What's new

Can't disable VPN client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

develox

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I'm running 380.58. Today I was trying a sustained file transfer from the WAN side to the LAN side of my AC68U, and I noticed that the speed was extremely poor (well below 1MB/sec). After ruling out anything else with a few tests, I found out it's the router itself. And indeed it's the present configuration of the router (which, by the way, has never changed in the past months and releases). If I reset to factory defaults, the problem doesn't show up.

After a few reboots, and disabling something starting up at boot, I'm left only with the VPN client whose start time crosses the moment the WAN performance slows down (I immediately run iperf when I get the DHCP address and see it performing well for a few seconds, then it goes down).

So I try to disable the VPN client going to the appropriate web page, turning it off and then clicking on Apply. Useless: at the next reboot the client comes up anyway.
To be noted, I've applied a post config to the client to let it bind always on the same port, so there was an openvpnclient2.postconf file under config in the jffs, but even removing it doesn't help.
The config has also some routing rules set on the GUI for specific clients towards specific destinations.

Anyone any hint ? It'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Peppe

Also disable "Start with WAN".

And that was it Eric, thanks a lot.

Unfortunately, though, VPN seems not to be the problem.It's astonishing that with a factory reset I get a full 11,2MB/sec iperf speed (one of the 2 NICs I'm using is a 10/100), while at the moment, with my usual settings, all of a sudden after a few seconds that the DHCP server has served me an address, I get these speeds:

Code:
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth
[  4]   0.00-1.00   sec   190 KBytes  0.18 MBytes/sec
[  4]   1.00-2.00   sec  56.2 KBytes  0.05 MBytes/sec
[  4]   2.00-3.00   sec  54.2 KBytes  0.05 MBytes/sec
[  4]   3.00-4.00   sec  61.0 KBytes  0.06 MBytes/sec
[  4]   4.00-5.00   sec  59.6 KBytes  0.06 MBytes/sec
[  4]   5.00-6.00   sec  59.6 KBytes  0.06 MBytes/sec

Any hint on where to look first to troubleshoot, trying to avoid to rebuild my configuration from scratch ?
As I have entware installed, I even tried to reboot without the usb stick, but nothing changed (neither enabling/disabling NAT or firewall ... even if since my config hasn't changed for a long long time, I doubted that might be the problem).

Test using a larger data sample. Those tests are far too short to be meaningful.

That's how I became aware of the problem. I was transferring a few regular >1GB files and it was taking forever. Now I use iperf with a 20 seconds transfer window and it's being steady in its either dismaying or full expected performance (reset vs old usual configuration).

I could start over reconfiguring everything, but for the sake of learning and earning experience for the future it worths trying to find out what happens and if it's someway related to the recent update (few days ago) to 380.58 and its associated settings backup/restore via the usual John's utility scripts.

Since the issue disappears after a factory default reset, you will have to troubleshoot it through process of elimination, by reverting any settings change you might have done to figure out which one is causing the problem. In this case, just manually reconfiguring everything would be faster.

That's how I became aware of the problem. I was transferring a few regular >1GB files and it was taking forever. Now I use iperf with a 20 seconds transfer window and it's being steady in its either dismaying or full expected performance (reset vs old usual configuration).

I could start over reconfiguring everything, but for the sake of learning and earning experience for the future it worths trying to find out what happens and if it's someway related to the recent update (few days ago) to 380.58 and its associated settings backup/restore via the usual John's utility scripts.

Try disabling QoS if you have it enabled.

if it's someway related to the recent update (few days ago) to 380.58 and its associated settings backup/restore via the usual John's utility scripts.
what level were you on before you updated?

Try disabling QoS if you have it enabled.

You got it right Skirk, thanks a lot. I had a manual Adaptive QoS set, and disabling it solved the problem. Even re-enabling it with automatic settings is fine, and there's a good reason for this all. I would in the end say that QoS was doing its job, since it was a very old setting when the AC68U was peripheral in my network so I set a 7Mbit/sec download and 0.5Mbit/sec upload (sic ... that's really the situation where I live). So it was correctly limiting my download from a network element outside the AC68U to 7Mbit/sec (exactly the speed I was observing when I noticed the problem) and was also correctly limiting the upload bandwidth used by iperf to under 0.5 Mbit/sec. Shame on me that I totally forgot about this setting made centuries ago.

Now that there's more outside the Asus still within my home domain, it makes no sense anymore.

what level were you on before you updated?

It was 378.55_0 John, but it looks your script has worked flawlessly this time as well, making the combination of your and Eric's job + this very lively forum a total painless upgrade experience as usual, and more in general a great pleasure with these devices.

Last edited:

Hi, i am trying to turn off my vpn and it won't do it. i am getting the following:
Nov 12 09:53:12 rc_service: skip the event: stop_vpnclient3.
Nov 12 09:54:00 rc_service: service 15870:notify_rc restart_letsencrypt
Nov 12 09:54:00 rc_service: waitting "restart_letsencrypt" via ...
Nov 12 09:54:15 rc_service: skip the event: restart_letsencrypt.
any advise?
thanks

You are answering a 3 years old thread... Your issue is definitely unrelated to this thread, the actual code has changed a lot since 2016.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!