What's new

[Beta] RT-AC87U Firmware version 9.0.0.4.380_2695

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I flashed the ASUS 380_2695 beta firmware today to see if it fixed the issue I’ve observed with my two Western Digital 1TB MyBookLive NAS Drives; which I started experiencing with the 378_9460 and 378_9529 official releases, but unfortunately it has the same problem. This problem wasn’t present in Firmware Release 378_9383 or earlier. I’ve observed this problem on both of my Windows 10 home computers (one wired & one wireless 5GHz connections).

Specifically, the problem that I observed is after updating my RT-AC87U router with either the 378_9460, 378_9529, or 380_2695 firmware versions, performing my normal setup procedures, and then powering on my two NAS drives (connected to LAN ports 2 & 3 of the router); when I launch Windows 10 File Explorer and click on Network; each computer initially shows the two NAS Drives under the Storage Category, then both start vanishing and reappearing a few times and then disappear completely, never to return. And, it wasn’t just observed with File Explorer; my Western Digital Backup Software (WD SmartWare) intermittently showed both drives and then stopped showing them. Windows 10 continues to show both MyBookLive Drives as computers, but not as Storage Devices.

However, rather than fall back to Merlin’s 380_58 firmware, which worked perfectly, this time I decided to experiment with router settings that I normally leave at their default settings. The first thing that I tried was I turned “Enable UPnP” Off; which is under Advanced Settings, WAN, Basic Config, Internet Connection. This appears to have immediately fixed the problem and with 380_2695 my computers are seeing my NAS Drives and everything appears to be stable; no more intermittent disappearances!!!!!

So, for me, turning off “Enable UPnP” fixed the problem I was experiencing!!!!

So, whatever changed in UPnP starting with ASUS firmware version 378_9460; it has caused NAS Drives, at least for me, to be intermittently visible.

Update: Interestingly, when I booted up my PC this morning (the one on a wireless connection), I launched Windows 10 File Explorer, clicked on Network, and my two Western Digital NAS Drives under the Storage Category were vanishing and reappearing. Last night while investigating a 2.4GHz band anomaly I’d rebooted the router, so my first thought was that turning off UPnP hadn’t survived the reboot. So, I accessed the router and turned on UPnP, but before I turned it off again I launched Windows 10 File Explorer and both of my NAS Drives were stable, no disappearing act and have remained stable with UPnP enabled. So, now I don’t know what is real and what is Memorex! One other observation, with UPnP turned off, my router never appears in Windows 10 File Explorer, but with UPnP turned on it does appear, although it does an appearing/disappearing act.

Last edited:
After more than two weeks of honourable uninterrupted operations of the beta firmware, the 2Ghz band decided to die... reset/WPS did nothing. The only way to recover was to go back to official release and then reload the beta. Back on business.... :confused:

After more than two weeks of honourable uninterrupted operations of the beta firmware, the 2Ghz band decided to die... reset/WPS did nothing. The only way to recover was to go back to official release and then reload the beta. Back on business.... :confused:
What I have noticed with mine is that if I change any setting, sometimes applies it like always do and sometimes it decides to completely reboot the whole device.
Also happened to stop responding to find out it reboot itself without doing anything...
it's a beta so we can expect these kind of things.

I'm looking forward on a new beta build to see more imrpovements.
So far the 5Ghz not draining my battery on my android devices or waking up without sense my NAS it's a great thing here.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Reactions: fax
That's good In comparison to 9529. On 9529 max uptime for me is 6 days. After this my 87u totally crash. No lan no wifi (but ssid is visible), only power buton....
in syslog nothing
Code:
Apr 17 23:00:22 disk_monitor: Got SIGALRM...
Aug  1 02:00:10 syslogd started: BusyBox v1.17.4
router crash on 0:06 hour.

Last edited:
Reactions: fax
I'm looking forward on a new beta build to see more imrpovements.
So far the 5Ghz not draining my battery on my android devices or waking up without sense my NAS it's a great thing here.
Indeed, lets hope a new beta will get out with more fixes. 5Ghz seem very solid and fully operational even after the 2Ghz was totally gone....

Another issue with this firmware I've found. The Upnp devices and media services all fail after about a day or two, they can no longer be seen or accessed in Windows etc over the network. Restarting the router gets it back just to fail again in 24-48hrs. Anyone see this issue?

I'm also having my cell phone use twice as much battery as previously when connected to wifi and not in use.

Lastly, I'm finding that if I stream video from one 2.4Ghz device to another at a similar distance an location from the router the wifi on the receiving device dies and requires to be disconnected and reconnected to work again.

I think I'm done beta testing, time to back to the previous rev! Good luck!

Loaded 9.0.0.4.380_2695 on AC68R. Windows 7 64bit drops off 2.4ghz WIFI similar to previous firmware. The difference, when you look at the wifi signal inidactor in windows tray, it says it is connected when in fact you cannot get out to the internet. There are times though the connection does show/indcate as dropped. It seems to be a windows issue as tablets, cell phones, stereo equip, and even several roku's all seem to maintain wifi connection.

It is actually worse when it says you are connected but you are not than when it says you are not connected.

First 2 days I didn't see or hear of any issues. Now they are flooding in.

Lastly, my Nexus 7 2013 Tablet does not show up on the Client List for this version or any of the previous firmware 3 versions. Very strange.

I have 5 of these routers and the wifi firmware issue has become a HUGE problem.

Last edited:
Installed the 9.0.04.380_2695 and using it for a week or so. But sometimes I notice that the 5GHz cannot be found by my Asus AC53 USB Wi-Fi adapter (btw. it finds my other 5GHz network). Other devices e.g. Samsung S7 always detects the 5GHz network. Restarting the AC53 doesn't work only a reboot of the AC87U. This issue did not pop-up in previous firmware versions.

Other persons experiencing the same 5GHz issue? Maybe with another device?

5GHz on this fw work ok.
Check channel for 5GHz band. If Auto i think that fw set unsupported channel for Your region/device

So ... is Asus still working on firmware updates for the AC87U? They still haven't released a firmware I'd consider to be really stable.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!