What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin on RT-AC3100---which firmware to use

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aaronac8

Occasional Visitor
I see that there are TWO firmware version of Asuswrt-Merlin for the RT-AC3100 router. Either RT-AC3100_380.69_0.zip or RT-AC3100_382.1_2.zip. Which one are people using and why? I tried to load the 380.69 version but find that I only have HALF a wifi signal (2.4 ghz channel is set to channel 0 and I can NOT change the channel...it stays on AUTO) AND my SSID is NOT being broadcast. Anyone else having these issues?

Either one should work. It is always better to use latest stable release. As for your issue with channel 0 - do a factory reset and try reconfiguring again. If that doesn’t help, the copy of firmware you have may be damaged. Download a fresh copy, put the router into recovery mode and reflash. This should take care of it!

Either one should work. It is always better to use latest stable release. As for your issue with channel 0 - do a factory reset and try reconfiguring again. If that doesn’t help, the copy of firmware you have may be damaged. Download a fresh copy, put the router into recovery mode and reflash. This should take care of it!
Thank you for your reply. How do I put the router into recovery mode?

To put the router into Recovery mode:
Turn off router.
Turn the router back on while holding the factory reset button.
When the power light on the far left is blinking you are in recovery mode.

One other question, why cant you do a firmware flash through the admin update tab instead of using the ASUS recovery utility? That is how I did my original flash...maybe that is why I am having my problems?

One other question, why can't you do a firmware flash through the admin update tab instead of using the ASUS recovery utility? That is how I did my original flash...maybe that is why I am having my problems?
You can, but if you are switching between stock and merlin, you should also clear all settings. Upgrading to a newer version of the same branch usually can be done through UI.

You can, but if you are switching between stock and merlin, you should also clear all settings. Upgrading to a newer version of the same branch usually can be done through UI.
I am getting a new unit shortly since my other one had a faulty wifi signal output. When I get my new unit should I use the Firmware Restoration utility to upgrade my stock firmware to Asuswrt-merlin? By using this method I will clear ALL my settings.....correct?