What's new

Cheapest device to run VPN server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aluzcz

New Around Here
Advice for Auswrt-merlin or similar device to run VPN server?

I just need a cheap soho type offsite vpn link.

I played with various vpn setups and ended up with a second hand thin client from ebay. I bought the Dell WYSE 5060 N07D, crowbarred an old 256GB ssd into the case, installed Ubuntu, added OpenVPN Access server and the rest is history - zero network downtime and should I need to reset or even change the router the vpn will be there ready to go again. The Dell is doing a lot more than just vpn now.

Does it need to be a router as well as a VPN server? If it's only a server you're after then there's really no point buying a router just to run a VPN server. Even something like a Raspberry Pi could be used.

What type of clients do you plan to connect to your SOHO? If your client(s) support OpenVPN then I think any of the Merlin supported Asus routers could be your VPN server.

If you are running an iOS device then the newer AX series routers can be an IPSec VPN server for which iOS has a native client.

What throughput? What VPN technology?

If run calculations, you actually want the lowest power device - it'll cost a fortune over its lifetime in electricity! So buy something that does not pull much juice.