What's new

Chromecast won't connect. RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JohnBasedow

New Around Here
Has anyone had any issues with connecting their Chromecast to their network?
  • I don't have the 5GHz radio enabled
  • I think AP Isolation is disabled.
  • I'm running a version of merlin's firmware (not the latest)
  • WPA2/AES security

I expected it to just work, but I'm kinda frustrated that it is the only device in my house that has issues connecting to my wireless.

Edit: Ah crap, posted in the wrong section. If someone could move it to the RT-N66U section, I would appreciate it.

Last edited:
Had the same problem.
At last i found out that i had to change the Wireless Mode from "Automatic" to "Legacy" at the 2,4 GHz.
And set the AP Isolated to "No" at the 2,4 GHz.
With these settings i can still run the 5 GHz even with the same SSID.

Had the same problem.
At last i found out that i had to change the Wireless Mode from "Automatic" to "Legacy" at the 2,4 GHz.
And set the AP Isolated to "No" at the 2,4 GHz.
With these settings i can still run the 5 GHz even with the same SSID.

RT-N66U in legacy only mode? You could of bought a $20.00 router on ebay for that. Always use different SSID's for your bands. Having the same SSID is like a car coming to a Y in the road with no GPS and has no clue where to go. Left mine at the factory set Asus and Asus_5G. So there is no question as to which band is the 5 GHz band.

I don't own a Chromecast but are you guys running the one-time setup app that the Chromecast needs?

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/2998456?hl=en

I read that it's 2.4ghz only and does support 802.11n, so a forced legacy G only config shouldn't be needed in the router.

Here are some troubleshooting tips they have for other routers, no Asus on here but maybe some similar fixes apply?

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/329484

@sm00thpapa, I agree on different SSIDs for each band, it makes it easier for me to connect how & where I want them too, like I force a specific bridge on 5ghz even though the RSSI is a little weaker, the speed is similar and i
I save 2.4ghz for where I need it.

I had the same problem with my Chromecast when I first bought it. Just hold the reset button on it for 30 seconds to factory reset the Chromecast and then set it up again using the Android or iOS app. Don't use the desktop app, it doesn't work very well. AP isolation setting is under Wireless>Professional on the RT-N66U web UI. It should be disabled by default if you haven't messed with any of those settings.

Will the Chromecast work on any HDTV with a USB port?

My understanding is yes, but it plugs into the HDMI port, it can use a TV's unused USB for power. If the USB port doesn't supply enough power it comes with an AC adapter to connect to the CC's USB.

This is in contrast to the (pricer and more feature rich) Roku stick that requires a new MHL spec (powered) HDMI input to connect w/ their "streaming stick."

I just got my Chromecast and got it setup just fine with my RT-N66U. I used the Chromecast setup app on my Nexus 7.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!