What's new

Release ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.23012

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Received a pushed update about a week ago and updated both XT8 units, the one as the router and the one as a node - had no problems until now.
The node is offline and is in a loop, flashes green 20 times and flashes white one time and it repeats.
Tried to add a node using the GUI on the router side but cannot find the node to add
Tried to reset the node pushing a pin into the reset hole but all it does is to go into rescue mode, led mangenta and used the downloaded tool to find the IP but it only finds the router but no node.
Connected via ethernet directly to the node using a fixed IP address in the same subnet and nothing is found.
Tried the WPS press and apply power led flashes white a couple of times green and then goes off, still go to the same original loop when it restart.
The node is now useless just sits there flashing and never goes into blue mode for set up no matter what i tried.

Received a pushed update about a week ago and updated both XT8 units, the one as the router and the one as a node - had no problems until now.
The node is offline and is in a loop, flashes green 20 times and flashes white one time and it repeats.
Tried to add a node using the GUI on the router side but cannot find the node to add
Tried to reset the node pushing a pin into the reset hole but all it does is to go into rescue mode, led mangenta and used the downloaded tool to find the IP but it only finds the router but no node.
Connected via ethernet directly to the node using a fixed IP address in the same subnet and nothing is found.
Tried the WPS press and apply power led flashes white a couple of times green and then goes off, still go to the same original loop when it restart.
The node is now useless just sits there flashing and never goes into blue mode for set up no matter what i tried.
Try the WPS reset.
Turn it off.
Hold down the WPS button while turning on.
It should blink green acouple of times and then go black.
Let go of the WPS.
Turn of then on again

First, unplug all USB drives, and all LAN and WAN cables, and perform an electrical reset by leaving the power button 'on', but remove the power plug from the router and from the wall AC power. Leave the router like that for a couple of minutes and then try to turn it back on and see if it is any better.

If not, use the following link and follow the directions for your model to do a hard factory reset.

Do this as many times as necessary to get the router to a good/known state.

Afterward, I would reflash the latest firmware (even if it is already installed), perform another hard factory reset, and then minimally and manually configure as you need it. Do not use a saved backup config file (particularly not from another (even identical) router), and do not plug in any USB drives.

If the issues persist, (and depending on how usable you were able to get the router to be with the above steps) see how far down the following link you can go. As indicated, your router may have hardware issues beyond anything possible from home to recover it 100%.

I think your xt8 is broken (regardless of firmware)
Thanks to all for the feedback. Raven76 I agree it is broken, I tried all methods including doing a factory hard reset using the WPS button with no success.
Left it on overnight to see if it would exit the loop and nothing, the node blinks 20 times green and one time white and loops again forever with no way to access the settings.
I will contact the support center tomorrow and ask them for advise

And I am back to a 1 year old firmware 386.49873. Everything since then is junk for my setup. Constantly performance issues where speed becomes so slow that any video conferencing is useless. Node is constantly disconnecting and blinking blue. If I wouldn't have paid $400 for the pair I would throw this damn thing in the trash. I cannot believe that ASUS is incapable of making a stable firmware. I did factory resets and tried 10 different firmwares and they all are not as great as this old one. I guess never change a running system is what it is with Asus routers.

And I am back to a 1 year old firmware 386.49873. Everything since then is junk for my setup. Constantly performance issues where speed becomes so slow that any video conferencing is useless. Node is constantly disconnecting and blinking blue. If I wouldn't have paid $400 for the pair I would throw this damn thing in the trash. I cannot believe that ASUS is incapable of making a stable firmware. I did factory resets and tried 10 different firmwares and they all are not as great as this old one. I guess never change a running system is what it is with Asus routers.
Not saying it will help you, but after pulling hair and was ready to buy something else, I tried the Gnuton fw and my Zenwifi has been stable for now 6 days.
It looks, almost, like the original and it should be easy to revert to Asus fw if it doesn't work for you.
Choose the RT-AX95Q_388.1_0-gnuton1_puresqubi.w file.

I did as always uploaded the fw to the node, reset and turned it of, then updated the router and reset and set up again, with separate 2.4 and 5ghz network.
Joined the node....had to set a cable between them.

Have been fighting with these XT8 v.1 for 1½ year since I got them.
When working, the connection is fast, but it constantly switches between 5ghz and 2.4ghz backhaul.
I have tried to set it to 80Mhz but it's not possible to switch off DFS.
Really tired of this and looking for other Mesh systems but still hoping to get this sh.t to work.
Mine has this problem too. I RMA'd my unit and the problem is gone.

New official firmware version out 3.0.0.4.388.23285. However this version has been the first one in a while that has been solid with an uptime of 34 days now.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!