What's new

Backup for 2K3 file server.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bobm_10

Occasional Visitor
Hello All:

I would like a low cost but reliable NAS for secondary network backup of my file server. I am running AD server 2003.

Basically I would like to run something like 2nd copy on the server to backup main files to the NAS. 1 TB should be all that I need. Will something like Buffalo's LinkStation Pro Duo do the trick or should I look at others? Do I need AD support for what I would like to accomplish? Without AD support, will I be able to automatically keep a drive mapped from the server 2k3 machine with a username and password?

Thanks Bob

Update

I ended up purchasing a WD 1TB USB drive. I really don't need the NAS if I am only going to backup the server. So far 2nd copy works fine on 2003.

The only catch was to disable USB booting on the server. I also reformated the WD drive with NTFS.

Bob

Thanks for the update. USB backup is fine as long as you can live with the speed and having your backup in close physical proximity to the data you are backing up.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!