What's new

Best AP to use with RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jdebord

Occasional Visitor
I'm looking to extend the range of my wireless network while maintaining maximum flexibility/usability of my wireless network. Does anyone here have any recommendations on what access point would be best to use with the RT-N66U...or should i just get another RT-N66U and run it in AP mode?

I'm looking to extend the range of my wireless network while maintaining maximum flexibility/usability of my wireless network.
Hi,

My suggestion is listed in my footer... :rolleyes:
It has the best price/performance ratio and runs the same firmware! :)

But two RT-N66U would have even better WLAN coverage (plus 5 GHz) - but for a higher price!

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Last edited:
Can the RT-N66U do dual band in AP mode? I saw that Asus also has a dome looking AP that can do 5ghz, but it can't do that and 2.4 ghz at the same time.

Can the RT-N66U do dual band in AP mode? I saw that Asus also has a dome looking AP that can do 5ghz, but it can't do that and 2.4 ghz at the same time.
Hi,

Yes, it can!
I never tried it myself (as I only need 2.4 GHz extension, I use my RT-N16) but I found evidence in other threads that in Access Point mode both bands are working.

With kind regards

Hi,

I have similar questions. Basically we have a asus n55u DSL router.
I was thinking to extend with Asus RT N15U mainly for the guest networks but I am not sure that in AP mode this device can still extend multi SSIDs
We are using them on the main router and would like to extend both: primary and guest.
Do you here have any recommendations on what is best ?

I use a TP-Link TL-WA830RE to extend the 2.4 GHz band of my RT-N66U in which it works well. I have an extra one laying around if your interested.

Hi,

Yes, it can!
I never tried it myself (as I only need 2.4 GHz extension, I use my RT-N16) but I found evidence in other threads that in Access Point mode both bands are working.

With kind regards

With the ASUS EA-N66 Ethernet Adapter, it can only connect to your router either on the 2.4 GHz band or the 5 GHz band, but not both at the same time. I use the EA-N66 as an adapter for the 5 GHz band, since the 5 GHz band has less range and a tighter signal pattern than the 2.4 GHz band.

My advice would be to get another RT-N66u and run it in ap mode. It also gives you the bonus of having a backup router should you ever need it.