What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 374.42_2 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399802493.998449.jpg

Gửi từ iPhone 5s của tôi sử dụng Tapatalk

Go to the IPv6 page, and make sure radvd is enabled there.

Radvd is enabled. Actually the configuration hasn't changed since .41 where everything worked. (Connection type = Native, DHCP-PD = enabled, Auto Configuration Settings are both enabled)

My idea was that there might be some new logic that sees that at boot time there is no IPv6 connection at the WAN side and therefor does not start radvd.
As my ISP does not support IPv6 natively IPv6 connectivity only comes up later when I start aiccu creating an IPv6-in-IPv4 interface.

@ Builder71

Have you tried those commands that remove all wireless driver restrictions? Did they help your range at all?

I tried and it gives slightly better coverage compared to only changing EU to IS.
Funny enough the stock setting still gives the best 2.4GHz range.
Am I the only one seeing this?? :confused:
Back to stock settings again and live with the greatly reduced 5GHz channel options. :mad:

Let's hope ASUS will work on the RT-N66U WiFi drivers.

Attachments

• WiFi 2.4GHz.jpg
    WiFi 2.4GHz.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 346
On an RT-AC66U, I went into the console and changed regulatory settings. Did a commit to nvram then rebooted.

After which, I went into the UI and did a configuration restore and rebooted.

The console changes were not overridden by the config restore. Is this normal behaviour?

thanks.

I have to guess here, but I would say yes, normal behaviour.
The config restore will probably only keep settings which can be changed inside the GUI.
Not stuff changed with telnet or SSH.
Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Always do a "nvram get" and write down the stock value.
If you messed up, you have to do a reset to factory default.

Support is still broken for Huawei 3276 on the Three UK network sadly mate :( Thanks regardless for your efforts it was of course Asus that borked it I have spoken to UK support and they have absolutely no interest at looking at it.

374.40 Beta3 is the last good one for me

Is. 42 better than. 41,worth upgrade?

Skickat från Samsung Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk Pro

This is a known issue caused by the way stock firmware uses the OpenVPN enable option in nvram. Asus always has that setting enabled, but rely on a different setting to determine if the OpenVPN server must be started or not. So when you switch to my firmware, that setting is properly used to enable/disable an instance, so it will end up enabled by default after switching from stock to my firmware.

It's unfortunate since the issue was created when they merged my OpenVPN code into the stock firmware, and changed the way this setting is being used.

Just disable it, and you'll be fine. Not much I can do about this unfortunately, short of changing to a different setting name, which will create a whole different set of problems (people who used to really have it enabled by default won't realize their server is no longer started by default until they re-enable it).

Thanks Merlin, I can see myself using your firmware all the time in the future, so I want experience these annoying issue that Asus seem to implement.

Thanks for your time and effort you put into this work.

Certainly has been for me - I'm getting about 30% better throughput on 5GHz (w/ 40Mhz width channel) compared to .40. No idea why, but I'm not complaining!

Skickat från Samsung Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk Pro

I think it is worth it,for me this is the best firmware that I have ever used since buying my 68U back in Feb of this year.

Last edited:
I jumped from 374.40 to 374.42 today and so far it's running well. Wireless feels quite snappy too.

No, rc-code is preparing dnsmasq config (including hosts.add and dnsmasq.conf.add) and only then restarting dnsmasq daemon.

Well either way, restarting dnsmasq cleared the issue that came about after I upgraded to .42.

Asuswrt-Merlin 374.42 is out

Damn I really love Merlin Wireless is faster on .42 than .41

ASUS RT-AC66U F/W: 374.42

http://192.168.1.1/mediaserver.asp

Hi Merlin,

I just updated from 374.41 to 374.42 on my N66U and added a Media Server Directory by clicking the "Apply" button, after that my mediaserver screen appeared in this manner (the top half suddenly disappeared). I tried using Firefox, IE & Safari, all producing the same result. How do I get the full screen back? Thanks.

[URL=http://s519.photobucket.com/user/oric-1/media/mediaserver_zps3d9dd2dd.png.html][/URL]

Last edited:
As far as I know the Asus AP's/routers max power on 2.4 and 5 GHz is 200 Mw. Thats it. If you want more you wil need higher gain antenna's

I was just pointing out that your assertion that 100mW was the max allowed in the USA could be incorrect.

I tried and it gives slightly better coverage compared to only changing EU to IS.
Funny enough the stock setting still gives the best 2.4GHz range.
Am I the only one seeing this?? :confused:
Back to stock settings again and live with the greatly reduced 5GHz channel options. :mad:
What happens if you leave 2.4 set to EU and change the 5GHz band only? You could get the best of both worlds

I was just pointing out that your assertion that 100mW was the max allowed in the USA could be incorrect.

Yes, I see now that US regulations are somewhat complicated.

some other observations:

The emitted power from a radio transmitter is the result of applied electrical power and antenna gain. To comply with regulation de wireless driver has to know the antenna gain in order to keep the emitted power within the regulation. There is a variable in nvram that communicates the antenna gain for the antenna’s to the driver.
Pci/1/1/ag0 , Pci/1/1/ag1, Pci/1/1/ag2. The value 0 indicates 0db gain for the antennas. I have no information on other values. With that setting and 20mw set on 2.4 GHZ I have -60dBm connect with 20 yards and three brick walls in between.
Remember: Higher electrical gain means higher distortion of the signal. That is a rule of thumb, and of course I did not study the amplifying circuits.  A stronger signal is not always a better signal.
This goes for an AC66.

Update unsuccessful

After trying to update from 38_2 to 42 I got the error "Update unsuccessful" directly after "choose file" and upload. I tried it with Safari and Chrome (also downloaded the image with both browsers).

Also checked the MD5 hash and that is correct.

Should I update with a lower version 1st?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I am sure you aren't trying to upload the zipped file. If you have any USB drives connected remove them and try again. What router are you using?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!