What's new

Best way to sync NASs directly (not through computers)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gaikokujinkyofusho

Occasional Visitor
I just finished reading Kevin's "How To Back Up Offsite for Free with rsync" article and it was pretty useful *but* it dealt with doing rsync using a computer and i got the impression that it relied on using a static address (maybe there is no other way, i was {niavely?] hoping there was).

My questions are:
1) Can syncing be done when you have a dynamic address (not static IP address)
2) Are there any 2 or 4 bay NASs out there that can sync with each other through the internet
3) I put ffp on my DNS-323 so i now have rsync directly on that box, can the same be done with the dlink 4 bay version (forgot the model #) or are there other RAID 1/NAS boxes which are comparable in price but better for syncing?

Any ideas would really be appreciated!!

Cheers

-Gaiko

1) Can syncing be done when you have a dynamic address (not static IP address)
This is a generic Internet connection issue. Sure you can have a dynamic IP address, but you have to know what it is to connect to it. Or use a dynamic DNS service.
2) Are there any 2 or 4 bay NASs out there that can sync with each other through the internet
Synology, QNAP, Thecus and NETGEAR's products can back up via rsync. But to do it via Internet you'll need to map the rsync port (default is 873) to the IP of the NAS on the rsync target.
3) I put ffp on my DNS-323 so i now have rsync directly on that box, can the same be done with the dlink 4 bay version (forgot the model #) or are there other RAID 1/NAS boxes which are comparable in price but better for syncing?
The four-bay D-Link is DNS-343. Don't know if it can have ffp loaded.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!