What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.12 is now available for AC models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After upgrading from 386.11 to 386.12 on my AC86U main node, I have experienced intermittent connection drops (about 2-3 a day, for a few minutes) on my AC66U_B1 Aimesh node (on stock firmware).

I set the logging level to "notice" in the System Log page, but still could not see any messages around the time when the connection drops happened.

I cannot verify whether it affected the whole network, or only the AC66U_B1 node, because I do not have physical access to it, and the users there may not experience- or report those small intermittent connection drops 2-3 times a day in the short run.

Back on 386.11 now, I will report back if the connection drops persist. But it was not a problem before upgrading to 386.12.

Last edited:
i did a factory reset and reconfigured all my settings, and the network map is still not working correctly. it doesn't show some connected devices and doesn't detect new ones. any other solutions?
On 386.11 Network Map was still buggy for me (going back as far as I can remember, it's a known issue). 386.12 seemed to improve the Network Map a lot from what I saw.

On 386.11 Network Map was still buggy for me (going back as far as I can remember, it's a known issue). 386.12 seemed to improve the Network Map a lot from what I saw.
it's the other way around for me. was working fine on 386.11. broken on 386.12

i did a factory reset and reconfigured all my settings, and the network map is still not working correctly. it doesn't show some connected devices and doesn't detect new ones. any other solutions?
What's your subnet size? Networkmap can only handle a /24.

ok, rebooted and it worked for awhile. now i found out that after i get logged out of the web ui due to inactivity and log back in, it stops working again. i did not have this problem in previous versions.

edit: flashed back to 386.11, and it's working correctly again. guess i'll stick with this version

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm on 386.9 on a ac86u.
Also i have yazdhcp and other parameters for swap on USB device...

By upgrading i will keep all ?
Or should do it another Time ?

Also should i use script "clear_vpnclients.sh" ?
If yes, where to find it ? And how to use ?

Thks

Sorry for my poor english...

Last edited:
ok, rebooted and it worked for awhile. now i found out that after i get logged out of the web ui due to inactivity and log back in, it stops working again. i did not have this problem in previous versions.

edit: flashed back to 386.11, and it's working correctly again. guess i'll stick with this version

Just check the DHCP Lease page instead.

Yes. Anyone upgrading for the first time post-386.10 needs to run the script to remove the unused variables.
Thank you very much for the continued support.

I'm getting confused by the statement above. Is it really "anyone" ?

Based on the changelog, it seemed that the script is only applicable to some models (RT-AC68U and DSL-AC68U).
My router is AC-86U (not AC-68U)

And by the way, when applicable, should the script be run before or after the upgrade ?

I'm on 386.9 on a ac86u.
Also i have yazdhcp and other parameters for swap on USB device...

By upgrading i will keep all ?

Also should i use script "clear_vpnclients.sh" ?
Generally yes you should will be able to keep YazDHCP and the USB swap file when updating the Merlin firmware. Note that updating the firmware always carries a risk (even if very remote). You should check that all add-on scripts are functioning properly after updating to newer firmware. In rare cases a firmware update may potentially break a add-on script. Check the Add-On's subforum before flashing the firmware to see if others have reported issues.

Since you are using a RT-AC86U you do not need to run the "clear_vpnclients.sh" script after flashing from 386.9 to 386.12. The "clear_vpnclients.sh" script is for RT-AC68U and DSL-AC68U routers since those routers have less NVRAM than other Asus routers and the script tries to free up some NVRAM on those two router models so users do not see a "low NVRAM" message and or experience low NVRAM issues that more than a few experienced with the more recent Merlin firmware versions.

Generally yes you should will be able to keep YazDHCP and the USB swap file when updating the Merlin firmware. Note that updating the firmware always carries a risk (even if very remote). You should check that all add-on scripts are functioning properly after updating to newer firmware. In rare cases a firmware update may potentially break a add-on script. Check the Add-On's subforum before flashing the firmware to see if others have reported issues.

Since you are using a RT-AC86U you do not need to run the "clear_vpnclients.sh" script after flashing from 386.9 to 386.12. The "clear_vpnclients.sh" script is for RT-AC68U and DSL-AC68U routers since those routers have less NVRAM than other Asus routers and the script tries to free up some NVRAM on those two router models so users do not see a "low NVRAM" message and or experience low NVRAM issues that more than a few experienced with the more recent Merlin firmware versions.
Ok thks
So if i should just make a backup, remove USB swap, make a dirty update, and show if all IS working properly ?

Yeah, the Network map has never worked consistently for me on my AC-86U. I just figured it was a "feature" of all ASUS firmwares and gave up expecting it to be useful. Coming from years of Linkysys routers and Tomato firmwares (back to the very first Tomato release on a WRT54G), it was the one thing that always bugged me about the switch to ASUS. Everything else works beautifully.

I'm getting confused by the statement above. Is it really "anyone" ?
Anyone with one of the models listed in the relevant changelog entry...

And by the way, when applicable, should the script be run before or after the upgrade ?
The script is part of 386.11 and newer, so obviously it can't be run until you have flashed a firmware that contains it.

Look for silly mistakes in the MAC address. Simicolin instead of a Colin, missing Colins, duplicate MACs, IP address, MAC address with invalid characters, etc.

Look for silly mistakes in the MAC address. Simicolin instead of a Colin, missing Colins, duplicate MACs, IP address, MAC address with invalid characters, etc.
are you replying to me? i didn't make any changes to the values. i just dirty-flashed the update. was working fine previously.

i just flashed back to 386.12 and checked the dhcp lease. the value is unchanged, set to 86400

are you replying to me? i didn't make any changes to the values. i just dirty-flashed the update. was working fine previously.

i just flashed back to 386.12 and checked the dhcp lease. the value is unchanged, set to 86400
Was addressing who ever it was that was suffering the dnsmasq crash right after YazDHCP list was loaded. Check the MAC address in that list. Not the DHCP lease time.

flashed back to 386.12 to quadruple-check if the network map is working. it is not. dhcp lease value was not changed, was same on both versions. i'll just stick with 386.11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!