What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.59 Beta 2 is available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just posted a question about miniupnpc and when browsing the asuswrt-merlin github sources it seems the version is about a year and a half old ("1.9.20141128" as defined in https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/blob/master/release/src/router/miniupnpc/miniupnpc.h) so I was wondering if it would be possible to update to a more recent version in upcoming releases?
As I have problems getting miniupnpc discover my huawei e3267 4g modem, and as I read somewhere that some older versions of miniupnpc have had erroneous behavior with IGDv2, my hopes are it could solve my problem. I'm of course nothing if not self centered...

I just posted a question about miniupnpc and when browsing the asuswrt-merlin github sources it seems the version is about a year and a half old ("1.9.20141128" as defined in https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/blob/master/release/src/router/miniupnpc/miniupnpc.h) so I was wondering if it would be possible to update to a more recent version in upcoming releases?

That client is only used by Asus to identify devices on the LAN. It shouldn't be used for other uses, as it might contain some code customizations.

That client is only used by Asus to identify devices on the LAN. It shouldn't be used for other uses, as it might contain some code customizations.
Ah. Too bad. Is there any other upnp client available?
A friend has a dovado 4gr router that somehow seems to set the USB modem to bridge mode, but I don't know how it's done. Otherwise that router doesn't impress... I'd really like to get port forwarding working, and opening some ports via upnp should work nicely if it could be done...

Ah. Too bad. Is there any other upnp client available?
A friend has a dovado 4gr router that somehow seems to set the USB modem to bridge mode, but I don't know how it's done. Otherwise that router doesn't impress... I'd really like to get port forwarding working, and opening some ports via upnp should work nicely if it could be done...

I have Dovado Tiny AC myself in bridge mode as well connected to RT-AC68U. Dovado is doing one of the best 4G USB dedicated routers, also their firmware is fully dedicated to support 4G USB modems. I prefer to use Dovado to keep my 4G connection since they outperform routers such as Asus.

In case anyone is interested, I made about 4 changes to beta 2 to show the hostname in the network map. One file was changed to place it in the sidebar (client status), formatting is a little tight on that change, and the other is to show it under the IP address in the list of connected clients. The changes where extremely simple and might be worth adding to the codebase, since its handy to be able to see hostnames on these screens. Attached one partial picture and a zip file of the two files that were changed. clients.asp change put in the hostname in the client status list, and client_function.js put the hostname in the list of connected clients. About four lines added in all. Uploaded zip file but changed extension to txt so that it would allow upload.

Files below

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-04 at 4.03.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-04 at 4.03.11 PM.png
    18 KB · Views: 519
  • twofiles.zip.txt
    30.7 KB · Views: 288
I have Dovado Tiny AC myself in bridge mode as well connected to RT-AC68U. Dovado is doing one of the best 4G USB dedicated routers, also their firmware is fully dedicated to support 4G USB modems. I prefer to use Dovado to keep my 4G connection since they outperform routers such as Asus.
Oh, so using a Dovado Tiny for the 4G connection should be better than connecting the modem directly? Well it at least sounds very doable - I might even be able to get hold of one for (almost) free!
Thanks!

Hey everybody I thought I might join the discussion and post my little problem.

I have the RT-AC87U and just installed 59 beta 2 yesterday.

Since beginning of this year I am trying to get windows home group to run, but always failed. I thought it's ESET smart security firewall so I even had it uninstall on both PC.
But still no chance to get it together happily. Always after entering the password in the homegroup connection window, Windows showed me the message, that the computer can't be reached anymore.

So yesterday after installing beta 2 I almost freaked out as homegroup was working!

The connection between the both went through and I could see the folders in explorer from each PC. But today after the computers were shut down and started again everything is almost the same as before installing the beta2.

Now the PC's are connected but in explorer each homegroup PC is shown as not accessable / can't be reached.

As I am new to this forum, I don't know exactly how to show you my configuration.

But I set up the router to have the Firewall enabled, and NAT Loopback to Merlin (default setting here) and the feature with NAT helper is enabled aswell, also the router has Ipv6 enabled (my ISP is Deutsche Telekom and IPv6 is working).
The Ipv6 Firewall is also enabled (default). And UPnP is enabled as the default setting, with secure UPnP enabled as default aswell.

The PC have both a DHCP address set up as static (192.168.1.12 and 192.168.1.13).

I hope I could make it understandable a little.

Another problem would be Smart View, but I am not sure if it would explode the thread.

My PC's can't achieve any positive connection, but my S6 edge can. It's a Samsung UE55.

Maybe you guys have some tips, or I was able to show you a bug maybe? ^^

Thank you guys and Merlin I love your work.

BTW I am talking about this feature here. Normal networking works of course.

Change_Homegroup_Settings.png

Oh, so using a Dovado Tiny for the 4G connection should be better than connecting the modem directly? Well it at least sounds very doable - I might even be able to get hold of one for (almost) free!
Thanks!

Yes it should, just make sure you don't plug 4G USB modem directly but use 1m extension USB cable included.

I got Eset an i dont have any problems with sharing across all my pcs(windows 10 and 7) and wdtvlive
but......
I dont use HOMEGROUP sharing, it s****

Here is how i share my folder

1. 1. Right-click on the folder/drive in question and select “Properties”

2. 2. Switch to the tab “Sharing” and click on “Share"

3. 3. In this window, Select “Everybody” into the empty field at the bottom and click on “ADD”.

4. 4. Take a quick look at the permissions for “Everybody” and make sure they are all set correctly*(Read/Write). If everything is in order, close all windows with “OK”.
    1. 1. Summon your control panel and open the “Network and Sharing Center”.

2. 2. Click on “Change advanced sharing settings.

3. 3. Look for your active profile at the top, expand it (if it isn't already) and scroll down to the option “Password protected sharing”.

4. 4. Tick the option “Turn off password protected sharing” and click on “Save changes”. Be advised that this will make all shared folders readily accessible for anyone inside your home network.
well like i said network sharing is working flawlessly, just homegroup and smart view bothers me a little. It's not working so I keep biting my teeth.

The firmware is a little buggy.

After factory settings and reconfigure.
All night attempts and no success.

The AC68 is not connecting wit the AC87 in Reapeater mode (5GHZ).
The AC68 is connecting for some seconds and then he is losing the connection.
Other clients (5GHz) are working on ac87. When i switch back to 380.58 the ac68 connects immediately with the ac87.

When i switch the wps mode on and off the wireles settings off both bands are changing to the factory settings.

these are the 2 things that I noticed.

Now i am back to 380.58

PS: The repeater mode still does not work with the AC68 and 380.59

You will have to diff your config against the stock firmware's own. Anything that touches the kernel can cause issues.
Everyday I learn a little bit more about this router firmware. Just discovered today that the Tuxera filesystem drivers in 380.59 does not work with a linux kernel that has enabled CONFIG_MD. This kernel feature is enabled to get the device mapper feature. I use it for full disk encryption. Now I must choose between full disk crypto versus the fail safe Tuxera FAT and NTFS support.

To figure all this out, I diff'ed my current "config_rt-ac68u" against a clean one. It lets you see what your kernel really is. The file is right here:
~/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/linux/linux-2.6.36/config_rt-ac68u

The "config_rt-ac68u" is the same contents as the "config_base.6a" plus the changes applied by the Asus makefile for a specific target.

Everyday I learn a little bit more about this router firmware. Just discovered today that the Tuxera filesystem drivers in 380.59 does not work with a linux kernel that has enabled CONFIG_MD.

That's why I try to avoid touching the kernel options unless really necessary, or I had the chance to toroughly test things out (and even then, it could still break with a future GPL update).

Same problem in beta2 as in beta1 for the AC87U. I use a EA-N66 to connect to the router. At the "clients" page my hostname is listed with the ip 10.0.0.1, and not 192.168.1.x which is the static ip I have set, that I have got in the .58 build. In the OpenVPN settings (rules for routing client traffic through the tunnel) my hostname isn't listed at all, but the EA-N66 instead, and the ip 10.0.0.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!