's got to be worth my while and value for money and what I can realistically get back out of the product . I dont sadly have a FTTP connection only a 80/20 VDSL FTTC connection so the 7800 still more than enough caters for my needs in my flat and that's still rather somewhat overkill anyway . I've got to be sensible about it as well .

I live in Uxbridge -West London my self and they still have to fully roll out FTTP for the block of flats here in the coming years . 🙂

There is an Asuswrt WebUI Demo on-line. It's shows the older 386 firmware, but most of the features in 388 firmware are very similar. You can use it to get yourself familiar with the WebUI without disturbing your working router too much. I'm using it to show examples of settings since I don't always have an Asus router running around me.

The demo is here:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!