What's new

AsusWRT + RT-AC3200 max OpenVPN client speed?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tom B

New Around Here
Hi,

I currently use AsusWRT with my AC3200 and OpenVPN. It works great.

I have a 40mbit connection. With the VPN turned off I get about 37mbit. On the stock firmware I was limited to ~20mbit. With AsusWRT I get 35mbit, which is identical to running the VPN on my PC so the router is not bottlenecking the speed, but the CPU on the router is at 96% when I'm downloading at full speed.

My ISP is offering a very good upgrade offer to give me up to 80mbit but I don't know if it's worth it. If I only have ~4% cpu left to play with will I actually see much more speed?

Does anyone with this router use a faster connection and OpenVPN? What's the maximum speed you get before the router's CPU bottlenecks it?

Hi,

I currently use AsusWRT with my AC3200 and OpenVPN. It works great.

I have a 40mbit connection. With the VPN turned off I get about 37mbit. On the stock firmware I was limited to ~20mbit. With AsusWRT I get 35mbit, which is identical to running the VPN on my PC so the router is not bottlenecking the speed, but the CPU on the router is at 96% when I'm downloading at full speed.

My ISP is offering a very good upgrade offer to give me up to 80mbit but I don't know if it's worth it. If I only have ~4% cpu left to play with will I actually see much more speed?

Does anyone with this router use a faster connection and OpenVPN? What's the maximum speed you get before the router's CPU bottlenecks it?

You're pretty much maxing out the OpenVPN potential of your AC3200. To go any faster you will need an AC86U which can get VPN speeds of 250Mbit

Thanks for the quick reply! I won't bother upgrading then.

If I do upgrade my connection in future I'll stick an old laptop between the modem and the router to run the VPN.

Your 3200 has a similar cpu to my old 68U. Below are my speeds using the OpenVPN client connecting to PIA VPN servers on port 1198 via UDP.

AC68U (1.0 Ghz dual core)
CTF enabled
DL: 44 Mbps with core 1 at 30%, core 2 at 80%
UL: 58 Mbps with core 1 at 40%, core 2 at 100%

Data encryption: AES-128-CBC
Data authentication: SHA1
Handshake: RSA-2048