What's new

AsusWRT - possible software raid available?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JoeyJoe

New Around Here
I have been doing some research and I have not found if in fact this is actually possible. I have a 4 bay SATA USB enclosure. Right now my asus wireless is displaying 4 individual disks. Since this enclosure does not have raid built in to use, is there a way to complete this task at the Asuswrt OS level?

My other option is just to complete this software raid level on another PC and share out the volume.

Thanks for any replies.
Joe

what model enclosure You have ?
can You make screenshoot from network map with enclosure is connected ?

I would guess this isn't possible for you.

Even setting it up on a PC, it will be dependent on that O/S to manage the disks properly, so when it is connected to the router it will look nothing like it as I'm pretty sure the router O/S and cpu and ram can't handle anything even remotely close to what you want.

I you try this, make sure to be testing with non-essential data.

Even if it was feasible, I think you would be asking too much of the poor little processors in the router to do software raid. Go with your second option.

Bease on what I had read, I would have to complete the RAID config via the routers CLI. I did see a linux raid .sh out there, but it may be true that the router would not have the CPU power to maintain (if I could complete this). Software RAID is such a resource hog.
The encl i picked up was a Probox HF2-SU3S2, I dropped in 4 - 1TB sata disks. I even tried to create a RAID using my linux laptop, and even it had issues.
Right now, I can see the 4 1TB drives on my RT-N66U router, I just have not partitioned or formatted them yet.
My wireless setup includes 3 N66Us, 1 for my main home, the other 2 are used for a bridge to my barn (about 1000ft away). So I do have one N66U somewhat sitting there with no load on it since its only bridging the Barn and house together. My connection out to the internet is controlled by a Zywall USG20 with the 2 (out of 3) N66Us hard wired via ethernet to it.
Ill keep poking around. I did see some info on Tomato having the ability to do this, but I have not see any success rates.

Personally think that's too much work for the router to do. You're not going to get all that great performance even if you can get it to work.

"Software RAID" in a sense really has nothing to do with networking, and really shouldn't be router's responsibility.

Last edited: