What's new

can i program one router while the other is working?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

consorts

i got a good deal on a ac2900 so i'm gonna retire my ac3100 cause i need faster openvpn

my question is; while my ac3100 is routing wifi for 5 family members dozen devices
can i still setup the wifi in the ac2900 software while keeping the wifi button set off
or will turning off the wifi physical switch, keep me from configuring it logically.
(i want to use the same ssid's on the new router as the old one, will use a temp pw)
i could keep the antenna unscrewed, but that alone won't completely kill wifi signal.

I imagine the AC2900 is the same as my RT-AC68U (or any other asuswrt router) and that the WiFi button is just a "soft" switch which toggles the radio on/off setting in the GUI. As such there should be no problem configuring the router with the radios disabled.

there should be no problem configuring the router with the radios disabled.

so just to clarify, even though the radios are disabled, i can still logically refer to them in various firmware settings and those settings will work once the radios are enabled again. or will re-configuring error out as if to say "device not available" because the radios are off. i just find it dubious i can fully configure a feature that is not actually on.

Just try it!

OE

Reactions: a5m
so just to clarify, even though the radios are disabled, i can still logically refer to them in various firmware settings and those settings will work once the radios are enabled again. or will re-configuring error out as if to say "device not available" because the radios are off. i just find it dubious i can fully configure a feature that is not actually on.
Yes you can.
Untitled.png

Just try it!

:rolleyes:

i'm planning logistics for this transition within a narrow time window,
so i need to know ahead of time that i can do the configuration work
on the replacement router without the wifi radios actually being on
as not to interfere with the router still active and about to be replaced.

Keep in mind that the LAN IP cannot be duplicated if both routers are plugged in to the same network.

Typically, what I do, is get the "new" router up and running and fully configured but with a different IP and SSID. Then once ready I change those values or simply turn off the "old" router, then change the IP and SSID in the "new" one. Downtime is about 2 minutes to make the final changes and reboot.

This also allows you to test the new router, verify range and signal strength etc on a different ssid and switch only when you know it is working.

When I have done it, I make the SSID, Passphrase, DNS all the same before the swap. Then just power down the old and connect the Ethernet for the new. It should pull an IP from the modem/ISP gateway if everything goes okay. No need to power everything down for a long period of time. Modern equipment polls better now days.

Worse case, just do it and if people gripe, toss them a Snicker’s bar.

:rolleyes:

i'm planning logistics for this transition within a narrow time window,
so i need to know ahead of time that i can do the configuration work
on the replacement router without the wifi radios actually being on
as not to interfere with the router still active and about to be replaced.

I tried it for you...

The WiFi switch toggles both radios in the webUI. At least one setting disappears when the radios go OFF... the Scheduler. I was able to modify and save other settings with the radios OFF, but who knows what the firmware might choose to hide somewhere when the radios are disabled.

I would not hesitate to configure the new router off the LAN while the existing router is still serving the LAN. Just use temporary SSIDs and channels; change the SSIDs when you swap in the new router; change the channels when you are ready to use the new router over time. And keep the old router as it is until the new router has proved itself.

No need to mess around with antennas and switching radios ON/OFF. And you can configure the new router to be a drop-in replacement... just don't connect both routers to the LAN at the same time. If the new router does not find the Internet, cycle power on the ISP box.

I prefer a wired PC to configure a router.

You might want to stage the new router configuration over time. Get it running first and burn it in for a week or so before introducing the bells and whistles likes scripts and VPN.

OE

Last edited:
I imagine the AC2900 is the same as my RT-AC68U (or any other asuswrt router) and that the WiFi button is just a "soft" switch which toggles the radio on/off setting in the GUI. As such there should be no problem configuring the router with the radios disabled.
AC2900 is an AC86U.

I would do like OE mentioned, use different SSID and channels on the new router for configuration. So changeover is done in some seconds while you power off old router, connect LAN to new router and change SSID to original used one.

But there are so many thinks which can fail, better send them to relatives, friends or on holidays over the weekend ;)