What's new

ASus rt n56u port problems with VoIP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ilovemymac

New Around Here
I got this router becaue it was supposed to be really fast and allot faster then m 3 yr old apple time capsule.

Bit I am having a heck of a time with it. I got a new VoIP provider viatalk. Well I forwarded the ports they ask for. And it still doesn't work. When I do a port check from my computer the ports I opened don't show up.

So I am doing something wrong or I have a faulty router.
Thanks

Ports won't appear to be open even if they are, because they are stealthed, by way of ping block. Does your ATA, softphone, or IP phone at least register to viatalk, but you get no dial tone? What doesn't work? Be precise...

i get a dial tone and can dial out. but it will only ring once.
It connects to the other person but no one can hear me and its a very delayed voice when they talk to me.

I never had a problem when it was my time capsule/ airport extreme. The firewall is turned off so i am not sure why the ports need to even be forwarded.
This router is such a pain.

Good sign, and it appears QoS might be the culprit. Try loading the latest firmware, if not fixed then disable QoS features.

Last edited:
I got this router becaue it was supposed to be really fast and allot faster then m 3 yr old apple time capsule.

Bit I am having a heck of a time with it. I got a new VoIP provider viatalk. Well I forwarded the ports they ask for. And it still doesn't work. When I do a port check from my computer the ports I opened don't show up.

So I am doing something wrong or I have a faulty router.
Thanks

I had ViaTalk for several months, some time back. Perpetual beta test quality/reliability, though I had a paid subscription.
I then changed to VoicePulse - mature, solid. Then one day their hosting center had a calamity and they were down for a long time. For some reason, they never recovered from that and all their customers were livid.
I then changed to VoIPo. It wasn't as good as VoicePulse pre-calamity. Lots of recurring problems.
I gave up on dirt cheap VoIP and went with cableCo digital phone, at twice the price - which is still half of what AT&T had been charging me for decades. This phone has been very reliable, wireline quality.

On your problem: I had those sort of problems and others, variously blamed by VoIPo on incorrect port forwarding, incorrect SIP session processing in my router, etc. At one point they said "forward ALL ports" to the ATA. Well that's stupid and doesn't work as my home server and security cameras and NAS need a few dedicated ports. Then VoIPo said I must move the ATA back to be between the cable modem and the router's WAN input (Grandstream ATA). I had tried that and it caused more port forwarding problems for my gear, slowed my 20Mbps speeds, and exposed my ATA to the whole of the Internet. So I decided to bail on VoIPo. Also many problems with DTMF (touch tones) sent to services I call (press 1 for ...) where often the tones didn't work. Grr.

As the primary phone for a residence, for folks that want E911 to most likely work when needed (we had one life-saving event on E911 and it's not to be taken glibly) - we elected the digital phone via the cable, with the digital phone modem with internal battery, with its own cable feed with no house amplifier (power failure issue), and not at all connected with the cable modem or LAN.

Last edited:
I have the same router and use Viatalk - no issues. I have the viatalk adapter in the DMZ, and use the 'static DHCP' or whatever it's called to force a 'static' IP on the linksys adapter.

I have the same router and use Viatalk - no issues. I have the viatalk adapter in the DMZ, and use the 'static DHCP' or whatever it's called to force a 'static' IP on the linksys adapter.

Thanks TechnikalKP,

I assumed they had forwarded the correct ports already and so proceeded to troubleshoot from there. Chances are the OP used portforward.com suggestions rather than Viatalk's current instructions for port forwarding, which don't match up.

http://bit.ly/p9zDAW

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Asus/RT-N56U/Viatalk.htm

I am guessing port 69 is used for remote admin and for firmware updates, wouldn't you want to block such from the internet and forgo using DMZ as well? If using DMZ, can remote admin be disabled without requiring a reset defaults to get back admin capabilities?

Last edited:
The problem is i don't have QOS turned on.
How can you forward 1025-10000 ports? thats allot of ports.

Also i have no firewall turned on i don't get why its not just passing through

Last edited:
The problem is i don't have QOS turned on.
How can you forward 1025-10000 ports? thats allot of ports.

Also i have no firewall turned on i don't get why its not just passing through

In fact, it's even more ports if you had looked at Viatalk's instructions in the first link. Ports 1025 - 65535 covers SIP ports as well as any and all RTP audio ports. That large range of ports is required and either putting the ATA in the DMZ or forwarding that range should fix the problem. I would advise not to put the ATA in the DMZ unless you have to, and if you do make sure the web admin is off or has a good password. What modem do you use, maybe it has another firewall blocking ports?

Last edited:
its a Ambit Modem U10C018 i have road runner.
I forwarded ports 10000 to 20000 and 5060 5061 and 5080 5081
seems to work now. This morning the voice quality was bad but i think it was because i was uploading a file at 150K which is pretty close to max upload speed.

how to you open a web admin on the linxsys phone thing they gave?
I have my computer on the DMZ right now its the only way i could get get speeds when downloading

Why only 10000-20000 range? Someone from Viatalk tech support tell you to? Chances are the audio only works when the random ports used for audio happen to be in that small range. Seems you're not too concerned with security over speed, so why not open the rest? You should only be concerned about any ports leading to remote web admin which is below the ranges 1025 starting port.

I would assume the linksys is a PAP2, which most likely has web admin on port 80, but Viatalk's port forwarding instructions do not list port 80(probably omitted the instruction to open web admin port for security reasons). Does the ATA have an DHCP reservation or static IP, so there won't be any problems should it's lease expire and lose the port configuration?

You can forward the entire range they require(1025 - 65535) in one single ruleset, instead of your current three separate rules and since all your current ports fall in that range, they will be open as well. Simple!

Last edited:
if i open all those ports then i can't have them open for other devices like my computer and then for my Appltetv2

Its working but i just can't get why i need to open ports when firewall is turned off. I don't need a firewall never have needed one. I have never had one turned on with any previous router and never had to open ports. But now this asus is a pain. I got it because i had read it was fast and it had great reviews. But now i think i hate it.

The reason i forwarded those ports was because of the port forward page

Guess just the change made to ports 5080-5081 fixed it then. Must be the large range they call for is to account for many brands of ATAs they support with BYOD, some things just use defined RTP audio port ranges and some just use random ones.

At least it is working, might talk to ASUS about the disabled firewall problem.

I have been using viatalk for four years, and have set that PAP2 in the DMZ from the start on all my routers. Can't remember if the Asus has that feature amongst the many pages of options.