What's new

Bridge 2 x ASUS RT-N66U (WRT-DD)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SIdCharming

Occasional Visitor
I have two functioning routers located in two different apartment units. The image provided is where the host box sits and the receiver box is within 150' (45.72 meters). What is the best method to test connectivity between the two boxes? I have limited connectivity and intermittent loss of connectivity. I really don't want to climb into the attic of the units and run hard wire between them, but if I have to, that's last resort. Intent is host site has wireless-G active with Internet connection. Two routers are connecting on wireless-N bridge. Remote site has no internet connection other than from bridge but offers a different wireless-G network. I have it nearly completed but seem to me missing something. Any insight for testing or tools for testing via laptop?

Attachments

• Wireless-N Range apartment.png
    Wireless-N Range apartment.png
    525.9 KB · Views: 553
I have two functioning routers located in two different apartment units. The image provided is where the host box sits and the receiver box is within 150' (45.72 meters). What is the best method to test connectivity between the two boxes? I have limited connectivity and intermittent loss of connectivity. I really don't want to climb into the attic of the units and run hard wire between them, but if I have to, that's last resort. Intent is host site has wireless-G active with Internet connection. Two routers are connecting on wireless-N bridge. Remote site has no internet connection other than from bridge but offers a different wireless-G network. I have it nearly completed but seem to me missing something. Any insight for testing or tools for testing via laptop?

Apartments are ranch style condos, no basement or no 2nd floor.

At that range and with exterior walls, hard wiring will be the only satisfactory solution, imo.

Your description and the image doesn't make it clear where the two routers are in relationship to each other.

At that range and with exterior walls, hard wiring will be the only satisfactory solution, imo.

Your description and the image doesn't make it clear where the two routers are in relationship to each other.

I indicated with Teal triangles (left) is primary (right) is bridged (secondary). The two units are within a building, not jumping from two detached buildings. I get connectivity but it's spotty and wondering if I should play with channels or ??. Keep in mind each is broadcasting G band (2.4Ghz) locally and the N band (5Ghz) is the tethering network.

Thanks for helping!

Attachments

• Wireless-N Range apartment2.png
    Wireless-N Range apartment2.png
    533.8 KB · Views: 568
Thanks for the updated image. Yes, testing each channel for throughput, stability and lowest latency is highly recommended (don't bother with utilities like inssider; simple test each channel and pick the one with the best, overall performance. On the 2.4GHz band, test only the 1, 6 and 11 channels. On the 5GHz band, you have to test each channel individually as they don't overlap like they do on the 2.4GHz band.

How high above ground level (not just the 'floor') are both of these routers? A minimum of 10' (3M) with at least 3' (1M) free space all around them is recommended. If they are both at the same height, put the antennae straight up and not in the Asus recommended \|/ ('w') configuration.

To test the channels properly, attach a computer or laptop with a fast drive inside directly to one router (to a LAN port). On the other router, connect another computer or laptop directly to a LAN port again. Test for throughput of a large file (2GB or larger) and lowest latency (how fast the web responds). Now, change channels on the 5GHz band (don't forget to reboot the router and both laptop computers) and test again.

Keep notes and find the channel with the best overall experience for the 'link'.

After that is done, leave the one laptop connected (I would leave the one on the router that provides internet to the other) and connect the other laptop wirelessly. Repeat the above testing on the 2.4GHz band at both locations (routers) and at various areas you want covered. Keep good notes (again) and choose each router's 2.4GHz channels that are the overall best.

Unless you just happened to be using the best channels already, the above should give you a significant improvement in throughput, latency and reliability of your WiFi setup.

Of course, running a good Ethernet cable to the second router is much more effective and will give the best performance (while being probably less work too). :)

Thank you for the prompt and lengthy response. I like your way of thinking... I was fishing for any tools that are known to be used by professionals but as you indicated a good log always works at the core. I also like your suggestion of hard wired laptops to the routers to test the backbone 5Ghz bridge and then test the remote 2.4Ghz G band. What tools are you familiar with (including insider) and what experiences have you had? I have used Net Stumbler in the past.

I will work on it this weekend, when I have more time to isolate the channels.

When I joined this forum almost three years ago, I tried many utilities, including inssider. All but forgotten now. :)

What I found was that simply having them running would skew the actual results that a specific channel would give (after rebooting the whole network and connected clients and not running those type of utilities).

What was maybe more concerning was the fact that what was indicated (by 'theory') did not prove to be any help in practice. For example, channel 11 may have been shown to be the most used channel, but it actual use, it was the one that gave the best overall performance too (even if channel 1 or 6 was much less crowded).

One of the problems with the (free) utilities is that they are only aware of WiFi signals. They cannot take into account signals that are just 'noise', but still affect our 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.

In the end, I saved a lot of time and effort by not using such utilities. Sure, they have pretty graphs and I could quote the numbers they indicated. But that didn't help me finish my work faster, nor was a 'better' or 'best' solution found by using them.

Actual throughput and lowest latency testing was the easiest and fastest way to building a solid WiFi network for myself and my customers. The $1,000 and $10,000 'kits' around that supposedly make this easier are not an option either. Nor do I think they would be less work and time to setup a proper WiFi network with either. :)

Thank you again for the lengthy and timely response.

I however have a question that is somewhat granular. What actions did you perform between laptop computers? simple FTP file transfer? or ?? There are numerous of options and it appears I am eager to utilize your time in the field to shorten my efforts. I didn't do much of wifi in businesses due to security reasons and I am/was driven by Ethernet. Which is why I am asking about this task other than crawling into a restricted area in a rental complex (not saying I would or wouldn't do it) ;)

But if I can get this wifi setup, I was considering upgrading the internet access point and turning on a form of sharing that I could charge renters a fee for a piece of the pie (and have faster internet). That's another topic on renting out a portion of internet access (hotspot) for a monthly fee.

Again, thank you for your help! I hope to return the favor or at least pay it forward! :)

The throughput tests I performed were simply file copies (Windows file explorer) and for the routing part; speedtest.net and dslreports.com. The file copies were left to fully transfer and I noted the top speeds achieved, the average speed and the time it took to finish the transfer in total.

You may be able to charge for the WiFi service (but I wouldn't recommend this), but make sure your ISP knows what you're doing (i.e. that you're not the only one with access to the internet via this connection), but the RT-N66U routers certainly do not have the performance needed for multiple clients.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!