What's new

New RT-AX86U - Strange Behavior - Questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Okay, so I tried QoS and it did make a difference in a couple of modes. What I observed was that it cut the speeds down but there was no packet loss.

For example, Traditional and Cake showed results like this:

9F67A2E1-EF26-4026-9E1E-22B1A7F39581.jpeg

Adaptive QoS with Web Surfing preset showed this:

C219B413-EBB9-49DF-8B18-6E7CC946F928.jpeg

And a couple more tests with QoS off showed this:

48C1F52E-2DD9-41A6-9F2D-CA46C7EF9DC9.jpeg

Confusing results, to be honest. Unfortunately, I cannot explain why you get 6% packet loss with Adaptive QOS that limits speed considerably (but the loss percentage is even higher than when using no QOS at all), while having no packet loss with Cake/Traditional QOS.
I don't know, if resetting the router and repeating the same test does not help, maybe testing TP-Link in your environment is not a bad idea. :-(

Confusing results, to be honest. Unfortunately, I cannot explain why you get 6% packet loss with Adaptive QOS that limits speed considerably (but the loss percentage is even higher than when using no QOS at all), while having no packet loss with Cake/Traditional QOS.
I don't know, if resetting the router and repeating the same test does not help, maybe testing TP-Link in your environment is not a bad idea. :-(
Thanks, I might crack open the TP Link just to see how it runs in my house. Best Buy assured me there‘s no problem returning any router within 30 days. So I really have nothing to lose although I feel a bit guilty just “trying” these out.

Last edited:
Okay, so I tried QoS and it did make a difference in a couple of modes. What I observed was that it cut the speeds down but there was no packet loss.

I suspect your packet loss is related to the significantly higher ISP data rate stressing a weak WLAN? link... and now it shows. I doubt any setting unrelated to your wireless test connection will affect it. If various capable test clients yield similar results... packet loss, then I would focus on the router wireless and network congestion/ambient interference. Try a test late at night. And rename your test SSID to boot all wireless clients off the test WLAN except your test client... maybe a rogue client adapter is consuming resources.

OE

Last edited:
Maybe other forum members will have ideas on how to help you, it is not normal to have such a large packet loss at those speeds.

Another not so crazy idea. I had an old Docsis 3 modem that suffered with packet loss and even restarts under heavy load when using WiFi. I've noticed that this was caused by the interference from the router, and placing the router farther away from the modem resolved the issues.

Another not so crazy idea. I had an old Docsis 3 modem that suffered with packet loss and even restarts under heavy load when using WiFi. I've noticed that this was caused by the interference from the router, and placing the router farther away from the modem resolved the issues.

Interesting. Although in my case, my modem is in the utility room in the basement and I have the router in the center of the main floor (bungalow) connected via Cat6 cable. My modem does have an attenuator connected to it that the cable installer recommended based on my signal numbers. From what I understand it cuts down the signal a bit. But my modem numbers look good.

Speedtest in the router's admin page it shows great results with no packet loss.

What firmware is this router running? I don't see packet loss information on Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7_beta2.

What firmware is this router running? I don't see packet loss information on Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7_beta2.

It’s running Merlin 386.5_2 and there is no packet loss from the ISP to the router or when connected via Ethernet. Only my Wi-Fi is seeing the loss.

I also want just say thank you to everyone that has taken an interest in this. This is truly an amazing forum and there are a lot of helpful and knowledgeable people here. Some of the linked articles written by members are a wealth of information. I’ve learned a great deal here. Thank you so much!

I mean, there is no packet loss in GUI Speedtest:

1655849936126.png

This is what you see:

1655850498844.png

This is what I see on 386.7_beta2:

1655850566767.png

I have no data loss information at all in my GUI.

Did they remove it in the beta?

This is a 3rd party service. I don't think RMerlin touches it. It comes with Asuswrt base. No big deal, just the difference got my attention.

Hey everyone! I FOUND the cause of the packet loss... it's the AiProtection feature!

I currently have 2 rt-ax86u's in my possession. A standard black one running Asus firmware v.300438646061 and a red Gundam branded one running Merlin 386.5_2. They both behave the same way.

When AiProtection is off, I get NO packet loss reported by Speedtest.

When I turn on AiProtection, the packet loss comes back and is usually between 5% and 18%.

If I just turn on the main toggle for AiProtection and uncheck all 3 sub-toggle switches, I get NO packet loss. However if I turn on any one of the 3 sub-toggles, the packet loss returns.

This is repeatable and happens every single time on 2 different routers running different firmware.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts! Doesn't make any sense to me. But it is definitely what is causing it.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I FOUND the cause of the packet loss... it's the AiProtection feature!

I currently have 2 rt-ax86u's in my possession. A standard black one running Asus firmware v.300438646061 and a red Gundam branded one running Merlin 386.5_2. They both behave the same way.

When AiProtection is off, I get NO packet loss reported by Speedtest.

When I turn on AiProtection, the packet loss comes back and is usually between 5% and 18%.

If I just turn on the main toggle for AiProtection and uncheck all 3 sub-toggle switches, I get NO packet loss. However if I turn on any one of the 3 sub-toggles, the packet loss returns.

This is repeatable and happens every single time on 2 different routers running different firmware.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts! Doesn't make any sense to me. But it is definitely what is causing it.

Why does it not affect a wired speed test?

OE

Why does it not affect a wired speed test?

OE
I have no idea. It's very puzzling. But I've tested this to death tonight on the 2 routers (one at a time of course) and as soon as AiProtection is on, I get the packet loss in Speedtest. Turn it off and packet loss is 0.00 every time.

I have no idea. It's very puzzling. But I've tested this to death tonight on the 2 routers (one at a time of course) and as soon as AiProtection is on, I get the packet loss in Speedtest. Turn it off and packet loss is 0.00 every time.

We need another user with 1G service to confirm this with their network.

And I wonder if current firmware 49447 would affect this.

OE

Two routers, multiple reflashes, and settings changes, kudos on the persistence! Glad you found the problem. I don't believe AiProtection is on by default after a (supposed) factory reset, BTW ;) I bet the speed tests go up a little without the packet loss, as well.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!