What's new

Better Range router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tully214

New Around Here
I have the asus rt-n66u router and it is not having any issues. In my bedroom I stream videos using Kodi. It does have some buffering issues from time to time. Does the ASUS RT-AC68U or ASUS RT-AC87U have a little better range?

Thanks

I have the asus rt-n66u router and it is not having any issues. In my bedroom I stream videos using Kodi. It does have some buffering issues from time to time. Does the ASUS RT-AC68U or ASUS RT-AC87U have a little better range?
Switching to an AC router from an N router can improve throughput.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...oes-an-ac-router-improve-n-device-performance

Changing won't extend range much if any. But it can provide higher throughput in areas where you already have a signal and change marginal areas to useful ones.

Instead of the routers you're considering now ('AC68U and 'AC87U), I would suggest the RT-AC1900P if you have access to a Best Buy.

The RT-AC1900P is the modern/updated version of the RT-AC68U with a much higher performance processor than the RT-AC68U 'original' (75% faster) and updated RF design too.

Curious what your ISP speeds are (wired)? Is the RT-N66U able to deliver those speeds currently with the options you have enabled on the router (at close to medium range)?

RT-AC1900P (plus RMerlin firmware or the forks thereof). :)

What about ac1900p vs r7800?
It's a hard decision for me, I'm still waiting for this site to update the router ranker

Thanks in advance

I'd like to include RT-AC3100.

I would agree. Except the OP only needs a 'little more range' over the RT-N66U which he 'has no troubles with', otherwise.

If the RT-AC3100 is found at anywhere near the pricing of the RT-AC1900P, then of course, that is the model to buy. ;)

I would agree. Except the OP only needs a 'little more range' over the RT-N66U which he 'has no troubles with', otherwise.

If the RT-AC3100 is found at anywhere near the pricing of the RT-AC1900P, then of course, that is the model to buy. ;)

Didn't BB have sale on it? Newegg.ca has bunch of them refurbished ones for ~200.00USD.

Didn't BB have sale on it? Newegg.ca has bunch of them refurbished ones for ~200.00USD.

Yes, for $191 if I remember correctly. But that sale is long gone. :(

If those refurbished models are directly from Asus (and not Newegg), then they may be worth pursuing.

Is there a reason the RT-AC1900P is only at Best buy? Did it just come out and sold only there for the time being?

Is there a reason the RT-AC1900P is only at Best buy? Did it just come out and sold only there for the time being?

Business is the only reason right now. 'Exclusive' to BB makes you walk/browse their stores. ;)

How about the ASUS RT-AC87U as I can get it for 160 off amazon (open box)

not a great router wireless ac coverage wise , its and the rt-ac3200 just dont cut it

if you want better coverage you have to look at the 2156M router , eg rt-ac3100 and rt-ac88u and rt-ac5300 , other manufactures also have 2156M router with similar coverage

but if you really want better whole home wifi coverage there are far better ways to get wireless to where you need it than forcing it from a single transmission point aka BHR ( big honking router ) as sfx calls it :)

Business is the only reason right now. 'Exclusive' to BB makes you walk/browse their stores. ;)

And... find empty shelves at the brick and mortar stores...

I stop by every couple of weeks at the local BestBuy, and many of those "exclusives" simply are not present - can order online perhaps, but most BestBuy folks are walk-in customers at the physical place of business.

Changing won't extend range much if any. But it can provide higher throughput in areas where you already have a signal and change marginal areas to useful ones.

true, true - but also consider the source - it might not be WiFi at all, could be the upstream connection that is part of the problem...

i can attest to this real world experience

i have petty much all the asus rt-ac range here and my usual router spot is in my study at one end of the house and i have a wemo light switch 25 meters and quite a few walls away down the other end of the house

now the rt-ac68u , rt-ac87u and rt-ac83200 2.4 gig wont allow the wemo switch to connect as the signal is too weak , however both the rt-ac88u and rt-ac5300 both connect and keep connected the wemo , the tp link c3150 also connects to the wemo

so there is a case where the 2156M router just provide better coverage in my case on 2.4 gig for the wemo , i also have better coverage for my portable devices on 5 gig at the same distance

pete

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!