What's new

AX3000, 88U Pro, or higher like AXE? Currently have AC1900

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sho'nuff

New Around Here
Hello, first time posting! It's finally time to buy a new router and I have a $250 gift card in my pocket burning a hole...
-I currently have an Asus AC1900 and have for many years. I'm looking at all these new routers and don't know what I want/need but know I have been happy with my Asus and want to stick with that brand.
-I have Spectrum 500mbps internet and don't think I'm getting the speeds I could with this old fella.
-I have two tenants and that's why I like my current router as I am able to have 2 guest networks, so that's an absolute must again.
-House is 2,300sqft - wood frame (upstairs 3br/downstairs two separate 1br). I don't think I need extra routers or pucks or whatever you call them as I've been ok with this one now.

I am not much of a tech guy, so any help would be appreciated on which router you would get. I found this forum by searching the 88U Pro and it seems like a good choice and currently lists on Amazon for $240. The AX3000 is $150 and the 86U Pro is $220, so I'm not sure which way is best. I am willing to step up if it's worth it for 6E, but I'm not sure I really need it? We do have some congestion on 5G here in Honolulu. It's very likely this will be the router I use for the next many years as evidenced by my current router!

And probably something too difficult for me, but every time I read about Asus, it seems people always talk about Merlin firmware, but I'm not sure I need to go down that rabbit hole?

TIA for any help :cool:

Welcome to the forums @Sho'nuff.

The RT-AX88U Pro is the best bang-for-the-buck router you can buy today with RMerlin support. Buy the best, and forget the rest. ;)

Why you want an RMerlin-supported Asus router:

It's not just 'features', or a fork of official stock firmware, it is a collaboration between Eric (aka RMerlin) and Asus to provide the most secure, performant, dependable, and reliable firmware available for any consumer router today (and, for the last decade too).

Mahalo, L&LD! I will likely pick up that router then. I will likely come back here and ask for help on installing Merlin. Or I assume I could just buy the router and be fine without it?

When you see/read about the benefits of RMerlin firmware (which Asus is slowly ingesting into its own stock code, though RMerlin's is still far ahead), do you really think you'll be fine without it? :)

When you see/read about the benefits of RMerlin firmware (which Asus is slowly ingesting into its own stock code, though RMerlin's is still far ahead), do you really think you'll be fine without it? :)
LOL. Ok fine, I ordered it and will be back for when I'm ready to install. Is there a Master thread on installing it or do you have a favorite thread for newbies?

But wait, there's more! :)

And, be sure you perform a full reset as outlined in the link below (be sure you find your router model...). After you have flashed the firmware you want to use.

-I have two tenants and that's why I like my current router as I am able to have 2 guest networks, so that's an absolute must again.

There is a new VLAN based feature called Guest Network Pro in the new Asuswrt 3.0.0.6 firmware (Asuswrt 5.0, 102). I see you are going to install Asuswrt-Merlin - it's on older 3.0.0.4 base (Asuswrt 4.0, 388) and Pro features are not available. My advice - see what stock Asuswrt has to offer first. If something is missing - then look for alternatives. It's a newer firmware and the one your new router is made to work with. Why you want a new Pro series router and going to downgrade the firmware to previous non-Pro base?

More here:

Last edited:
So far, checking L&LD's links have made me pretty nervous about trying to flash anything. This seems like a way for non-techy person like myself to get in a lot of trouble haha. But I am down to try if it's really worth it. Once I get the router I will come back and share my experience with the installed FW. As mentioned, I have an old ASUS AC-1900 for many years and didn't flash anything and have been very happy with it. I will check the link on Guest Network Pro. Thanks.

One thing I have a question about to you or L&LD; do I really need to change SSID's when I get a new router? Reading these links and that's suggested. I have way too many devices that will take me many hours to reconnect everything, so I hope that's not the case.

But I am down to try if it's really worth it.

It's a firmware downgrade and you'll be missing the Pro features. RT-AX88U Pro already has 3x official 3.0.0.6 firmware releases. Get the router, update the firmware in GUI if needed and it's ready to go. Use your old SSIDs so you don't have to reconfigure your devices. If some devices have issues - forget the connection and reconnect only the devices with issues. My advice - keep separate SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz (SmartConnect disabled), disable AX on 2.4GHz band for compatibility. The rest leave at defaults and see how it goes. Don't stress yourself too much - it's a home AIO router with relatively simple controls. It's made to be used by people with minimal networking knowledge.

and didn't flash anything and have been very happy with it

Indeed. Keep it simple.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!