What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 380.59 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I did what is mentioned in this post: Post #390
All the discover issues I had went away with this.

Now all I need to do is find out how to enter the command line (SSH I assume), the relevant file, and modify it.

Any pointers for a noob please? Last thing IO want to do is trash my router.

Have you tried the latest beta stock firmware? If not try that.
I had my friend buy a rt-ac5300 and he is getting 2.4GHz wifi drops, I am not sure on 5GHz, with this latest merlin .59, I have loaded his 2 times and factory defaulted 3 with a clean NVRAM also and he is getting 2.4GHz drops. I have to test his further, but others recommend the official Asus firmware when this happens for the 5300.
Post back with results of official, I am going to test my friends with some settings changes and alpha firmware. I know merlin has no control over wifi drivers, but I need to test more, now that my friend has one also I can test faster.

I downgraded to 380.58. Router works like a charm. Never was better. Then I updated to 380.59 again...works like shirt...Back to 380.58 again. Works like a dream. Definitely something strange with 59. Even downloaded a new file with same result. 380.58 stays...

Setup: Two ac66u running .59 (router + access point).

I have trouble setting the channels manually. If I disables auto and set the channel to lets say 100 (5 GHz). Then after "applying settings" the GUI shows auto again and the channel is set to *some* frequency mostly not 100... (bandwidth 20/40/80).

I can verify this strange behavior with an external wifi listener (Acrylic WiFi Professional) and I have the same behavior on both devices.

I did a "factory reset" and manually configured the device again but the behavior remains!
Is there a way to set the channel from command line? Just to test something else...

I downgraded to 380.58. Router works like a charm. Never was better. Then I updated to 380.59 again...works like shirt...Back to 380.58 again. Works like a dream. Definitely something strange with 59. Even downloaded a new file with same result. 380.58 stays...
Can you define "works like shirt? " What symptoms are you seeing. What model router do you have?

Yes, you need to ssh connection to router (by putty, for example)

Yes, I can use PuTTy no problem. But what is the name of the configure file and where will I find it?

Thanks

My sincerest apologies if this has been covered, but there are 28 pages in this thread as displayed on my computer..

Need to know steps to install 380.59 when 376.47 is on the device currently.

( This is a T-Mobile AC1900 that has been converted to AC68U, including the 'final step' in that conversion precess being flash of 376.47.)

I know how to flash...just want to know any extra preparatory steps due to the big version difference. Thanks

[I just noticed I misspelled my name when setting up the account; that's a laugh!]

Thought I would give 3.0.0.4.380_3264 a try (I feel so dirty) but now it seems I can't go back to Merlin or even role back to a previous 3.0.0.4.380 build. "Firmware upgrade unsuccessful. This may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of firmware and try again."

I'll try a factory reset and give it a go again, maybe it's just me, but that firmware build could be a one way trip, at least until you maybe come out with 380.60

Thought I would give 3.0.0.4.380_3264 a try (I feel so dirty) but now it seems I can't go back to Merlin or even role back to a previous 3.0.0.4.380 build. "Firmware upgrade unsuccessful. This may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of firmware and try again."

I'll try a factory reset and give it a go again, maybe it's just me, but that firmware build could be a one way trip, at least until you maybe come out with 380.60

Read this ASUS firmware will change the verification method

My sincerest apologies if this has been covered, but there are 28 pages in this thread as displayed on my computer..

Need to know steps to install 380.59 when 376.47 is on the device currently.

( This is a T-Mobile AC1900 that has been converted to AC68U, including the 'final step' in that conversion precess being flash of 376.47.)

I know how to flash...just want to know any extra preparatory steps due to the big version difference. Thanks

[I just noticed I misspelled my name when setting up the account; that's a laugh!]

Flash with 378.55 to upgrade the CFE bootloader to the last version , then flash with latest 380.58 or 59 and "Reset Factory defaults " after that and reconfig from beginning.Dont import saved settings

I have the same issue. Worked flawlessly in the previous 2 versions.
Works fine here with .59... you do have a disk attached to USB port I assume? Without that it definitely won't work...

Just attached a thumbdrive and directly masterbrowser was given to AC68

Last edited:
After re-flashing and cleaning the NVRAM thru the web GUI for mine and my friends RT-AC5300, All has been perfect for both of us, that is 2 -ac5300's, I also flashed his RT-AC87r and set that up for his AP (he was trying to get through way too many walls and way to many neighbors with 2.4GHz that would cause drop's in wifi for him on the AC5300) I disabled the 2.4GHz band on the 87, he is very happy with his setup. I have been up now for 10 days, perfect.
Note: We don't use the USB ports, Guest network, IP6, or VPN. We do use QOS adaptive - automatic - game, game boost, one port forward, DDNS, UPnP, and we do use DHCP query frequency set to aggressive (apparently our charter where we live likes this, and with this on I notice less game lag)

!!Thank You Merlin!!

Can you define "works like shirt? " What symptoms are you seeing. What model router do you have?
Hi.

You maybe didn't read my first post.. ok...there are several homepages that the firmware don't let me into. Some Swedish newspapers and local football clubs. as a few examples. I have a very high ping (30-50) and access time. My theoretically 250/100 MBit line only gives me 150/60 as a max. My son has big problems with Minecraft and my daughter has problem accessing her school doing homework.
With 380.58 I have 1-2 in Ping, 280/110MBit I speed and I can access all the pages in the world without any delay what so ever. Tested on several different computers using hard wire (Both speedtest and bredbandskollen).No hickups either like small delays approx 5 - 10 seconds now and then. Also updating apps from Google play is a big difference....

I have 2 routers at the moment AC5300 and AC68U. All my problems are with the AC5300 using 380.59. My AC68U is running fine with 380.59. My AC68U is requested by my daughter since her Dovado Doma is about to give up in her apartment. The rest of the family will stay with the AC5300...

Last edited:
Hi.

You maybe didn't read my first post.. ok...there are several homepages that the firmware don't let me into. Some Swedish newspapers and local football clubs. as a few examples. I have a very high ping (30-50) and access time. My theoretically 250/100 MBit line only gives me 150/60 as a max. My son has big problems with Minecraft and my daughter has problem accessing her school doing homework.
With 380.58 I have 1-2 in Ping, 280/110MBit I speed and I can access all the pages in the world without any delay what so ever. Tested on several different computers using hard wire (Both speedtest and bredbandskollen).No hickups either like small delays approx 5 - 10 seconds now and then. Also updating apps from Google play is a big difference....

I have 2 routers at the moment AC5300 and AC68U. All my problems are with the AC5300 using 380.59. My AC68U is running fine with 380.59. My AC68U is requested by my daughter since her Dovado Doma is about to give up in her apartment. The rest of the family will stay with the AC5300...
I had exactly the same problem with 380.59 Merlin build on RT-AC5300. Very inconsistent and high pings. Unfortunately I was not able to solve it but reverting to the latest ASUS firmware fixed the problem and the router works as it should.

< RT-AC66U>

I regularly use the Open VPN Client (PIA), Download Master... DLNA server

If you're using all this the first thing is to check that you're not running out of processing power since all these, when active at the same time, can be quite taxing on ac66 single core cpu.

If your cpu load is less than 95% at all times (while vpn in use, downloadmaster in use, dlna being used for very high quality movie), then I'd suggest you flash the 2nd newest official Asus firmware - not the newest which prevents downgrading! - reset to factory settings, and after that flash Merlin fw.

I've had to do this many many times on my ac66 for unknown reasons. Symptoms are dropped wifi and/or complete inability to connect on 5ghz wifi. Asus fw reflash, factory reset, Merlin fw, reconfiguration, has fixed all issues every single time.

And if your cpu use hits 98-100% regularly while everything on, there's not much you can do except lower the priorities of non-realtime processes, practically this means Downloadmaster first, vpn second, DLNA last (your movies will start to chop/buffer).

In shell, use the "renice" command, you get active process list with top or ps, you want to investigate positive renice values from 3 to 15, renice --help gives you a short help.

Unfortunately the most efficient way to get ac66 cpu usage down is to NOT use it as a network disk with usb drives connected to the router.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!