What's new

Asus Web page redirect

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

steve_togo

Occasional Visitor
I have a T-Mobile AC 68u router running on Merlin I have the version 376.47 firmware on it and today all of a sudden all of my devices including my tablets and pc started redirecting to the routers admin page. this issue was resolved after i rebooted my router, I am concerned now could my router be hacked.

Please help.

Thanks,
Steve

I believe it will do that if your link to your Internet connection (cable modem, etc.) or the connection from the modem to the carrier is down.

If it happens again, check your WAN status.

It would be nice if it would redirect to a page with a specific message.

Thanks for the Prompt response . Will I be able to replicate it in any way, I just want to make sure that I am safe online.

Thank you For the prompt response

Will I be able to replicate it in any way

Sure. Test both conditions.

1. Disconnect the Ethernet cable between your router and your modem. See if you get the redirect.

2. Reconnect the Ethernet, give DHCP some time to work, then try again. Make sure you don't get the redirect.

3. Disconnect the connection from your modem to cable/DSL. See if you get e redirect.

4. Reconnect, give the modem time to re-establish, make sure you don't get the redirect.

That doesn't prove you weren't hacked. But it will give you some reassurance about how the redirect for disconnected Internet works.

I think there's a third condition, which would be if the modem DHCP is not handing you an address. (Which could happen, for example, if you've just swapped-out routers and your ISP limits you to one MAC address talking to the modem.)

Thank you will try it out, but when this happened last time it did not work automatically. I had to reboot my router. Is it supposed to not redirect automatically after the wan connection is restored.?

Sure. Test both conditions.

1. Disconnect the Ethernet cable between your router and your modem. See if you get the redirect.

2. Reconnect the Ethernet, give DHCP some time to work, then try again. Make sure you don't get the redirect.

3. Disconnect the connection from your modem to cable/DSL. See if you get e redirect.

4. Reconnect, give the modem time to re-establish, make sure you don't get the redirect.

That doesn't prove you weren't hacked. But it will give you some reassurance about how the redirect for disconnected Internet works.

I think there's a third condition, which would be if the modem DHCP is not handing you an address. (Which could happen, for example, if you've just swapped-out routers and your ISP limits you to one MAC address talking to the modem.)
Thank you will try it out, but when this happened last time it did not work automatically. I had to reboot my router. Is it supposed to not redirect automatically after the wan connection is restored.?
Oh, just curious... T-mobile has some kind of landline service? Or you're using a USB cell modem?
No it is a wireless router that t mobile provides for all its subscribers for free.

Oh, just curious... T-mobile has some kind of landline service? Or you're using a USB cell modem?

As Steve stated, TMobile provides this router (TM-AC1900) free to their subscribers (on a lease like basis - have to return if you leave them). It's the same hardware as an Asus RT-AC68U and has been flashed by many people in firmware and bootloader to make it a full RT-AC68U.

It was, at one time, $99.00 for non TMobile customers, which makes it a steal compared to the price of the RT-AC68U.

Actually, reading the documentation more carefully, I see it says that it will redirect to "an error page". So, this may not be what you are seeing.

But my experience when I first installed my router is that it just redirected to the main router page until the cable modem provided DHCP. I did not see an error page.

You can control this in the UI. Click on the WAN tab on the left, then Internet Connection tab at the top. There is a drop-down for "Redirect to Error Page".

You can choose:

- never
- when link down
- when WAN down
- Link or WAN down