What's new

Best Router for ~$200 (Asus 88U vs. Asus 86U vs. Netgear Nighthawk X4S)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

qmalik

New Around Here
Hello! New to forums...

So quick question - im looking for the best router I can get for about $200..the 2 routers I seem to run into the most is the Asus 86U (seems to be out of stock everywhere) and the Nighthawk X4S. I also got a really good deal on the Asus 88U w/ 8 ports ($199) - which I already purchased. However, I'm thinking about returning it.

That said, I have 10 wired Cat 5e ports in my house (though probably only 3 or so will actually be used right now)..so I could def. wire up all the ports in the house - set it and forget it with just this router. I bought the 8 port Asus 88U because I ran into many reviews that said it was great and the fact I wouldn't need to buy a switch ever..so in a way it saved money.

That said, it seems that the Asus 86U (better long distance) and Netgear Nighthawk X4S (better short distance) out rank it...so what should I do?

FYI - I don't use VPN currently and my house is 2 floors and about 2,200 sq feet (open concept). I have 100/100 internet from verizon and just want stable, full speed (as much as possible) around all corners of the house.

Options

(1) Keep the Asus 88U since you can fill up all 8 ports and have a completely wired house (even if you don't need to use all ports) and solid wifi
(2) Return the Asus 88U and wait for Asus 86U to come back in stock..buy a switch (if/when you need it)
(3) Return the Asus 88U and get a Netgear Nighthawk X4S..buy a switch (if/when you need it)

Is there any other router you would recommend (Nighthawk X6/X8?)? or do you think I can get the same performance for much cheaper?

Bonus question: If all my wired CAT5e wires are in the basement..I can put a switch down there and have the router on the main floor for better signal - correct?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Do you think you will be using VPN/USB sharing any time soon? If you use any of that, AC86U is the only choice I would choose. Another thing to consider is that AC86U is much newer than AC88U, and Nighthawk X4S as well. AC86U uses much newer kernel version, which most routers never get kernel updates, so I guess it will be slightly more secure and have more functions for future use.

When I bought my AC68U, I notice that band steering/ Asus's Smart Connect is not available. I asked RMerlin if AC68U will ever get that feature, I believe his answer was that AC68U can't get that feature as it use some function in newer kernel version that AC68U does not have. AC88U might have better WiFi than AC86U, but I doubt that it's that significant. Also, if AC86U is as popular as AC68U, AC86U will probably get faster and longer firmware updates than AC88U. The cost of switch is not significant compared to benefits you might get from AC86U, so in any case I would go with AC86U. However, I have not used Netgear router at all, so I can't really comment on it.

Edit: not sure if it's linux kernel or SDK that gives you more features

86U if you need VPN performance otherwise the R7800 for pure 5Ghz performance as its QCA9984 WiFi chip is probably the best in consumer space right now. The R7800 has better near and far 5Ghz performance. The 86U is pretty close though and you do get Merlin firmware so there’s that. You could get either honestly. The 88U isn’t that good compared to either of these from both a VPN and WiFi standpoint not to mention it runs hot which may or may not matter depending on your environment.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!