What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.50 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Recently I've been trying out Panda's free antivirus on a VM at home. It's lightweight, and while Panda might not be very well known, they've been around for a long time, and generally do fairly well in test reports.
I have been hunting around for a free quality antivirus and stumbled onto Panda's free antivirus as well. The reviews were quite good and I now have it running on my main box. Running Panda and OpenDns filters seems like a good combo.

rt-ac87r 378.50 official
1. Everytime I reboot the router I have to go into WAN and hit apply or I get no internet.

2. Ongoing problem-- I can not see my DVR on wifi using the external IP, have to disable "nat acceleration" to get it to work.

3. What it the "Spanning-Tree Protocol" in LAN - switch control, from what I found disabling it helps reduce lag on games?

4. In the IPv6 section what does "Enable Router Advertisement" do and should this be disabled since I have IPv6 disabled?

5. In the IPv6 section what does "Enable DHCPv6 Server" do and should this be disabled since I have IPv6 disabled?

6. In the DHCP section "Lease time" does it represent minutes or?

I used the asus recovery tool, reset router to factory defaults, the only thing i did not do is wps reset.

Testing for lag on ps4, time will tell.

Please advise on my questions please.

Last edited:
i have problem with my new 87u. :(
I set lan ip eg. 10.0.0.1 (but other like 172.0.0.1 also) save changes, and internet work ok, but when i reboot router internet stop working, but enough change in "LAN/DHCP Serwer" like enter "router domain name", and save changes, then internet start working.
Next router reboot and again internet stop working :eek:
On 66u this config work ok

btw. default router domain name is empty

Last edited:
Hi all, I have a nat-start script in the jffs/scripts/ location with the following code:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

iptables -I FORWARD -i br0 -o tun11 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD -i tun11 -o br0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD -i br0 -o vlan1 -j DROP
iptables -I INPUT -i tun11 -j REJECT
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o tun11 -j MASQUERADE

I have the file set as executable, jffs enabled, and OpenVPN set to start with WAN. I used to not be able to access the internet if the VPN was disconnected but now it goes through. Any ideas? much appreciated, thanks!

Quoted from the first post in this thread:

IMPORTANT: custom config and user scripts support must now be manually enabled on the Administration -> System page. This was done because the JFFS partition is now enabled by default, to be in line with Asus's own firmware (and also because they are starting to make use of that partition for new features). Script/configs default to disabled so in case of a broken script preventing your router from booting, you'll still be able to recover it through a factory default reset.

@RMerlin

I have been trying to search around but couldn't found anything about his.
When i enable Parental Controls - Time Scheduling and add two clients in the list. I notice that I had two more lines in my Port Forwarding table in System Log.
Is this normal when enabling Parental Controls?
Maybe one line is normal, but in may case I do have a duplicate lines.

I don't get that rule at all when enabling Time Scheduling. Something else in your configuration must be generating these, since they specifically refer to port 80, while parental control is strictly time-based, so the only rules created will refer to the client's MAC.

i have problem with my new 87u. :(
I set lan ip eg. 10.0.0.1 (but other like 172.0.0.1 also) save changes, and internet work ok but when i reboot router internet stop working, but enough change in "LAN/DHCP Serwer" like enter router domain name, and save changes, then internet start working.
Next router reboot and again internet stop working :eek:
On 66u this config work ok

btw. default router domain name is empty

Try changing DHCP more to "Normal" under WAN (it defaults to aggressive).

rt-ac87r 378.50 official
1. Everytime I reboot the router I have to go into WAN and hit apply or I get no internet.

Read the System Log for any hint as to what is going on. We'd also need more information such as what type of WAN connection you actually have.

Try changing DHCP mode from "Aggressive" to "Normal" on the WAN page.

2. Ongoing problem-- I can not see my DVR on wifi using the external IP, have to disable "nat acceleration" to get it to work.

The NAT loopback should be fixed with 378.50. If not, then you will have to disable NAT acceleration.

3. What it the "Spanning-Tree Protocol" in LAN - switch control, from what I found disabling it helps reduce lag on games?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanning_Tree_Protocol

It should have no impact on your network unless you have an additional switch, or you have loops in your network.

4. In the IPv6 section what does "Enable Router Advertisement" do and should this be disabled since I have IPv6 disabled?

Router Advertisement is how IPv6 routers advertise their presence to the network (clever name, uh?). It replaces the old DHCP method in allocating IPs and sharing additional information with the LAN clients.

There's no harm in keeping it enabled, the router won't advertise anything if it has no IPv6 information to share.

5. In the IPv6 section what does "Enable DHCPv6 Server" do and should this be disabled since I have IPv6 disabled?

Idem. DHCPv6 is for network admins who are you confused by how RA work, and insist on sticking to the old DHCP protocol.

6. In the DHCP section "Lease time" does it represent minutes or?

Yes.

i use PPPoE and can't find this settings

Last edited:
i use PPPoE and can't find this settings

That's why it helps to provide information when you are reporting a problem - the DHCP aggressiveness setting is only available on DHCP types of connections.

You will have to check your System Log to see what happens when ppp tries to establish the PPPoE connection. Also try to disable "Enable VPN + DHCP Connection" in case it might confuse your modem (BTW, is your modem bridged?).

i disabled this settings. My modem is bridged, and as i say on rt-n66u this work ok. PPPoE also work ok becouse i can ping www.google.com and other, using Network tools/network analys in router.
When i try ping form pc i see only resolved adres but ping not respond.

i disabled this settings. My modem is bridged, and as i say on rt-n66u this work ok. PPPoE also work ok becouse i can ping www.google.com and other, using Network tools/network analys in router.
When i try ping form pc i see only resolved adres but ping not respond.

That's another important specification here. Unlike what your initial post said, your Internet does work - it's your clients that fail to route through it.

Make sure your client isn't configured with static IPs, and double check your network mask (why are you using a Class A IP BTW? Try a standard Class C, like something in the 192.168.x.y range, with a 255.255.255.0 netmask).

Check also the security software running on your PC, in case it's confused by your networking setup.

Also, test with another client to ensure the issue isn't specific to that particular PC.

its not PC. (i test 2 laptops)
now i find that enough only in tab LAN/LanIP press Apply, and internet start working. Not need anything change, for me some services not start after reboot...

i know that strange why i not use standard ip class like C but fact is rhat 87u has problem with this

Last edited:
its not PC. (i test 2 laptops)
now i find that enough only in tab LAN/LanIP press Apply, and internet start working. Not need anything change, for me some services not start after reboot...

i know that strange why i not use standard ip class like C but fact is rhat 87u has problem with this

The only thing different with the RT-AC87 versus other models is the presence of the Quantenna radio, which might make internal use of IPs that start with 10.0.0.x. (Asus also uses IPs in that range to handle redirections when the Internet is down).

The 10.0.0.0 IP block is what was originally called a Class A, because it was typically used with a network mask of 255.0.0.0, allowing up to 2^24 different IPs. A class C, such as IPs in the 192.168.x.y range use a network mask of 255.255.255.0, and allow up to 256 IPs.

Otherwise, my only guess would be there's something different in the configuration of the two routers.

@RMerlin

Thank you for the quick reply. yes, i had seen that in your ChangeLog and enabled it. Didn't seem to do the trick. I forgot to include that in my initial post.

Check if your rules do get applied:

Code:
iptables -L FORWARD -v

Also, I recommend putting something like this early in your script to validate that it does run at all:

Code:
touch /tmp/000nat-start

That should create an empty /tmp/000nat-start file.

but the problem is also for class 172.0.0.1

btw. i use static reservation if this can help.....
dhcp range 100-120, all adreses in range.

NOD32. IMO best hands down

I agree...been using NOD32 Antivirus for several years now. Keeps getting better. I've tried others (several), they've all had problems, NOD32 just works, and low impact on system performance.

Recently I've been trying out Panda's free antivirus on a VM at home. It's lightweight, and while Panda might not be very well known, they've been around for a long time, and generally do fairly well in test reports.

Thanks i'll give it a try.

@RMerlin
i do factory default, setting up only PPPoE. Lan IP is default 192.168.1.1, and after reboot internet not work.

scheduled usb3 spindown

@RMerlin
first of all thanks for the great fw .
I wondered whether it would be possible to add a scheduled USB3 HDD spindown to the next update , or is it already possible ..
I meant that the hard drive could spindown at 2200 in the evening and would wake up in the morning 0600.
thanks in advance

Last edited: