What's new

Best Wireless Routers to use as Client Bridge?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xnet

Occasional Visitor
What are the wireless routers that make the best client bridges for 802.11n or .11ac? I want to bridge a PS3, Xbox 360, and PC into the wireless network.

I have easy access to the Netgear WNDR3800 and a R4500. But I'm willing to buy whatever works best and has a very strong signal.

Base router is currently a WNDR3800 but that can change if need be.

How far are you trying to go?
What is the walls made of?
Are there many wireless networks nearby?
How much bandwidth are you expecting?

Distance = 65 feet
4 Walls = 1 concrete + 3 sheetrock
Many wireless networks in the area
Would like to get 20Mbps+

Currently using Linksys WRT54GL running DD-WRT. Worked fine when it was in a closer room but now is having connection problems.

Are the Netgear routers good for client bridge in this type of environment?

Last edited:
Distance = 65 feet
4 Walls = 1 concrete + 3 sheetrock
Many wireless networks in the area
Would like to get 20Mbps+

Currently using Linksys WRT54GL running DD-WRT. Worked fine when it was in a closer room but now is having connection problems.
That's going to be difficult. If the neighboring 2.4 GHz networks are busy, that's going to limit your throughput and will decrease throughput stability.

With concrete and sheetrock walls, 5 GHz signal level is going to be really reduced.

I would try powerline. If you are determined to stick with wireless, try a pair of ASUS RT-N66Us.

Thanks!

For my use stability is more important that throughput. I will look into powerline too. Haven't tested that in at least 5 years. Last time I tried the results were not good but maybe the new tech will be better than wireless.

If you are determined to stick with wireless, try a pair of ASUS RT-N66Us.

Before I buy two of these, will any of the Netgear product I have suffice for the base station or are the ASUS routers stronger and more reliable for both base and client?

Powerline technology has indeed come far since Homeplug 1.0. A pair of 200 Mbps adapters will be a lot cheaper to try than a pair of RT-N66U's.

I can't speak to reliability for any product. But the RT-N66Us are at the top of our charts and generally well-regarded for range performance.

I checked the N66U manual and can't find any info on setting the router to client bridge mode. Is this a feature of the stock firmware?

I see that I can use WDS but that halves the bandwidth so not a great solution.

Edit: found this for the AC66U

http://support.asus.com/FAQ/Detail....29F7-D0C7-6E04-BA444E44B750&m=RT-N66U (VER.B1)

I haven't used the N66U so I don't know what it offers. WDS-Repeater halves the bandwidth and causes other issues. WDS-AP to WDS-STA does not, it merely makes it a layer 2 instead of a layer 3 trunk (what you need).

In my experience, virtually none of the mainstream WiFi routers have a bridge mode or client bridge. Low demand.

Client bridges are often marketed as "Game Adapters".

Same hardware, usually minus the built-in ethernet switch (just one port). Though a Buffalo bridge I used for years had a 4 port switch built in. Of course, you can connect an ethernet switch to the bridge's one port.

You have the same kind of setting that I am currently in. I have a very long house with lots of rooms in between. I had a wireless unit in the middle which kind of worked but not really. I had lots of dead spots. I also did not have cable from the back to the computer room. I finally had to install 2 wireless units on opposite ends of the house. I had to use Netgear Powerline 500 Nano power plugs to feed Ethernet across my power lines. It worked great and I now have wireless units on opposite ends of my house with no dead spots. A benefit is I now have outside coverage in my back yard. It really worked great.

I used the same SSID and security with different channels 1, 6 and/or 11. I changed them a little bit when I settled in.

What about using power plugs to feed your devices? I use a 5 port switch after a power plug to run an Apple TV wired. It also works great. I run both the wireless unit and the Apple TV off this same switch accross the power plugs.

HomePlug on power line is a good way to get IP connectivity to areas where running cat5 is too hard. Better than using WiFi as a replacement for the cat5. You can always add an WiFi AP to the HomePlug, for that area.

The success scheme for HomePlug is to arrange the two AC outlet devices so their signals are not attenuated by co-located devices - like plug strips with filters/surge suppressors, or TVs with the same inside. This means you avoid using the same outlet, or plug strip. Or even choose an outlet on a different wall. On both ends.
And in the US, there's a chance that our two-phase power puts one device on phase A and the other on phase B - and inter-phase coupling of the signal is needed. This happens to some extent if you have long ROMEX cables carrying 220VAC (both phases) - it "cross-couples" along the length. It happens too inside a 220V appliance/stove but perhaps only if it is "on".

So some planning and experimenting is necessary. But once done, it works very well. Mine has run for years and is how I get IP to my HD TV's Ethernet jack, HTPC, and to the BlueRay player. Not sure I can do 1080p with this, but 1080i and Netflix are fine, at their lower bit rates. I don't have a 1080p capable TV.

Last edited:
The power plugs have encryption which they use to lock themselves together. They create a locked network so I don’t think bleed over is an issue. I now have 3 of them running all encrypted together. They are so easy to use. Netgear also has a software client to monitor them.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!