What's new

Attached Hard Drive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mike06

Occasional Visitor
I have a RT AX88 Pro with a Western Digital HD attached to the usb port and it will randomly start running with no one accessing it. Wondering why it does that. I also have the latest Merlin firmware.

I have a RT AX88 Pro with a Western Digital HD attached to the usb port and it will randomly start running with no one accessing it. Wondering why it does that. I also have the latest Merlin firmware.
Latest Merlin firmware means nothing. Please state the version.
Do you have the Media Server enabled? The drive spinning up from time to time may be normal operation.

Latest Merlin firmware means nothing. Please state the version.
Do you have the Media Server enabled? The drive spinning up from time to time may be normal operation.
Merlin 3004.388.7 no media server just use it for file back up

Wondering why it does that.

Your router is running on background something called Asus Security Daemon or ASD. This process is perhaps the reason behind waking up the attached HDD from time to time. Not an issue, it does its thing. It was an issue on some older firmware versions where the attached HDD was never reaching sleep state. It was fixed some time ago.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!