What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.65 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to admit that this is a bit depressing, in that it won't be fixed until ASUS fixes the underlying firmware. This means I won't get the security updates that they incorporated in the latest version, but I can't run a home office without the ability to do wireless scanning. I hope this is not what forces me to another company's router....I've quite liked the 88U until now, but I'd hate to be left out of security updates....

Just go back to 380.64_2. It contains all the major security updates of 380.65.

Maybe there's a new setting somewhere to tweak?

There were some switch initialization changes in 380_4180. However without having access to Broadcom's documentation, it's impossible to tell what the change actually does - it's just an hex value being written to another hex page address. Impossible to tell what it does without the documentation. It could also be completely unrelated, especially since people are reporting wifi-related issues so far.

That port(2869) and similar logs(tens of them) were shown on my router(DSL-AC68U running 3.0.0.4.380_4162) as well, but not the kernel logs. I thought it first started before latest GPL, but I am not sure. I will check my log in a day or two to see if it shows the same thing as yours.

Edit: I just checked, here is a part of my router's log:

Jan 14 22:43:50 miniupnpd[13669]: upnp_event_process_notify: connect(192.168.0.99:2869): Connection timed out
Jan 14 23:11:51 miniupnpd[13669]: upnp_event_process_notify: connect(192.168.0.99:2869): Connection timed out

The "connection timed out" means that the device blocks SSDP discovery messages send by miniUPnP, which happens when network discovery is disabled/blocked in Windows but the SSDP service is enabled. That service is always enabled when using the private profile in Windows firewall or when Windows firewall is disabled. (because you're using a third party firewall of instance)

So it will send discovery messages itself, but blocks the response from other devices.

There were some switch initialization changes in 380_4180. However without having access to Broadcom's documentation, it's impossible to tell what the change actually does - it's just an hex value being written to another hex page address. Impossible to tell what it does without the documentation. It could also be completely unrelated, especially since people are reporting wifi-related issues so far.

Would this issue impact anyone using the router in AP mode?

Would it be an idea, if its possible and not too much of a hassle, to add a checkbox next to the factory reset button, that would clear nvram at the same time? Would be pretty neat.
A factory reset does indeed clear nvram hence the use of the word "factory". The router is rendered into the state in which it left the factory.

A factory reset does indeed clear nvram hence the use of the word "factory". The router is rendered into the state in which it left the factory.
Not really, it resets the firmware installed, be it Asus stock or Asuswrt-Merlin.

Thank you Merlin. I didn't know, that's pretty sad to hear. If I disable one of the Radios (5G_2 for instance), will I get some memory back?

No. nvram is used to store configurations, enabling/disabling a radio doesn't affect the configuration stored there - it will remain in nvram.

If you haven't done so over the past year, I recommend doing a factory default reset, and manually reconfiguring everything. That will flush out legacy OpenVPN key/certs (that have since been moved to jffs) and some legacy clientlist entries as well.

No. nvram is used to store configurations, enabling/disabling a radio doesn't affect the configuration stored there - it will remain in nvram.

If you haven't done so over the past year, I recommend doing a factory default reset, and manually reconfiguring everything. That will flush out legacy OpenVPN key/certs (that have since been moved to jffs) and some legacy clientlist entries as well.

Thank you once again. I actually did a factory reset right after install 380_65b2. That's exactly what suprised me, because after a clean reset I was using already 55k of 64k. As I understood that's little I can do about it. Really appreciate your time and attention Merlin. All the best.

RT-AC88U HW A5 version 5G does not display temperature

Hello all. Using Asuswrt-Merlin v380.65 beta 2 on an Asus RT-AC68P and everything seems to be working normal. Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi, Merlin!

I just installed 380.65 beta 2, it works fine, but apparently, every time I change something (and save) that isn't under the adaptive QOS tab, the bandwidth limiter seems to get messed up unless I go to the QOS tab and click apply then it works again after that, I noticed this since 380.64 beta 2 but I only found the solution just now (go to QOS tab & click apply) after I did a fresh firmware upgrade, cleared the NVRAM, and re-entered my settings manually, I thought there was something wrong about my previous saved settings, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm using an RT-AC68U, H/W Ver: A2.

What do you think seems to be the issue?

Going back to 380.64_2 does stabilize the clients list (doesn't drop and add clients to the list randomly like on Beta 2) and printers/scanners, Amazon Echo, Logitech Harmony Hub etc all work like they're supposed to. I tried everything I could think of on the latest Beta 2 from hard reset to formatting JFFS partition and using just default settings with the same results and so I had to go back to the older firmware.

The only problem I still have (happened in 380.65 Beta 2 and still in 380.64_2) is that randomly I will find my router (AC 3100) with 100% usage on one of the cores. It might alternate usage from Core 1 to Core 2 while viewing, but the active core stays pegged at 100%. A reboot will fix it. I would check the network usage at the time and it would be very minimal to none. I don't have any of the AI Cloud or Media Services enabled either. I searched and found two other people with similar issues here and here. RMerlin, is there anything I can do when I see the 100% core usage to identify the cause?

Thanks for your help!

What do you think seems to be the issue?

Could be your browser autofill messing up with the page. I don't have any problem here.

RT-AC88U HW A5 version 5G does not display temperature

Are you sure you are running 380.65 beta? Other users told be otherwise, that the new driver in this build fixed it for them (as it added support for the new chip).

RMerlin, is there anything I can do when I see the 100% core usage to identify the cause?

Run "top" over SSH to see what is using your CPU.

Went back to 64_2 on my rt5300. Same problem with my 2.4 small devices dropping out. Occurred after two days.

Went back to 64_2 on my rt5300. Same problem with my 2.4 small devices dropping out. Occurred after two days.

Working OK here, maybe a restart or reset might help.

Regards

I have to ask about it again @RMerlin: Do you think you can restrict the frequency of the dns.msftncsi.com probing?
Tests in the AB-Solution 3.1 beta team so far have shown no negative impact when setting nvram to dns_probe_content="".

But still, I feel not entirely comfortable setting this, as you noted the unknown behavior of Wanduck if this is set.
I'd rather not have to apply the hack to achieve what I consider normal network chat frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!