What's new

Can't change "New device" or icon in DHCP server / manually assigned section

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

glitchsys

Occasional Visitor
So in LAN/DHCP Server/"Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list" I was adding mac addresses and hostnames. But every device I added had the name "New device" above the mac address, but on the right under hostname I did see the hostname I added. When I clicked on the default icon of the computer I could change the "Name" and I could change the icon but when I clicked on "Apply" it didn't take. Every device is listed as "New device" and I can't fix it.

I also know if you go to Network Protection/AI Protection/Parental Controls and try to add a device to "Web & Apps Filters" and select the mac address. Eventually you'll see "New device" again and any attempts to change it there also fails.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-09 at 5.37.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-09 at 5.37.44 PM.png
    254.3 KB · Views: 820
  • Screen Shot 2016-07-09 at 5.38.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-09 at 5.38.17 PM.png
    362.7 KB · Views: 2,589
  • Screen Shot 2016-07-09 at 5.40.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-09 at 5.40.04 PM.png
    315.5 KB · Views: 1,084
Ok I think I partially solved the issue. Apparently when adding mac addresses in the DHCP server section you need to go all capitals, don't use lower case. When you do that, you're able to edit the name and icon. Once you've done that, the "Client Status" section of the network map will sync with that other information and show things. Does anybody know how when it detected my Amazon FireStick it showed the Amazon.com icon but that's not on the list of icon choices? It seems to be pulling from some icon database online based on the mac address vendor? When I add custom icons, does anybody know what the maximum filesize or icon dimensions should be?

I think the best solution is to make sure when people are manually adding mac addresses, that they're forced to all upper case. Some kind of script on the input box that ensures all alphabet letters are capitalized. There's something similar in the IP addresses box that only allows numbers and the period . sign to be entered.

I can close or delete this thread if anybody wants or I can leave it open for future searches.

So in LAN/DHCP Server/"Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list" I was adding mac addresses and hostnames. But every device I added had the name "New device" above the mac address, but on the right under hostname I did see the hostname I added. When I clicked on the default icon of the computer I could change the "Name" and I could change the icon but when I clicked on "Apply" it didn't take. Every device is listed as "New device" and I can't fix it.

This seems to be a technical limitation of the networkmap: you cannot customize clients that do not exist (or at least that haven't connected once so far). This is what a "New Device" entry is - a client that networkmap doesn't know about yet.

Try again editing it after the device has been connected, and the networkmap client list shows it.

THis sound very similar to the issue I have at random off a reset of the router where the PS3 connects and I cant edits it entry at all, which in turn makes the client list not populate too said ps3 is disconnect

Last edited: