What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.3 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
\ is a definite breaking character
That was the only special character in my pass-phrase that breaks the router's web page...

According to the IEEE standard it's a valid character in a pass-phrase though, but I understand programmers can make mistakes with characters like these (escaping the next character...)

@RMerlin Is this something you can fix in a future version?

That was the only special character in my pass-phrase that breaks the router's web page...

According to the IEEE standard it's a valid character in a pass-phrase though, but I understand programmers can make mistakes with characters like these (escaping the next character...)

@RMerlin Is this something you can fix in a future version?
@XIII and @Unetwork if you want to test a potential fix, login via SSH and run these 2 commands and then try to browse the Wireless tab again. I've sent this change in a pull request to Merlin, but I'd like someone else to verify the fix:
Code:
curl -o /tmp/router.asp https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dave14305/asuswrt-merlin.ng/wirelesstab/release/src/router/www/device-map/router.asp
mount -o bind /tmp/router.asp /www/device-map/router.asp
To undo it:
Code:
umount /www/device-map/router.asp
rm /tmp/router.asp

EDIT: On second thought, it's a bad idea because the text variables have not been replaced in the raw ASP file, and the tab text may appear unusual (e.g. Every box is labeled "English" when I download it directly from github).

I saw a 5 degree increase in temperature after upgrading from 386.3_0 to 386.3_2.
I don´t accept that so rolled back to 386.3_0...

Is there a way to end the notice about the available upgrade?

EDIT: On second thought, it's a bad idea because the text variables have not been replaced in the raw ASP file, and the tab text may appear unusual (e.g. Every box is labeled "English" when I download it directly from github).
What's a bad idea?
  • Testing it like this?
  • The PR itself?

@XIII and @Unetwork if you want to test a potential fix, login via SSH and run these 2 commands and then try to browse the Wireless tab again. I've sent this change in a pull request to Merlin, but I'd like someone else to verify the fix:
Code:
curl -o /tmp/router.asp https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dave14305/asuswrt-merlin.ng/wirelesstab/release/src/router/www/device-map/router.asp
To undo it:
Code:
rm /tmp/router.asp

BTW I found that if you put a '$' in the admin password samba login using admin breaks - as in you cannot log in to the samba share. Removing '$' in the password fixed the problem for me.

What's a bad idea?
  • Testing it like this?
  • The PR itself?
Testing it via direct download from github because all the translatable text labels haven’t been substituted by the firmware build process. You can still test it for functional verification of the specific problem, but the text field labels within the frame will be wrong. But you should see the formerly empty fields filled in as expected.

I saw a 5 degree increase in temperature after upgrading from 386.3_0 to 386.3_2.
I don´t accept that so rolled back to 386.3_0...
There is absolutely nothing changed in 386.3_2 to generate more heat in that version. Your testing methodology is flawed.

There is absolutely nothing changed in 386.3_2 to generate more heat in that version. Your testing methodology is flawed.
I've got no "testing methodology". Just looking at the temperatures shown in GUI and printed out via SSH... So there is nothing flawed.

Both - AX88U and AC68U - show a 5 degrees increase even after a day of operation. Same settings after dirty upgrade.

Please tell how to stop the blinking "upgrade-sign"? It flashes even though I switched off the firmware check.

RMerlin I do hope that you fully took into account the copper mod in your evaluation:

1628784964060.png

Dedel66 have you considered the 3D print mod? That might allow you to use version 386.3_2 whilst retaining temperatures at tolerably low levels - it looks like this:
1628785204070.png

Failing that I recommend a water cooling setup, or even more preferably a nitrogen drip. That permits extreme overclocking and safeguards against naughty future incremental firmware tweaks that hog CPU resources!

I've got no "testing methodology". Just looking at the temperatures shown in GUI and printed out via SSH... So there is nothing flawed.

Both - AX88U and AC68U - show a 5 degrees increase even after a day of operation. Same settings after dirty upgrade.

Please tell how to stop the blinking "upgrade-sign"? It flashes even though I switched off the firmware check.
I'm afraid you're down to two options:
  1. Do the upgrade and live with the 5deg increase in temperature :rolleyes:
  2. Live with the blinking upgrade sign every time you log into your GUI.

Mindful of the deeply troubling temperature problem identified with 386.3_2, for anyone with temperature problems, in addition to the above I also thoroughly recommend setting up a tannoy alarm system in your home that sounds when the temperature increases beyond 45 degrees C:
Particularly essential for any family home. Don't forget: a happy wife is a happy life. Don't disappoint her by letting your router overheat!

Last edited:
RMerlin I do hope that you fully took into account the copper mod in your evaluation:

View attachment 35674
Dedel66 have you considered the 3D print mod? That might allow you to use version 386.3_2 whilst retaining temperatures at tolerably low levels - it looks like this:
View attachment 35675

Failing that I recommend a water cooling setup, or even more preferably a nitrogen drip. That permits extreme overclocking and safeguards against naughty future incremental firmware tweaks that hog CPU resources!
The "copper-mod" is running on stock. Your answer is pointless...

I thought that I should share my observations as to new firmware. If it is not wanted, I just leave it.

Mindful of the deeply troubling temperature problem identified with 386.3_2, for anyone with temperature problems, in addition to the above I also thoroughly recommend setting up a tannoy alarm system in your home that sounds when the temperature increases beyond 45 degrees C:
Particularly essential for any family home. Don't forget: a happy wife is a happy life. Don't disappoint her by letting your router overheat!
You are SO smart....

The "copper-mod" is running on stock. Your answer is pointless...

I thought that I should share my observations as to new firmware. If it is not wanted, I just leave it.
I'm afraid you're down to two options:
  1. Do the upgrade and live with the 5deg increase in temperature :rolleyes:
  2. Live with the blinking upgrade sign every time you log into your GUI.
Please have your router temp discussion in this thread:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/router-temperatures.71123/page-21

For the senior users and parts of the furniture, do you remember the days that you weren't able to post to the forum if your post contained anything prohibited? Sometimes I nostalgically wander back to these days and wish that we've could have add the word 'temp' to the blocking list and sticked with the old system, even though it was annoying as hell...

The temperature is higher because you just spent the past few minutes making your CPU do extra work, and gone through a complete router reboot. If evaluating temperature, you need A) to ensure the ambiant temperature hasn't changed, which it will if you are like me in the middle of a heatwave where my indoor temperature is at 27C right now instead of the usual 21-22C, and B) let the temperature settle down for a while rather than immediately measuring it right after the reboot.

There was absolutely no change at the hardware or SDK level between 386.3 and 386.3_2 for the RT-AC86U. This is the complete list of changes:

Code:
merlin@ubuntu-dev:~/amng$ git log --oneline 386.3..386.3_2
cc376d7be1 (tag: 386.3_2) Bumped revision to 386.3_2
43208fc79a Updated documentation
2e98e45ac2 webui: move killswitch setting to the Network Settings, and reorganize order in that section
beda77938b rc: fix DNSFilter rules handling for IPV6 on HND models
639446cc81 rc: no longer process dnsfilter at boot time for obsolete Norton entries
a1aa87d4dd httpd: skip running gettunnelip.sh if Internet not redirected
b4a609dacb Updated documentation
cf00748fb1 webui: visual enhancements to OpenVPN client page
7aedcd7438 Updated documentation
b4a8839d77 Revert "Enable jitterentropy-rngd for non-HND models"
acf2d27aa0 sch_cake: Fix out of bounds when parsing TCP options
45a269a234 libovpn: don't set default gateway for ovpn client with Redirect Internet set to No
4ba6720ef1 Bumped revision to 386.3_1

On some models like the RT-AC68U, the CPU load is actually LOWER with 386.3_2 due to the removal of jitterentropy-rngd. So all I can tell you is that 386.3_2 did not cause your temperature to increase.

Not a fan of the temp talks in release threads either but Ill try and add some perspective.

AC86U Actively cooled w/copper mod fluctuates nearly 6-8 deg just from daytime to nighttime, let alone within an hour after flashing, mine after 10 days has 12degs of fluctuation. Daytimes are mid-low 40s. night time is 38-40

If you look at my current average vs all-time average its very consistent

Code:
MavMAIN|>/jffs/scripts| ./tempmon.sh
        tempmon appears to be already monitoring with PID 2593
        Current: 43.9C Current Avg: 42.2C of 4049 polled temps at 3 second polling
        Logging period: 12h CPUhigh: 43.9C CPUlow: 40.4C
        Alltime: CPUhigh: 48.3C CPUlow: 36.5C Avg of last 20 averages: 42.5C
        Monitor uptime: 10 day(s) 2 hr(s) 1 min(s) 19 sec(s)

I just upgraded from 386.2_4 and the OpenVPN server can't successfully connect anymore.

I tried creating a new configuration under server2 but I get the same failure as my previously working server1 configuration. Also went through and made sure to clear out any custom scripts, config or addons.

Attached is the log during the connection attempt. It seems like the client is able to connect to the server, but none of the responses are getting through. Perhaps some sort of routing or firewall problem?

Would appreciate any advice on other things to look at or diagnose.

Code:
REMOVED

EDIT: never mind, didn't make any other changes to the router but it inexplicably just started working again.

Last edited:
Code:
To undo it:
Code:
rm /tmp/router.asp

Sorry, I don't have time to do this test right now.
I hope someone else will be able to do it and that it will solve the problem of empty boxes and missing QRCODES.
Thank you for taking care of this bug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!