What's new

Cisco e4200, D-Link DIR-855, WNDR4000, Airport Extreme..

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Which wireless router would you recommend?

• Cisco e4200

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • D-Link DIR-855

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Apple Airport Extreme 2011

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Netgear WNDR4000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other?

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
I should also note that I really don't need the routing features. I have a Cisco ASA5505 that I use at the edge of my home network, so I'd be ultimately using the device as a wireless AP only. I have an HP 1810-G that I'd connect into.
Then don't look at consumer WiFi routers, this being a WiFi access point + router all-in-one.
Instead, look perhaps at good WiFi access points. Cost more than mass market WiFi routers, but chosen carefully (brand/model), they can be good. In the Enterprise market, only access points are used- never a WiFi router all-in-one; mostly for router security reasons.

Or just position re-purposed to an Access Point, WiFi routers. With a few here and there, performance solves itself due to strong signals from the APs and reduced client-to-AP range.

Then don't look at consumer WiFi routers, this being a WiFi access point + router all-in-one.
Instead, look perhaps at good WiFi access points. Cost more than mass market WiFi routers, but chosen carefully (brand/model), they can be good. In the Enterprise market, only access points are used- never a WiFi router all-in-one; mostly for router security reasons.

Or just position re-purposed to an Access Point, WiFi routers. With a few here and there, performance solves itself due to strong signals from the APs and reduced client-to-AP range.

The market for consumer wifi access points is extremely thin, and usually those products have poor wireless performance from what I've seen when compared to consumer routers. I'm not willing to shell out the cash for a 802.11n enterprise grade AP. I got my 1121G free from work, I would have never spent $400+ that it cost new. I don't need any of the enterprise features it offers, it was just free, and better than my old gear, so I use it.

It makes mroe sense to just plug a consumer wifi router into my network via the LAN port instead of WAN port and use it as an AP. This is what I've done many times in the past. I don't have any old wireless gear anymore, it was all trashed, so something new has to be acquired.

Netgear started by making good switches. For the most part, they still do. IMO, no so in WiFi.
The WNDR4000 is a good router for me (so far). This is my first Netgear wifi router (only other Netgear I recall owning is a wireless PCMCIA card I picked up on the cheap when CompUSA was going out of business several years back). I haven't used 5Ghz yet but the router hasn't required any reboots and all G and N clients I use have maintained solid connections.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!