What's new

ASUS RT-N56U TCP cubic?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mat77

Regular Contributor
what TCP is used on the ASUS RT-N56U on Padavan´s Firmware?

In the logs I see:

TCP: cubic registered
TCP: reno registered

how can I see what TCP mode is used? And how can I change it?
Is it possible to change?

Check out this thread on activating and deactivating TCP congestion control protocols:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=28816

Thank you very much !

I read the Thread. It seems to improve ping times and most users disable qos if they use TCP_Vegas

If I use this commands:

echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_westwood
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_vegas_cong_avoid
echo 3 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_vegas_alpha
echo 3 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_vegas_beta

it should be enabled. In the DD-WRT Thread they write that if you reboot your Router all settings are lost because of "echo".

Is this the case also for the ASUS Router? If yes I will try to test it. And if I´m not happy with it I only have to reboot and all settings are default again.

after reading longer (I wrote too fast) it seems that we can´t use TCP_VEGAS

If I enter this command:

cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_available_congestion_control

I only see cubic and reno. There is no other option available.

And to see what is used:

cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_congestion_control

it´s cubic.

Yeah, the TCP congestion protocols need to be built in in order for you to switch to them. I only wished Merlin would include support for Cubic/Vegas in his builds. One of the few things I loved about DD-WRT, the amount of configurability it had.

Last edited:
Yeah, the TCP congestion protocols need to be built in in order for you to switch to them. I only wished Merlin would include support for Cubic/Vegas in his builds. One of the few things I loved about DD-WRT, the amount of configurability it had.

you mean there is no cubic?

my next Router will be a Router where I can use DD-WRT.

you mean there is no cubic?

my next Router will be a Router where I can use DD-WRT.

Cubic is the default congestion control scheme in Asuswrt...

cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_allowed_congestion_control

all yield reno as well as

dmesg | grep reno

yielding

TCP Reno registered

I know Cubic has been made the default for linux kernels for a while now, but thats for like recent kernels only.

Last edited:
cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_allowed_congestion_control

all yield reno as well as

dmesg | grep reno

yielding

TCP Reno registered

I know Cubic has been made the default for linux kernels for a while now, but thats for like recent kernels only.

Guess it helps when people specify which router they are talking about.

The RT-AC56 and RT-AC68U default to cubic, while the RT-N66 and AC66 default to reno.

No idea about the RT-N56U (they use a different kernel tree from those I listed).

BTW, I have yet to see a reliable, technical explanation confirming whether congestion control has any effect at all on a router. Some people argue it only has effect on the actual endpoints (for instance if you were running a Linux server or desktop). Other swear they saw a measurable difference. And all the whitepapers I've browsed through so far only tested it on the endpoint rather than on a router sitting between two points.

Personally, I'm waiting for someone who has actual hands-on experience with the Linux kernel code to provide a technical explanation as to whether it does make a difference or not. Anecdotal experiences just don't cut it for me, not when they're all conflicting.

Guess it helps when people specify which router they are talking about.

The RT-AC56 and RT-AC68U default to cubic, while the RT-N66 and AC66 default to reno.

No idea about the RT-N56U (they use a different kernel tree from those I listed).

BTW, I have yet to see a reliable, technical explanation confirming whether congestion control has any effect at all on a router. Some people argue it only has effect on the actual endpoints (for instance if you were running a Linux server or desktop). Other swear they saw a measurable difference. And all the whitepapers I've browsed through so far only tested it on the endpoint rather than on a router sitting between two points.

Personally, I'm waiting for someone who has actual hands-on experience with the Linux kernel code to provide a technical explanation as to whether it does make a difference or not. Anecdotal experiences just don't cut it for me, not when they're all conflicting.

I read the same. But if it has NO effect. It would mean that on a Windows I always have TCP RENO - because this is default in Windows. Windows also can use Compund TCP since Windows Vista.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compound_TCP

now I would like to know what is used on my xbox if the Router has now effect.

It seems that the handling to activate different Settings ind Windows 8 and 8.1 has changed to Windows 7 and before:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh826120.aspx

Last edited:
Still ... can we get Cubic support on the RT-N66X? :D

If I add Cubic, then someone will ask for Vegas. Then someone else will ask for Westwood.

Not sure I want to jump into a pointless arms race, to be honest. I might consider adding Cubic but only because it's what Linux uses by default in newer versions. Provided that Cubic doesn't have any known issue in those older kernels (which could explain why it was not the default in these kernels).

This means more research, and at this point this is very, very low priority for the reasons I enumerated before.