What's new

Best way to set up vpn on router for gaming?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

abcedg

New Around Here
Hi, I am currently owning asus rtax88u pro and am trying to set the vpn client on it for my gaming device. My gaming device doesnt support innate vpn.
I need a vpn that is low latency with good speed and I was wondering how should I go about setting it up.
I am in UK and want to vpn to Japan server. My internet speed is around download/upload 32/ 24 Mbps and currently using openvpn from Express, but when I do my speed drops to 4/2 Mbps. (It is a rented airbnb house so I cannot change my default wifi speed)

I am wondering if I should try other vpn providers such as Nord VPN/ Wireguard Vpns, or go the other way of setting my own vpn server on google cloud/ azure?
I do not mind the difficulty, I just want VPN to japan with good ping.

Thank you for your suggestions in advance : D !

Last edited:
32/ 24 mbps

With Mbps you have a chance. With MBps you're good. With mbps you have to give up.

Slow ISP (or is it?) + Public VPN (any) + Gaming (low ping requirements) = Disappointment.

Test you ping to Japan first. I have ~170ms between Toronto and Tokyo for example. Gaming with VPN on top is going to be challenging.

One thing to consider - run the VPN client on the PC vs. running on the router - performance there will be much better

I did it and got 240 ms. I still wanted to try it out though.

I have a NordVPN account. Connected to Japan server I see ~170ms to local servers in Japan and as expected ~340ms back to Toronto. This is a ping test only and with client run on i7 desktop CPU. A client run on router hardware with real data transfer will introduce extra latency. If the game is some FPS type - forget about it. In your case you are looking at ~0.5s delays. You can try with free VPN account, but... this is on the other side of the planet. It's actually quite impressive, but not good for gaming.

I have a NordVPN account. Connected to Japan server I see ~170ms to local servers in Japan and as expected ~340ms back to Toronto. This is a ping test only and with client run on i7 desktop CPU. A client run on router hardware with real data transfer will introduce extra latency. If the game is some FPS type - forget about it. In your case you are looking at ~0.5s delays. You can try with free VPN account, but... this is on the other side of the planet. It's actually quite impressive, but no
I did try as you said and indeed got ~500ms to UK/-240ms to Tokyo, same for both expresss openvpn and mulvad wireguard. Would a self host vpn such as google cloud solve this issue?

Would a self host vpn such as google cloud solve this issue?

Unlikely. The data has to travel through two continents and back.

You don't need speed for gaming. What you need is low latency. You can't have it when the server is >10.000km away from your location.

You don't need speed for gaming. What you need is low latency. You can't have it when the server is >10.000km away from your location.

And VPN would add even more latency compared to a direct connection...

I mean, the further away the servers are from your location, the bigger the latency. In your case, I think the best option would be NordVPN, as they do have a lot of servers, and over 200 of them in Japan, so there's a good chance you would get the best results with them. I made a switch recently, and I saw the improvement while playing.