What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.6 Memory Leak

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cc666

Very Senior Member
I have been watching this closely. This is based on a fresh install on a completly reset router.
GT-AXE16000 see below:

Merlin Ver 388_2 Memory loss listed is FREE memory

Start 27%
6 days 34%
7 days 34%
8 days 36%
9 days 37%
10 days 37%
10 Days 19 hrs 38%
12 Days 39% (Today)

As you can see it is on a steady 1% drop daily. At some point I am sure it will crash.
Anyone else seeing this.

CC

What is your Tools page showing for cache and buffers, for example?

Unlikely. Was your router ever crashing because of Out Of Memory?
Swap
Memory
Total2001.46 MB
Free1256.65 MB
Buffers9.20 MB
Cache34.29 MB

CC

Start 27%
6 days 34%
7 days 34%
8 days 36%
9 days 37%
10 days 37%
10 Days 19 hrs 38%
12 Days 39% (Today)

As you can see it is on a steady 1% drop daily. At some point I am sure it will crash.
Seeing those "Free Memory" used percent increases over the course of the router doing its job is not necessarily a sign of a memory leak at all, especially without any further context. Barring any unusual circumstances, increasing utilization of free memory is the expected normal behavior. Also, note that "Free Memory" usage percentage is a somewhat misleading metric because that tells you only the amount of RAM that is currently allocated (i.e. "used" by the system) but does not mean that all of it is unreclaimable if needed.

The more useful metric is the amount of RAM that's actually *available* (including "in use" memory pages that can be evicted, reclaimed & reallocated) when a process makes a memory allocation request for its heap or functional stack.

The current estimate of "Available Memory" & other useful metrics can be obtained from "/proc/meminfo"
For example, type the following command in an SSH terminal window:
Bash:
grep -E '^(Mem[TFA].*|Buffers|Cached):[[:blank:]]+' /proc/meminfo

I don't see why we need to worry about a problem that doesn't exist. If the router crashes in 61 days - then we'll think about it. 😎

I have been watching this closely. This is based on a fresh install on a completly reset router.
GT-AXE16000 see below:

Start 27%
6 days 34%
7 days 34%
8 days 36%
9 days 37%
10 days 37%
10 Days 19 hrs 38%
12 Days 39% (Today)

Anyone else seeing this.

CC

Keep watching it. If your router/network fails, and it fails consistently at a certain percentage, then you can worry about identifying the problem.

Linux getting hungry eating all that ram.

GT-AXE16000 see below:

Start 27%
6 days 34%
7 days 34%
8 days 36%
9 days 37%
10 days 37%
10 Days 19 hrs 38%
12 Days 39% (Today)

Anyone else seeing this.

CC

If there was a memory leak, it would have been caught by now IMHO. There are a lot of people on this FW release. To be sure, you could setup a cron job to write meminfo to a file every 10 minutes and review the output ever day for the next week so see if you have any trends of running out of memory. With 2GB ram, I suspect this won’t occur.

Also, your said fresh install on a reset router. Can you confirm you haven’t post installed additional addons?

@cc666: Always remember: unused memory is vested memory (and money) - let the Linux kernel use all the memory you have! :cool: