What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 380.59 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Well, sucks to be me. I wasn't clear about was Asus was talking about, seems pretty clear now. Guess I'll be waiting a bit for a new build from Master Merlin before I can get off of it.

All new Merlin builds will be the same way. Bottom line all the older firmware will no longer work after you load the latest from Asus and the next Merlin build. If you read around the forums some have found ways no roll back despite Asus saying you can't.

Attempted the DLNA fix mentioned in earlier post (380 or 390 I believe) - didn't work. PS4 seemed to be dropping 30-40 mins into stream. Kicked out where it still showed the DLNA server running on a smart TV; PC hosting the DLNA server didn't drop as was running an MMO at the time with no loss of connection. Reverting to 58 to see how it goes (was using 57 with no issue).

hjohan13 and Zvqra

I don't see this lag and other problems you are having. I set my friend up also and he has seen nothing wrong also with .59
In saying this, someone else followed my settings below and it worked for him, so 3 of us working great.
Give my settings a try.......

Please try to flash again, clear the NVRAM (by holding the reset button on the back and applying power {with power button or cord your choice} until the power light flashes ) then flash again in recovery web GUI (NOTE: on mine and my friends I had to flash 2 separate times, back to back, in the web recovery GUI to get it to work, just a warning if it does not work the first time), when router is back up get into the menu with minimal configuration and factory default the router, now configure the router from scratch, with settings below.

-turn off or disable any Guest networks
-Turn off any USB or media service
- in the "LAN" section.
--IPTV Tab--

-"Use DHCP routes" select "RFC3442 & Microsoft"
-ENABLE "Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy)"
-ENABLE "Enable efficient multicast forwarding (IGMP Snooping)"
--Switch Control Tab--
-Enable Jumbo Frame select "Enable"
-NAT Acceleration select "Auto" (you can experiment on this, you may have to Disable)
-Spanning-Tree Protocol select "Enable" (you can experiment on this, you may have to Disable)
- In the "WAN" section.
--Internet Connection Tab--
-Enable NAT to "Yes"
-Enable UPnP to "Yes"
-UPNP: Allowed internal port range to "1" to "65535"
-UPNP: Allowed external port range to "1" to "65535"
-DHCP query frequency to "Aggressive Mode" (you can experiment on this, you may have to Normal Mode)
--NAT Passthrough Tab--
-"Enable" every option (only select "Enable")
- In the "Firewall" section.
--General Tab--
-NAT Loopback to "Asus" (if using Merlins firmware)
- In the Adaptive QoS section
--QoS Tab--
-"Enable QoS" to "ON"
-"QoS Type" to "Adaptive QoS"
-"Bandwidth Setting" to "Automatic"
- select "Game"

WiFi is your preferred settings and channels, this all depends on your neighbors and how many.

Now the biggest change is finding your perfect DNS servers and add them to your PS4 network settings, so do a google in your home for "Best PS4 DNS servers"
EDIT: I found some good DNS servers for me in my location (they will vary from location) and added them to the "WAN DNS Settings" "DNS Server1" and "DNS server2" you should find ones you like and add them here also.

The person that these settings also worked for lived in Russia or something, I live in USA, he found a huge difference using these.
Please post back with results. I can not guarantee these will correct your issue, but it works for 2 of us and the person in Russia so far.

Thought I would give 3.0.0.4.380_3264 a try (I feel so dirty) but now it seems I can't go back to Merlin or even role back to a previous 3.0.0.4.380 build. "Firmware upgrade unsuccessful. This may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of firmware and try again."

I'll try a factory reset and give it a go again, maybe it's just me, but that firmware build could be a one way trip, at least until you maybe come out with 380.60
It's a one way - I did the same thing.

Didn't try that, simply tried the button hold thing (power off and hold reset during power on) which did absolutely zilch.
some used the method I posted and it worked

When trying to upload firmware through the recovery tool or the CFE mini web server you should set your network adapter to a static IP and gateway.

Reason is if you leave it on automatic the OS may try to renew IP while you are uploading firmware which will cause the upload to fail.

I set it like what you see in the image then change back to automatic after the upload is successful.

net.JPG

I've had to do this many many times on my ac66 for unknown reasons. Symptoms are dropped wifi and/or complete inability to connect on 5ghz wifi. Asus fw reflash, factory reset, Merlin fw, reconfiguration, has fixed all issues every single time.

Are you saying that "Asus fw reflash, factory reset, Merlin fw, reconfig" fixes the wifi issues you had?

Perhaps just wishful thinking, but I've noticed those problems since the 380.59 betas....and decided that I will just have to wait until 380.60 to have them resolved.

• Experimental support for codel and fq_codel for Traditional QoS on ARM models. Note that Traditional QoS is currently broken for all SDK7 models, which means only the RT-AC56U and RT-AC68U are known to still be working. Also, initial testing has shown next to no real advantage of fq_codel versus the original sfq packet scheduler, so this remains a purely experimental feature. User feedback will determine if this feature will remain in future releases or not.
only those two are working? So the AC3200 is broken then?

Works fine here with .59... you do have a disk attached to USB port I assume? Without that it definitely won't work...

Just attached a thumbdrive and directly masterbrowser was given to AC68

I'm using an AC5300, it didn't need a disk attached to the USB port to act as the Master Browser in the last two versions of the OS.

Are you saying that "Asus fw reflash, factory reset, Merlin fw, reconfig" fixes the wifi issues you had?

Still on 56-2 but in general reflashing with Asus official fw, doing a full factory reset, then reflashing with Merlin and reconfiguring the router, has always solved any funny behavior in ac66, most often in the form of 5hz channels stopping working and router making a spontaneous reset every 5 mins or so.

Just don't flash with the newest Asus fw which prevents reflashing to earlier versions, including current Merlin.

Ah - still on .56

My network, devices and usages patterns havn't changed at all since .57 or .58 - but I'm having to suffer through .59 due to 5 GHz WiFi issues. Has to be firmware because the impact is across all devices.

I'm seeing a few issues with this on N66U:
  1. Openvpn server is not working as intended. Starting the vpn server doesn't add the firewall rule to allow inbound connections. pptp works though, but since it's insecure, I would like to avoid it. nmap output as follows:
Code:
nmap -v 192.168.1.1

Starting Nmap 6.40 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2016-06-01 03:23 EDT
Initiating Ping Scan at 03:23
Scanning 192.168.1.1 [2 ports]
Completed Ping Scan at 03:23, 0.00s elapsed (1 total hosts)
Initiating Parallel DNS resolution of 1 host. at 03:23
Completed Parallel DNS resolution of 1 host. at 03:23, 0.00s elapsed
Initiating Connect Scan at 03:23
Scanning router.asus.com (192.168.1.1) [1000 ports]
Discovered open port 139/tcp on 192.168.1.1
Discovered open port 53/tcp on 192.168.1.1
Discovered open port 1723/tcp on 192.168.1.1
Discovered open port 22/tcp on 192.168.1.1
Discovered open port 445/tcp on 192.168.1.1
Discovered open port 80/tcp on 192.168.1.1
Completed Connect Scan at 03:23, 0.63s elapsed (1000 total ports)
Nmap scan report for router.asus.com (192.168.1.1)
Host is up (0.041s latency).
Not shown: 994 closed ports
PORT     STATE SERVICE
22/tcp   open  ssh
53/tcp   open  domain
80/tcp   open  http
139/tcp  open  netbios-ssn
445/tcp  open  microsoft-ds
1723/tcp open  pptp
2. The ovpn config files generated by the web ui have some syntax issues, at least as far as importing them into ubuntu's network manager gui goes. The html style formatting for certs embedded in the config file probably doesn't work in ubuntu. I have some other ovpn config files which work. They use separate files for the certs and keys in the same directory, and the ovpn file refers to those files.
3. If is use the ddns name (even from inside the lan), it doesn't allow connection to services (for eg. httpd, ssh) that it normally would if i were to use 192.168.1.1 directly from the lan. I know that this used to work earlier. Edit: Tried changing nat loopback from asus to merlin, but didn't help.​

Last edited:
Hi all. I'm experiencing wireless issue on AC68U with both stock firmware and Asuswrt Merlin 380.59 . My AC68U comes from stock firmware 9.0.0.4.380.2695 and I have reset to factory default after flashing merlin build.

During web browsing with my laptop computer, the computer lost internet connection suddenly. It happens two to three times daily. At that time, I saw an exclamation mark on the wifi icon at the bottom right-hand corner. I can't even go to router WebUI at that time. The computer will recover internet connection after few minutes.

Is that a common issue? I am wondering that there is hardware fault at my router.

I am using 2.4Ghz 802.11n and just light web browsing.

I'm having to suffer through .59 due to 5 GHz WiFi issues. Has to be firmware because the impact is across all devices.

Not fw but ac66. That's exactly how the issue manifests itself. 5ghz unusable for all devices, possibly with the addition of spontaneous reboots. May happen with any fw version and asus fw reflash and factory reset is the only cure found this far.

Not fw but ac66. That's exactly how the issue manifests itself. 5ghz unusable for all devices, possibly with the addition of spontaneous reboots. May happen with any fw version and asus fw reflash and factory reset is the only cure found this far.

Mine is an AC88U - never had this before .59

Asks for passwords when the password it has is correct - as well as dropouts.

Have switched to 2.4 GHz to confirm that it's a 5 GHz issue.

Well, sucks to be me. I wasn't clear about was Asus was talking about, seems pretty clear now. Guess I'll be waiting a bit for a new build from Master Merlin before I can get off of it.

I was able to revert to an earlier firmware on my N66R by using these steps. Make sure you already had a FW earlier than 380_3264 on your computer before proceeding.
  • Disable other network adapter except the one connected to the router.
  • Set the remaining network adapter to static IP address.
  • Disconnect the Ethernet cable from the PC to the router.
  • Turn off the power and unplug the power cable.
  • Using a pen or paper clip, press the Reset button for 5 seconds.
  • Plug the power cable back in and turn on the router.
  • Wait until the power light blinking slowly, then release the Reset button.
  • Go to the PC and open the Asus Firmware Restoration utility.
  • Browse to the firmware location on the PC.
  • Click Upload button and wait until the firmware is uploaded to the router.
After I downgraded the firmware, I was able to install Merlin 380.59 FW on my router.
Good luck!

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!