What's new

Can't access files on one computer from another

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

peacenik

New Around Here
I have just set up an RT-N66U and can access the hard drives directly connected to the router, but I want to access files on another computer that is also connected to the router. I can access the internet via the router from that computer, but the computer is not visible on my Windows 7 Homegroup. It was available on my old router.

Is there some setting that I need to set to allow computers on the network to share files? I can access the files on another computer on the network so I don't think it is that. The computer I can't see has a static IP address, could that be the problem?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Hi,
Often when you connect a PC to a new router the PC identifies the new MAC address as a new network and defaults it to Public network instead of home network.
Check that in your settings.. In my case I also have Kaspersky which has a similar feature which I have to check that it does not revert to public as well. Sometimes it does work sometimes it doesn't.. Best check it out.
Cheers

Thanks for the suggestion. I forgot to mention that the computers that I can share with are all wireless. The one that I cannot access is wired through ethernet.

Try pinging one form the other. And just for testing sakes disable the firewall on one or both devices and then try. As somebody above here said, it could be that the OS is detecting the new network as a 'work' network and then are disabling homegroup.

Under the N66U Wireless section, access the "Professional" tab.

Check the setting: Set AP isolated.

If this is turned on, it blocks every wireless device from seeing other devices.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!