What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin Feature Suggestions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cowboy

Regular Contributor
This thread is about additional features you would like to see added in Asuswrt-Merlin firmware.

Here are some features I would like to see:
  • Addition of separate wireless (time) schedulers for Guest Networks.
  • Bandwidth Limitation for the guest networks or a specified client.
  • Create rules in Parental Controls which apply only on Guest Networks
  • Captive Portal for the Guest Networks
  • Network Map should list the clients connected through the Wlan Repeater, not just how many clients are connected through the Wlan Repeater.

Last edited:
Wireless scheduler for the guestnetwork can be done by jffs script and cronjob.

I'd love to see the ability of being able to assign a specific DHCP scope to the Guest Networks. I know you can set scopes on the interfaces using jffs scripts, but to be honest, I always have problems with it. :) It's probably my lack of knowledge that prevents it from working, but this is a reason I'd love it to be in the GUI.

All of these are way beyond the scope of this project.

Note that bandwidth limitation is coming in a future release from Asus.

All of these are way beyond the scope of this project.

Note that bandwidth limitation is coming in a future release from Asus.
ok, but how do you know that bandwidth limitation is coming in a future release ?

ok, but how do you know that bandwidth limitation is coming in a future release ?

Because they told me. And there's already a first version of that feature available in beta firmwares, but it works globally at this stage, not just for Guest clients.

Because they told me. And there's already a first version of that feature available in beta firmwares, but it works globally at this stage, not just for Guest clients.
I believe you, thanks for the information. Bandwidth limitation is very useful in my opinion.

Well I will have to learn some Linux scripting then, if I want to add wireless scheduler for the Guest Networks.

I read in another post that this isn't a priority, but DNSCrypt / DNSSEC support would be wonderful. While it's likely an ineffective countermeasure, I hate making Verizon's job of collecting any and all information about me any easier than it need be.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

Could we get the Traffic Manager - Traffic Monitor per device exportable to excel or csv?
That would be a huge help when trying to allocate usage per ip.

Time scheduler configuable 5min instead pro hour

Its nice to be able to add features to the router ( if the rest of us were linux programers) I dont know a thing about jffs...

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

I'd like to see the GUI cleaned up a bit. There are many inconsistencies throughout the various pages. For example, to enable something, some of the them have radio buttons with 'enable/disable'. Others have radio buttons with 'on/off'. Some have the green slider to select 'on/off'. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to which one is used. I'd also like to see the hints for the settings generally cleaned-up. Even in the stock firmware and documentation, there are some settings that aren't documented because the user guide wasn't updated when features were added or changed. Some of the hints don't exist. Some do, but pop up blank. Others are just useless because they just echo the name of the setting. Also, I'd like to see better parsing of strings and having the UI reject ones with invalid characters, instead of having it accept them and breaking some core functionality.

I think it will benefit all if we can get a simple text input somewhere on the firewall page of AsusWRT, where users can copy paste a list of IPs (one IP per line) and have them all be blocked. Like the list of IPs you can find on the net that Windows 10 uses to send microphone data, webcam data, keystrokes and more to microsoft and other servers.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-much-needed-feature-privacy-security.26422/

Individual IP address can be blocked via the Firewall - Network Services Filter tab.
Unlikely that Microsoft is using IP addresses to send data to their servers and using domain names, so you could use the same scripts that are used to block adds to also block the domain names from resolving to their IP addresses.
See advanced method 2 here: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/adblocking-with-combined-hosts-file.15309/

If a user has managed to find a list of IP's as you've suggested they'll likely be able to find a site like this to walk them through setting things up. ;)

I would like to add/second an option for a proxy server. It would be a great companion for OpenVPN.

What about the option to set Wireless MAC Filter for Tri-Band router (Eg; 2.4GHz, 5GHz-1, and 5GHz-2)
under one list is possible?

P.S. Currently it's 3 separate lists.

Would it be possible to add a simple user entered "Descriptive Name " for each VPN client added which is visible when looking at the VPN status tab ?

thanks

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!