What's new

BACKUPMON BACKUPMON v1.7.2 -Apr 1, 2024- Backup/Restore your Router: JFFS + NVRAM + External USB Drive! CIFS/SMB/NFS! (Now available in AMTM!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just another quick query if I may. Imagine a situation where I have a few amtm scripts and a configuration backup created from within the router's GUI. What would be the difference in the outcome of restoring from a BACKUPMON backup and from the one created from the GUI? My particular interest would be in restoring any scripts I had installed and the custom names and icons for my network clients.

Just another quick query if I may. Imagine a situation where I have a few amtm scripts and a configuration backup created from within the router's GUI. What would be the difference in the outcome of restoring from a BACKUPMON backup and from the one created from the GUI? My particular interest would be in restoring any scripts I had installed and the custom names and icons for my network clients.

You're referencing this screen below, right? If so, this saves a copy of your router's config file (NVRAM + add'l settings), and a copy of your /jffs partition... you'd need to manually hit the "save" buttons, and make sure you keep a copy of these files safe somewhere. Backupmon also saves a copy of the contents of your external USB drive... the GUI below doesn't do this. As far as custom names/icons for your network clients, I'm pretty sure most of that stuff is saved in NVRAM, and under the /jffs side of the house. You would need to ask around for advice on that one... but if this is your only requirement, you can probably get by without needing backupmon.

1711140388350.png

@Viktor Jaep is there anyway we could get the option to include/exclude the swapfile in the secondary backups, separate from the primary config?
I don't see any point backing up the swapfile. After the forced reboot when restoring the swapfile would be cleared anyway.

I don't see any point backing up the swapfile. After the forced reboot when restoring the swapfile would be cleared anyway.
It would be really helpful to have 2 backups of my router. One with and one without the swapfile so that, if for whatever reason, the primary backup (without) is unable to restore my router then I can attempt it with the secondary backup (with). I've had issues with recreating the swapfile through AMTM where anything over 1.2GB errors out and I had to recreate it using another PC. Since I'm not always home to fix it, it would be great if I could connect via VPN and restore functionality from either one since some of the scripts on AMTM require a swapfile to work.

It would be really helpful to have 2 backups of my router. One with and one without the swapfile so that, if for whatever reason, the primary backup (without) is unable to restore my router then I can attempt it with the secondary backup (with). I've had issues with recreating the swapfile through AMTM where anything over 1.2GB errors out and I had to recreate it using another PC. Since I'm not always home to fix it, it would be great if I could connect via VPN and restore functionality from either one since some of the scripts on AMTM require a swapfile to work.
I'd be more worried about why amtm errors out creating a swapfile than getting a script changed to circumvent the error. You're ignoring what could be something rather serious.

@Viktor Jaep is there anyway we could get the option to include/exclude the swapfile in the secondary backups, separate from the primary config?
You actually already can... here's how:
1.) In the config, Option #9 (Backup Swap File) : Yes
2.) In the primary backup exclusion file (ep from setup + operations menu), add the "myswap.swp" back in manually - this will exclude it.
3.) In the secondary backup exclusion file (es), make sure it's not listed - this will back it up

But just beware... it may radically increase your backup times and space required to store these backups... and there's a good chance it's going to be useless after a restore, and may need to be wiped and recreated after all.

I'd be more worried about why amtm errors out creating a swapfile than getting a script changed to circumvent the error. You're ignoring what could be something rather serious.
I couldn't agree more with @Ripshod on this one... if your USB drive is bombing out creating swapfiles, you have bigger fish to fry. Could just be an indicator that your drive is no good, or not fast enough to keep up with the data stream coming its way... etc. But that's what I would focus on. Recreating a nice fresh swap file while doing a restore literally takes a minute.

Well, I put in some work refining the look/feel of the script, and gave it some of the same treatment that VPNMON-R3 enjoys... as you can probably tell, I enjoy standardization, and it irks my OCD when things don't look alike, or work the same. Always a continuous process of improvement... All menus and submenus now utilize the same standards. v1.6.0b6 for your enjoyment below! Please let me know if you find any inconsistencies! :)

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/BACKUPMON/develop/backupmon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh"

Significant screenshots:

1711216417062.png

1711216441610.png

1711216464512.png

Well, I put in some work refining the look/feel of the script, and gave it some of the same treatment that VPNMON-R3 enjoys... as you can probably tell, I enjoy standardization, and it irks my OCD when things don't look alike, or work the same. Always a continuous process of improvement... All menus and submenus now utilize the same standards. v1.6.0b6 for your enjoyment below! Please let me know if you find any inconsistencies! :)

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/BACKUPMON/develop/backupmon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh"

Significant screenshots:

View attachment 57386

View attachment 57387

View attachment 57388
It appears that v1.6.0b6 introduced some weirdness into the amtm main menu:

Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 16.48.46.png

Functionally, everything appears to be great!

It appears that v1.6.0b6 introduced some weirdness into the amtm main menu:

Functionally, everything appears to be great!
Nice catch... let me rename some variables... that should take care of it. ;) Thank you!

FIXED: please give 1.6.0b7 a shot... ;)

Same bat channel... same bat link:
Code:

Nice catch... let me rename some variables... that should take care of it. ;) Thank you!

FIXED: please give 1.6.0b7 a shot... ;)

Same bat channel... same bat link:
Code:
Fixed!

1.6.0b7 didn't run this morning. The cron exists, the settings are correct (haven't changed), no failure emails and nothing in the log 😔

Edit: Manual backup has just run okay.

Last edited:
1.6.0b7 didn't run this morning. The cron exists, the settings are correct (haven't changed), no failure emails and nothing in the log 😔
Can you run:

sh /jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh -backup

??

Can you run:

sh /jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh -backup

??
Don't worry about it. It seems ntpd has crapped out - sometimes it's GMT, sometimes it's BST. I'll just move the cron to 3am until the clocks truly go forward next Sunday in the uk.

Mea culpa!
In one of my dumber moments I never changed the ntp settings on the router when rebuilding, leaving "DST time zone changes starts" at it's default setting (4th Sunday of March). To be fair it's easy to miss, being one of the least obvious settings when running ntpMerlin. Anyway, normal service resumed and RunBackupMon back to it's 01:15 slot.
☕

Mea culpa!
In one of my dumber moments I never changed the ntp settings on the router when rebuilding, leaving "DST time zone changes starts" at it's default setting (4th Sunday of March). To be fair it's easy to miss, being one of the least obvious settings when running ntpMerlin. Anyway, normal service resumed and RunBackupMon back to it's 01:15 slot.
☕
Lol... I freaked out as well when I had my backup job scheduled during the "sweet spot" of the time change, and didn't run that day either.. I was ready to blame cron! :)

Lol... I freaked out as well when I had my backup job scheduled during the "sweet spot" of the time change, and didn't run that day either.. I was ready to blame cron! :)
Oh crikey. At least I'm aware now it'll miss next Sunday, but what happens when the clocks roll back? Two backups?
I've got to rethink my strategy lol!

Change time to 00:30.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!