What's new

Best way to extend my wireless network.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MoogLe

Regular Contributor
Hey guys, Im trying to figure out what would be the ideal solution for my wireless network.
The way out house is setup is we basically have 3 seperate houses on our property, all the houses are made out of concrete which sucks for wifi and we all share a single 30mb internet connection. In total we're talking about 600-700 square meters.

Im currently running an Asus RTAC66R as my main router and Im using an RTN66U as an access point in one of the other houses. This setup is gettig a great signsl all over but Im having some issues with the rtn66u not necessarily being the most reliable access point. I never had problems when I was using it as my main router but ever since I started using it as an AP I started getting random crashes/freezes etc and it's just starting to tire me so I'm looking for a more reliable/simple solution.

Basically Im thinking of using a dedicated AP Such as the ubiquiti unify uap. Would this be a good solution or do you guys have any other recommendations?

Hey guys, Im trying to figure out what would be the ideal solution for my wireless network.
The way out house is setup is we basically have 3 seperate houses on our property, all the houses are made out of concrete which sucks for wifi and we all share a single 30mb internet connection. In total we're talking about 600-700 square meters.

Im currently running an Asus RTAC66R as my main router and Im using an RTN66U as an access point in one of the other houses. This setup is gettig a great signsl all over but Im having some issues with the rtn66u not necessarily being the most reliable access point. I never had problems when I was using it as my main router but ever since I started using it as an AP I started getting random crashes/freezes etc and it's just starting to tire me so I'm looking for a more reliable/simple solution.

Basically Im thinking of using a dedicated AP Such as the ubiquiti unify uap. Would this be a good solution or do you guys have any other recommendations?

I used Rt-N66u in AP mode for two months. Had zero problems. I used different/unique SSIDs on everything. Most people that have problems are the ones that try to use the same SSID.

Are you using rt-n66u in AP mode?
Do you have different/unique SSIDs ?
What firmware?

I initially tried using the same ssid which gave me allot more problems so i used unique ssids.

Also AP mode doesnt seem to work at all, i just set everything up manually.

Im running merlin 374.40

RT-N12D1 in AP mode here. Working well for many weeks.

Unique SSID for AP and Router so I/user can choose.

It works most of the time guys. But I get problems maybe once every 1-2 months. Id also love to be able to use the same ssid, which im hopin would be less of an issue with a dedicated AP?

Would suggest you upgrade to RMerlin 374.41 (final) firmware for both routers.

Do a full reset and manually configure the settings needed to get the network going.

When you're comfortable with that level of stability, slowing introduce each new tweak or feature one at a time to see when/if the network becomes unstable again (if it does).

Also don't forget to delete the ssid connections you now have with each of the clients and re-associate them (or; simply use new ssid's on the routers after you flash the new firmware).

With the above done; you'll know much better than now if new equipment is the (possible) answer or if simple configuration issues were the problem.

It works most of the time guys. But I get problems maybe once every 1-2 months. Id also love to be able to use the same ssid, which im hopin would be less of an issue with a dedicated AP?
With one SSID on all APs and the AP in the WiFi router, given consumer gear, you'll depend on the client/handheld device, moving, to choose the best/closest. Few do. Most stay with the one use even though the signal strength and thus data rate, have declined a lot, versus that available from one that is nearby now, as the user moves.

In consumer WiFi, there's no "AP-directed" handoff among APs, unlike cellular.

With one SSID on all APs and the AP in the WiFi router, given consumer gear, you'll depend on the client/handheld device, moving, to choose the best/closest. Few do. Most stay with the one use even though the signal strength and thus data rate, have declined a lot, versus that available from one that is nearby now, as the user moves.

In consumer WiFi, there's no "AP-directed" handoff among APs, unlike cellular.

I see.

Thanks for the info

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!