What's new

ASUS RT-N56U beta firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Okay, here it is:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/45839665/RT-N56U_Beta_3.0.0.4_337_20130131.trx

and here's the md5 checksum:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/45839665/RT-N56U_Beta_3.0.0.4_337_20130131.md5

Note that there are no guarantees that there aren't other breakages in this firmware, it is beta. In fact, I wouldn't recommend playing with it unless you are experiencing the specific wireless IPv6 problem at issue.
I tested .337 and have encountered multiple stutterings and lags over time on xbox live via 2.4Ghz wifi. The connection seems so fast whenever the game starts but it will begin to lag and eventually the game becomes unbearable and the router needs to be reboot.

How should I resolve this problem?

I tested .337 and have encountered multiple stutterings and lags over time on xbox live via 2.4Ghz wifi. The connection seems so fast whenever the game starts but it will begin to lag and eventually the game becomes unbearable and the router needs to be reboot.

Does the IPv6 over wireless work for you now?

If you're having other problems, I'd suggest getting them to Jeremy at Asus Support (cl-jeremy@asus.com) so that Asus knows about them. Give him lots of information about firmware version, your settings, any pertinent log entries, etc. And remember that this is a beta release, so it isn't fully tested or supported by Asus.

Does the IPv6 over wireless work for you now?

If you're having other problems, I'd suggest getting them to Jeremy at Asus Support (cl-jeremy@asus.com) so that Asus knows about them. Give him lots of information about firmware version, your settings, any pertinent log entries, etc. And remember that this is a beta release, so it isn't fully tested or supported by Asus.
ipv6 is working

ipv6 is working

Great, glad to hear it. It worked for me as well. I've switched over to the RT-N66U again, trying the new firmware for that. That's also working well for me, much better than the previous beta firmware for it. Nice to have fully functional routers again.

If you tell Jeremy at Asus about your Xbox problem, it's likely to get fixed in the next official release. Unless you've already figured it out, but what you're describing does sound like a firmware problem instead of a configuration problem.

Great, glad to hear it. It worked for me as well. I've switched over to the RT-N66U again, trying the new firmware for that. That's also working well for me, much better than the previous beta firmware for it. Nice to have fully functional routers again.

If you tell Jeremy at Asus about your Xbox problem, it's likely to get fixed in the next official release. Unless you've already figured it out, but what you're describing does sound like a firmware problem instead of a configuration problem.
How can I contact jeremy? Should I Just PM him about the problem?

How can I contact jeremy? Should I Just PM him about the problem?

I gave you his email address above (cl-jeremy@asus.com), that's how I've gotten n touch with him. You could also try a pm, that should send him an email that he has a pm *smile*.

never used such a bad firmware @RT-N56U, wifi totally fu*ked up :(
hope v337 will never release as stable...
anyway thanks for link to try it :)

never used such a bad firmware @RT-N56U, wifi totally fu*ked up :(
hope v337 will never release as stable...
anyway thanks for link to try it :)
Slamb, may I ask whether your wifi is messed up on 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz? or even both?

I found that 5Ghz was more unstable and likely to have lags than 2.4Ghz in the previous betas and official firmware versions.

I am running .337 at the moment. (Have previously tried 260, 318 and 334).

I still cannot avoid the MgmtRing clogging the logs all the time. I thought they were resolved in one of the betas with a reset function (I think .260), but that firmware had other issues. It was there in 1.0.1.8n, when I reverted to test.

I can't remember the last 1.x version that didn't have this in the log (which I am currently considering dropping back to). Does anyone know if this was the case in any of the 1.x firmwares?

337 seems to give slow responses to page loading over 2.4GHz. e.g. I try to load a webpage, and it appears to be taking forever, but loads straight away when clicking refresh.

I'm going to try the .206 version tonight as that appears to be the one people keep going back to.

One annoying thing I have noticed is that the NTP link doesn't account for DST (like you can set in DD-WRT), so all the times in my logs are out by 1 hour. I'd rather have the wireless issues fixed before this though!

This started out good for me but has gotten increasingly worse. Log errors, slow loading pages.... Once again going back to 206. It's a shame such a nice router has so many issues. Thinking of ditching it all together

This started out good for me but has gotten increasingly worse. Log errors, slow loading pages.... Once again going back to 206. It's a shame such a nice router has so many issues. Thinking of ditching it all together

.337 is beta firmware, not a fully tested release. I'm glad that .206 is working for you, I'd stay with that until the next full, official release, assuming that .334 isn't working for you. Also, you might try Padavan's firmware, that has worked well for me aside from IPv6. And IPv6 may work okay with Padavan's firmware for those that use a tunnel rather than those that are using Comcast "Native DHCP-PD" connection type.

Last edited:

I've got the same exact problem that you do, wired or wirelessly. Changing firmwares has not resolved it and I've tried just about every single firmware available.

Jeremy, if you're reading this - I really hope this gets resolved! Amazing that my 5+ year old Linksys WRT router gives me no problems at all but this one can't even get me through a game of Call of Duty or Halo without any lag. (first world problems, I know ;) )

I've got the same exact problem that you do, wired or wirelessly. Changing firmwares has not resolved it and I've tried just about every single firmware available.

Jeremy, if you're reading this - I really hope this gets resolved! Amazing that my 5+ year old Linksys WRT router gives me no problems at all but this one can't even get me through a game of Call of Duty or Halo without any lag. (first world problems, I know )

I got it resolved using the latest padavan build, you should give it a try.

same here, -042 is pretty solid to me(and really fast too, unlike previous build). i had to reboot all the time before. now no more headache