What's new

Can't change 2.4ghz channel

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Grievous Angel

Regular Contributor
On Merlin's latest stable release. I'm successfully changing the 5G channel and it is reflected in inSSider.

But nothing I do with the 2.4g channel seems to matter. It is always stuck on 6.

I've rebooted the router, powered it off, etc.

I have a slight overlap with a neighbor on the 2.4 channel and would like to move it down from 6 to 3.

What am I doing wrong? I'm trying to change the "control channel" from "auto" to 3.

You need to reset the router to stock setting and reconfigure the router. Do not restore from backup. It worked for me.

Just try to toggle around other settings for the same band and then try again to change the channel. It may just help. You can always do reset after that...

Well it looks like I can't change the channel with the bandwidth set to 20/40.

When I set it to 20, I can move the channel all over. With 20/40 it seems to always come back to 6.

I don't know if this is expected or not.

Seems to me the only downside is that the 20 may be slower, but might have better range? I'll leave it that way for now.

Yes, since 20MHz. channel width is most stable for you, and unless you are out in the middle of nowhere with very little or no interference from neighbor's 2.4GHz. wireless networks it will be, stay with 20MHz. You'll get much better throughput with that stable 20MHz. channel width than you will if your router keeps trying 40MHz. channel width and has to back off to 20MHz. That's the way it is for me, too...20MHz. channel width is better here for me as well.

40MHz. is useful for most people on 5GHz., not so much on 2.4GHz.

Hi,

i can confirm this new behaviour in .33 final.
(after upgrading from .32 final i reset to factory defaults and cleared nvram)

RT-AC66U, Location Austria (Europe)

2,4 GHz settings :bandwidth 20/40 MHz, channel 13u
yields actually channel 6 (but not visible in the settings window of the gui)

Setting bandwidth to 20 MHz and channel 13 yields really channel 13

Merlin, can i help with testing ?

Thanks

This problem is already known. Merlin said it is due to the driver. But I do not know wether the the driver version has been changed.