What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.50 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Howdy folks,

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.50 is now available for download, for all supported models.

This build introduces a pretty long list of changes. Due to some of these changes Asus did (and I took the opportunity to add a few more of my own in the same direction), a factory default reset is required, followed by a manual reconfiguration of your settings.

This is not required if you were already running the 378.50 betas.

Those who don't want to go through the trouble of doing so, version 14 of John's migration script should be fine.

Let's get started with the highlights of this release:

• Merged with Asus's 378_4129 GPL code. 378 introduces a lot of changes:
    * Trend Micro DPI engine for the RT-AC68U (that means Adaptive QoS, AiProtection, etc...)
    * Switch to a new IPv6 architecture (I already did the switch in 376.49, but this is based on more up-to-date code)
    * The RT-AC68U firmware partition was increased to 64 MB, to make room for new features (that includes an upgraded bootloader)
    * Lots of changes to the Dual WAN and 3G/4G USB support
    * Updated Quantenna firmware/driver
    * Potential fix for the loopback on the RT-AC87U
  • Custom DDNS support. Rather than mess with the ez-ipupdate and the webui, I decided to go for a simpler yet far more flexible route. Custom DDNS support is implemented through a new user script called ddns-start. This means you can implement virtually any DDNS service, either through a basic shell script (many DDNS providers support updating through visiting a specific URL), or running a special DDNS client that you would compile yourself. Make sure you read the documentation on how to use this. Note that this script can also be used in parallel to a webui-configured DDNS service, if you want to update additional DDNS services.
  • IMPORTANT: custom config and user scripts support must now be manually enabled on the Administration -> System page. This was done because the JFFS partition is now enabled by default, to be in line with Asus's own firmware (and also because they are starting to make use of that partition for new features). Script/configs default to disabled so in case of a broken script preventing your router from booting, you'll still be able to recover it through a factory default reset.
  • The RT-AC68U bootloader will automatically get upgraded to the newer version. This is required to allow people to freely flash any of the newer 378_xxxx firmwares from Asus without having to go through an intermediary flash.
  • OpenSSL (1.0.0p) update. This is in addition to Asus's dnsmasq and odhcp6c updates.
  • Download Master was removed from the RT-N66U and RT-N16 firmware, which will leave more space available for the JFFS2 partition. Installing DM will be done from the Internet, just like is already the case with the AC56 and AC68U.
  • dnsmasq will now allow a number of leases up to either 253 or the DHCP pool size, whichever being the smallest. This will resolve the issue introduced by a recent change from Asus where people allocating a very small pool would run out of leases as they had a larger number of static leases outside of that pool.
  • All the Asus-specific MIBs were disabled in SNMP. Those MIBs exposed a lot of critical information (such as router logins), and could be accessed unauthenticated over SNMPv2 provided someone on your LAN had the community name.
  • You can now leave the local IP field empty when creating an IPv6 firewall rule.
  • A number of additional fixes: OpenVPN server no longer start automatically when moving from stock FW, DHCP log spam caused by Win8 clients using IPv6, missing "Empty" dragger on the Adaptice QoS page, OpenVPN crashes if cipher set to None (backported patch from upstream), and others - see the complete changelog for details.

This release also marks the return of separate experimental builds. There are experimental builds available for the RT-AC56U, RT-AC68U and RT-AC87U.

• EXPERIMENTAL support for the Trend Micro DPI engine on the RT-AC56U. So far Asus hasn't added official support for that model, so this means for me to be able to implement support on it, I had to reuse the wireless driver from the RT-AC68U. Testers didn't report any significant issue related to the use of that driver.
  • All three models have the new Traffic Analyzer page which Asus is currently offering on the RT-AC3200. This page makes use of the DPI engine to classify traffic types, and provide historical transfer data. Note that this feature requires the JFFS partition to be enabled (which should already by default, if you did the mentionned factory default reset).

What's coming next:

Once the dust has settled on this release (meaning after any minor update releases if necessary), I will begin work on adding support for the RT-AC3200. Complete support for that device will probably take a few weeks, as it involves merging in a new SDK into the code repository.

With the addition of a 7th supported device (and a fifth different architecture!), I am starting to have too many devices on my hands to deal with. I am currently planning on phasing out official support for the RT-N16. That device is the only one currently based on the old SDK5 (which means various things have to be written/tested/debugged just for that particular device), and its limited nvram make it hard to properly support any longer. Already, some features such as OpenVPN have to be kept disabled due to these device limitations. Most likely I will keep everything needed to compile a usable firmware for that device into the code repository, however at some point I will stop providing compiled versions for that device. If someone is willing to step up and help by officially taking over maintaining this model, please let me know.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Last edited:
I added a new wiki page dedicated to custom DDNS support. I'd appreciate if people would contribute to that page, adding new sections for additional DDNS services :)

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Custom-DDNS

Anyone with a Github account can modify Wiki content. If you don't feel comfortable doing so, then please post your script here, and I'll take care of adding it to the Wiki.

It took me this long to add some form of custom DDNS support, but I think I ended up with something that is far more flexible than what other firmwares offer ;)

Let the test begin

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423295963.224903.jpg

Thank You

When I enable URL-filter, I lost my IPv6 connectivity (RT-N66U, 6rd). If I disable URL-filter, it works again, enable again and IPv6 lost again.

When URL-filter is disabled my laptop shows in IPv6 log page, but when I enable URL-filter it disappears.

Last edited:
Thanks for the new release!

Samba still refuses to start att boot time on my AC87U:

Code:
Feb  7 12:01:27 RT-AC87U: start httpd
Feb  7 12:01:27 crond[600]: crond: crond (busybox 1.20.2) started, log level 8
Feb  7 12:01:27 kernel: gro enabled with interval 2
Feb  7 12:01:28 disk monitor: be idle
Feb  7 12:01:28 syslog: Generating SSL certificate...
Feb  7 12:01:29 Samba Server: daemon is started
Feb  7 12:01:30 smbd[634]: [2015/02/07 12:01:30.032976,  0] lib/util_sock.c:667(open_socket_in)
Feb  7 12:01:30 smbd[634]:   bind failed on port 445 socket_addr = 10.0.0.137.
Feb  7 12:01:30 smbd[634]:   Error = Cannot assign requested address
Feb  7 12:01:30 smbd[634]: [2015/02/07 12:01:30.033689,  0] smbd/server.c:628(smbd_open_one_socket)
Feb  7 12:01:30 smbd[634]:   smbd_open_once_socket: open_socket_in: Cannot assign requested address
Feb  7 12:01:30 smbd[634]: [2015/02/07 12:01:30.033985,  0] lib/util_sock.c:667(open_socket_in)
Feb  7 12:01:30 smbd[634]:   bind failed on port 139 socket_addr = 10.0.0.137.
Feb  7 12:01:30 smbd[634]:   Error = Cannot assign requested address
Feb  7 12:01:30 smbd[634]: [2015/02/07 12:01:30.034318,  0] smbd/server.c:628(smbd_open_one_socket)
Feb  7 12:01:30 smbd[634]:   smbd_open_once_socket: open_socket_in: Cannot assign requested address
Feb  7 12:01:30 smbd[634]: [2015/02/07 12:01:30.034545,  0] smbd/server.c:796(open_sockets_smbd)
Feb  7 12:01:30 smbd[634]:   open_sockets_smbd: No sockets available to bind to.
Feb  7 12:01:30 smbd[634]: [2015/02/07 12:01:30.035015,  0] smbd/server_exit.c:184(exit_server_common)
Feb  7 12:01:30 smbd[634]:   ===============================================================
Feb  7 12:01:30 smbd[634]: [2015/02/07 12:01:30.035276,  0] smbd/server_exit.c:186(exit_server_common)
Feb  7 12:01:30 smbd[634]:   Abnormal server exit: open_sockets_smbd() failed
Feb  7 12:01:30 smbd[634]: [2015/02/07 12:01:30.035479,  0] smbd/server_exit.c:187(exit_server_common)
Feb  7 12:01:30 smbd[634]:   ===============================================================
Feb  7 12:01:30 smbd[634]: [2015/02/07 12:01:30.035671,  0] lib/util.c:1271(log_stack_trace)
Feb  7 12:01:30 smbd[634]:   unable to produce a stack trace on this platform
Feb  7 12:01:30 smbd[634]: [2015/02/07 12:01:30.035966,  0] lib/fault.c:372(dump_core)
Feb  7 12:01:30 smbd[634]:   dumping core in /var/cores/smbd
Feb  7 12:01:30 smbd[634]: 
Feb  7 12:01:34 qtn: bootcfg.tgz exists
Feb  7 12:01:50 rc_service: udhcpc_lan 670:notify_rc start_dnsmasq

But a manual start afterwards works:

Code:
nmbd -D -s /etc/smb.conf
 /usr/sbin/smbd -D -s /etc/smb.conf

Is that the correct way to start the samba service? I just copied how it is done on AC66u (where it works even at boot up)

In that case I'll just have to make a custom script that runs as late as possible doing this.

Speed dropped after upgrading to 378.50

I'm based in Hong Kong where I am subscribed to 1000mb fiber optic internet.

I'm using AC87U router and was on .48 firmware before upgrading to .50.

On my iMac, which is connected via a Cisco switch to the router, I used to be able to get approximately 800mb download speed on speedtest.net. After the upgrade, I am now getting around 350mb on average.

I understand and was told QoS played a part in these speed tests and hence I always make sure it's disabled.

I have the same problems with DD-WRT as well as tomato firmware but never on Merlin firmware. This is the first time.

I suppose I can downgrade the firmware but would like to know if anybody else had this same problem?

Thanks!

Sorry for the n00b question, but does 'manual reset' mean we can use the save/restore setting .cfg file after a factory reset?

Or we actually have to go through and change every setting again individually?

Sorry for the n00b question, but does 'manual reset' mean we can use the save/restore setting .cfg file after a factory reset?

Or we actually have to go through and change every setting again individually?

No, you can't use .cfg file, must enter settings manually.

FTP

Uploaded 378.50 to RT-N66U this morning and can confirm FTP is once again working on MIPS device.

Thanks Merlin.

I'm based in Hong Kong where I am subscribed to 1000mb fiber optic internet.

I'm using AC87U router and was on .48 firmware before upgrading to .50.

On my iMac, which is connected via a Cisco switch to the router, I used to be able to get approximately 800mb download speed on speedtest.net. After the upgrade, I am now getting around 350mb on average.

I understand and was told QoS played a part in these speed tests and hence I always make sure it's disabled.

I have the same problems with DD-WRT as well as tomato firmware but never on Merlin firmware. This is the first time.

I suppose I can downgrade the firmware but would like to know if anybody else had this same problem?

Thanks!
Do you have the NAT acceleration enabled? What's the status of it?

Merlin, I'm on both an RT-AC68U and RT-AC87R. Just flashed 378.50.

It appears the Traffic Analyzer button on the left of the main screen is missing.
I can get to the Traffic Analyzer by going direct:

http://192.168.1.1/TrafficAnalyzer_Statistic.asp

But no button to navigate to it on either the AC68U or AC87R.

It is running and has been collecting data on my RT-AC87R. I had enabled it last night (beta3b) and it shows all the traffic collected so far.

Last edited:
Merlin, I'm on both an RT-AC68U and RT-87R. Just flashed 378.50.

It appears the Traffic Analyzer button on the left of the main screen is missing.
I can get to the Traffic Analyzer by going direct:

http://192.168.1.1/TrafficAnalyzer_Statistic.asp

But no button to navigate to it though on either the AC68U or 87R.
Are you using the special "ta" build? I can see the tab fine in my RT-AC56U.

Hi Merlin,

First, let me say thanks for the great work! I just updated my RT-AC87U to the 378.50 build so far everything is working perfectly. However, I'm not seeing the new traffic analyzer page? I was running the beta 3 build and loved the new page, but don't see it in the final build. I even reset the router to factory defaults and turned it off and on.

"All three models have the new Traffic Analyzer page which Asus is currently offering on the RT-AC3200. This page makes use of the DPI engine to classify traffic types, and provide historical transfer data. Note that this feature requires the JFFS partition to be enabled (which should already by default, if you did the mentionned factory default reset)."

@dima_2005

works well in the 50_ta Firmware Build on my 87u

Attention:

The Traffic Analyser is ONLY available in the Experimental Builds

Please read Merlin's post to confirm.

Could i ask you delete any posts related to the TA being missing, as this will keep the thread smaller.

Thanks