What's new

Can I use aicloud like drop box?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sheamus

Occasional Visitor
  • I have a bunch of files on a USB hard drive, attached to my 68U.
  • From my windows desktop, I just access those files as a SAMBA share.
  • ON my laptop (which I dual boot win/osx) I would like to have those files synced to it's hard drive, so I have access to them on the road without network.
  • Currently I do this with dropbox,but I would like to do it with AiCloud if that is possible.
  • Asus has many mobile apps, but it seems the only way to access the files on a OSX/Win computer is through the web browser. Is there any way to have the files synced to disk like dropbox does?
  • Like asus web storage, but with nothing stored on their servers....

AiCloud is a remote disk access system, it's not a disk sync system, except through Asuswebstorage.

Thanks. So then their Asuswebstorage is basically dropbox, but has the ability for the router's attached drive to act as another client then?

I was hoping it was the ability to act as the sync server, so basically cloud storage, but the backing store is the drive attached to the router. Something like OwnCloud, or BitTorrent Sync.

Thanks. So then their Asuswebstorage is basically dropbox, but has the ability for the router's attached drive to act as another client then?

I was hoping it was the ability to act as the sync server, so basically cloud storage, but the backing store is the drive attached to the router. Something like OwnCloud, or BitTorrent Sync.

"Cloud storage" implies that date is stored somewhere and accessible over the Internet - it does not necessarily imply sync capabilities, which has to be implemented client-side.

In addition to the router being able to sync a local folder with an Asuswebstorage account, it also has the ability to sync with another AiCloud-enabled router. I never tested that one (which was added a few months ago by Asus) so I don't know how well it works.

I like something like dropbox/onedrive, etc for my docs.

But I may try something like BitTorrentSync to keep my iTunes library in sync between laptop and desktop, as that is what I was hoping AWS or AiClould did.

While AiClould is cool, I am not sure what my use case would be. If I need a file, usually it is already in my dropbox, and if it is a file I forgot to put in there, I usually just RDP home and get it. The ability for AWS to sync to another router is neat, but a specialized case, of which I am not a part of for now.

Anyone used BitTorrent Sync or something like it for keep a library of music in sync on a travel laptop, and a desktop before?

EDIT: BWT, thanks for the help Merlin.