What's new

Can is use wireless N as Router and AC as access point?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

craphoot

New Around Here
I currently have a 802.11n Airport Extreme in my bedroom. My room is in the back of the apartment near the yard. Those are the two places that I frequent the most, and it works very well for me. However, my roommate lives in the front of the apartment and he gets a very weak signal (2.4 and 5ghz.) So I just purchased a used 802.11ac Airport Extreme and plan on setting up one router as an access point.

I obviously, want the AC router on my side of the apartment. Currently, the modem is on the roommate's side (that is where Time Warner installed it) and I run a 50ft ethernet cable into my room. It would be much easier to setup the wireless n router next to the modem then use the 50 ft ethernet cable to setup my new AC router as an AP in my room. Is there any problem using the newer technology as an AP and the older as the router? Will it slow down my speed in any way? Can I still use my ethernet ports for wired connections in my room? Or should I set up the new AE as the router, then run another 50ft cable back to the old AE as the AP?

Sorry for the beginner's question. I am new to this setup.

I currently have a 802.11n Airport Extreme in my bedroom. My room is in the back of the apartment near the yard. Those are the two places that I frequent the most, and it works very well for me. However, my roommate lives in the front of the apartment and he gets a very weak signal (2.4 and 5ghz.) So I just purchased a used 802.11ac Airport Extreme and plan on setting up one router as an access point.

I obviously, want the AC router on my side of the apartment. Currently, the modem is on the roommate's side (that is where Time Warner installed it) and I run a 50ft ethernet cable into my room. It would be much easier to setup the wireless n router next to the modem then use the 50 ft ethernet cable to setup my new AC router as an AP in my room. Is there any problem using the newer technology as an AP and the older as the router? Will it slow down my speed in any way? Can I still use my ethernet ports for wired connections in my room? Or should I set up the new AE as the router, then run another 50ft cable back to the old AE as the AP?

Sorry for the beginner's question. I am new to this setup.

Your AP Exteme N is working just fine - delivering bits, protecting from evil, etc... in other words -- it's working...

For the 2nd Hand AP Extreme AC - it can extend the network via wireless or over ethernet.

See here -- http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4145

too many words to get into here - either you're a Walt and know what you want, or or Jesse and don't... but the guidance in the link above should get you pointed in the right direction...

sfx

Wired networking performance has not changed in a while, I am sure the AP Extreme N can do wired routing fast enough to have your ISP connection be the limiting factor (unless you have a really fast connection?).

The only reason you might want the newer router for wired routing performance is if you are doing something more advanced that needs CPU performance, like a VPN connection.

Wired networking performance has not changed in a while, I am sure the AP Extreme N can do wired routing fast enough to have your ISP connection be the limiting factor (unless you have a really fast connection?).

The only reason you might want the newer router for wired routing performance is if you are doing something more advanced that needs CPU performance, like a VPN connection.

It depends on how old the router is.

For WAN routing, there's a dramatic difference between say my WNDR3700 and any of the new AC1750/AC1900 routers because the WNDR3700 can only handle 4096 simultaneous TCP sessions.

Current firmware on the 801.11n Airport Extreme should be more than sufficient - I think Tim had tested over 29K simultaneous connections before it ran off the pier...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!