What's new

Extend Aimesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

homer68

New Around Here
Hi

I have an Aimesh system at home that works pretty well. One XT8 as main router and 3 extra XT8 nodes. I now would like to extend towards another place in the house.
The idea is to buy a new main router and use the existing XT8 as the extra node.
I'm looking for a better (tri-band) router then the XT8, in terms of (LAN) speed, lagging.
Through my ISP I have 1Gbps. All is over Wifi, except NAS and several IP camera

Any suggestions? I was looking at the RT-AXE7800. Any thoughts on that? Other ideas?
Thank you

You need a router with 2x 5GHz bands like GT-AX11000 Pro. One 5GHz radio for dedicated wireless backhaul to your existing XT8s and one for 5GHz clients. RT-AXE7800 has single 5GHz band. What your existing XT8 will connect to for wireless backhaul and what your 5GHz clients to RT-AXE7800 will use? RT-AXE7800 is in fact budget RT-AX3000 V2 hardware with one extra radio. Perhaps the most overpriced budget model router they have.

You need a router with 2x 5GHz bands like GT-AX11000 Pro. One 5GHz radio for dedicated wireless backhaul to your existing XT8s and one for 5GHz clients. RT-AXE7800 has single 5GHz band. What your existing XT8 will connect to for wireless backhaul and what your 5GHz clients to RT-AXE7800 will use? RT-AXE7800 is in fact budget RT-AX3000 V2 hardware with one extra radio. Perhaps the most overpriced budget model router they have.
thanks for your reply. I was under the impression that with a tri-band as the RT-AXE7800 I would be good and be able to have a dedicated wireless backhaul . If I understand correctly I should be looking to routers with 2 5GHz radio. I was also wondering if such an (expensive) router would show real life improvements in my home system

If I understand correctly I should be looking to routers with 2 5GHz radio.

Yes, because your existing XT8 units don't have 6GHz band.

I was also wondering if such an (expensive) router would show real life improvements in my home system

Unlikely. Real life improvements - different equipment and wired.