What's new

Block all but 1 IP on a port

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Trevor Matthews

New Around Here
Greetings. I just bought my AC-RT68U on the weekend and upgraded it last night to Merlin hoping to address a couple issues. One of the issues I'm having I still can't address through the web interface. I've read through a dozen posts I searched but still haven't found a silver bullet.

I'm using port forwarding to run a SSH server who's logs are being flooded with 50,000+ log on attempts daily from China mostly.

I want to block all INBOUND internet traffic on port 22 - except on 1 or 2 known IPs ranges I use.

In my research I've come to the conclusion that IPTables is what I need to do, but either my rules aren't right or something. I know too that once I get the right rule I'll have to put them in a config file in jffs land somewhere, but one thing at a time.

What I'm doing (that isn't working)

x's are IPs obviously. So first I'm inserting a rule to allow traffic from specific IPs, and then the rule to block everything else, but no luck

iptables -I INPUT 2 -p tcp -s 192.168.0.*/16,xx.xxx.0.0/16,xxx.xx.0.0/16,xxx.xx.0.0/16 --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I INPUT 6 -p tcp --dport 22 -j DROP

Any help would be appreciated. My old router let me do inbound filters in the web UI and then attach them to a virtual server, so this is getting a little more involved for me.

The INPUT chain is for traffic terminated on your router. For forwarded traffic, the rules must be in the FORWARD chain.

Such a small but important tip! Thanks I shall give that a try tonight!!

Port 22 is very well known for SSH and gets hammered A LOT. Why not run the SSH on port 2222 or something? Not perfect and you'll still get some hammering, but it will be much much less

Yes, and maybe that's the way I should go even if I get the filtering working. The only problem is I've been at some work sites where only the fewest standard ports are open through their firewalls. Right now I'm forwarding it on port 443 til I get this sorted out, and I'm get surprisingly little invalid traffic there. Thanks for the tip though!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!