What's new

Asus RT-N66U someone please explain the firewall to me.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jesseasi

New Around Here
I have an FTP server I run at home.

My old D-Link router had a feature where I could filter incoming requests by IP allowing only my white listed IP's to get through. Blocking all other ip's.

My FTP server continually gets attacked with thousands of login attempts.

I would like to figure out how I can block all incoming FTP requests except those from known white list IP's.

Can anyone tell me how I can stop the attacks?

I have over 100,000 failed login attempts in the last 2 hours on my home FTP site. How do I block all incoming IP's from attempting to log into my FTP except for known "white list" IPs?

Anyone?

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me how I can stop the attacks?

I have over 100,000 failed login attempts in the last 2 hours on my home FTP site. How do I block all incoming IP's from attempting to log into my FTP except for known "white list" IPs?

Anyone?

I know it's not the answer you are looking for but don't your FTP server software has this option ?

Running a scaled down linux kernal (UnRaid).

So installing and setting up a firewall there is pretty much over my head. Especially when my old DLink Router had this feature.

I have not used Tomato or DD-WRT - but does anyone know if these firewall features are "easy to use" or built into these firmwares?

Maybe trying one of these will solve my issues?

Tomato allows port forwarding rules including limitations on the source address:

• Src Address (optional) - Forward only if from this address. Ex: "1.2.3.4", "1.2.3.4 - 2.3.4.5", "1.2.3.0/24", "me.example.com".
  • Ext Ports - The ports to be forwarded, as seen from the WAN. Ex: "2345", "200,300", "200-300,400".
  • Int Port (optional) - The destination port inside the LAN. If blank, the destination port is the same as Ext Ports. Only one port per entry is supported when forwarding to a different internal port.
  • Int Address - The destination address inside the LAN.

I was also confused by the "firewall" feature.

1. Outgoing packets.

The "firewall" in the RT-N66U only blocks outgoing packets. It has nothing at all to do with incoming packets.
Per email with ASUS support, here is how to prevent all devices on your LAN from sending outgoing packets from your #12345 ports. Leave blanks in the first 3 columns of the firewall table. Col 4 = 12345. Col 5 = TCP

(Per ASUS) First 3 columns are blank. Column 4 “Port range” has some of our port numbers. Each on its own line. Col 5 is TCP. List of our ports that we are preventing from sending outbound packets: 2789, 8006, 8010, 8080.

2. Incoming packets.

The router handles these with NAT. NAT is on by default.