What's new

Cloudflare now offers a speedtest site

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Last edited:
It shows mine at 57 Mbps and I have a 50Mbps service.

It doesn’t test upload speeds...or doesn’t report them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tests my 1Gbps service at only 490Mbps (from a server 600 miles away).

A long way to go right now for this test to be useful for me. :)

There's a note in the blog saying they've temporarily removed that option.
it's useless until then: no point in "knowing" how fast you can get stuff until you know how fast you can tell it to get stuff

it's useless until then: no point in "knowing" how fast you can get stuff until you know how fast you can tell it to get stuff
Maybe useless for you, but I expect the majority of users are only really interested in how fast they can download stuff not how fast they can upload.

Looks like my use of a tunnel broker to support my use of multiple networks internal to my house for IPv6 is killing my speeds. CF is showing me 236Mbps while Google shows me 898/941. Pretty sure both speed servers are hosted in the local region as me (Kansas City) since the ping times are sub-3ms. CF is using IPv6 while GF is using IPv4 for their tests. I really wish I knew how to just directly consume GF IPv6 within my internal network. I may have to go toy with NAT...which I know IPv6 purists cringe at that thought...but it may help my performance getting native on GF allocations.

Looks like my use of a tunnel broker to support my use of multiple networks internal to my house for IPv6 is killing my speeds. CF is showing me 236Mbps while Google shows me 898/941. Pretty sure both speed servers are hosted in the local region as me (Kansas City) since the ping times are sub-3ms. CF is using IPv6 while GF is using IPv4 for their tests. I really wish I knew how to just directly consume GF IPv6 within my internal network. I may have to go toy with NAT...which I know IPv6 purists cringe at that thought...but it may help my performance getting native on GF allocations.
What router are you using at home? Tunnelbroker doesn't slow me down...
Speaking of which, Hurricane Electric has a free IPv6 "certification" program that will guide you into knowing/understanding this new world - maybe you might want to start there: he.net and click certification. (And NO, they don't pay me to shill for them - a Cisco Certified friend turned me on to HE and IPv6 a while back and I dug into it when I needed to do a speed upgrade at my house that necessitated a complete network re-jig. It was enough knowledge to give me the best home internet I've ever had, regardless of speed. well worth the ~2hrs I put into it. I hope it works for you that way too.)
I suspect with a sub-3ms ping, you'll be able to learn to straighten out your networking issue and get the full Gig speeds (or very close to them) that you're paying for.

What router are you using at home? Tunnelbroker doesn't slow me down...
Speaking of which, Hurricane Electric has a free IPv6 "certification" program that will guide you into knowing/understanding this new world - maybe you might want to start there: he.net and click certification. (And NO, they don't pay me to shill for them - a Cisco Certified friend turned me on to HE and IPv6 a while back and I dug into it when I needed to do a speed upgrade at my house that necessitated a complete network re-jig. It was enough knowledge to give me the best home internet I've ever had, regardless of speed. well worth the ~2hrs I put into it. I hope it works for you that way too.)
I suspect with a sub-3ms ping, you'll be able to learn to straighten out your networking issue and get the full Gig speeds (or very close to them) that you're paying for.

I am double NAT’d behind the GF router and a SophosXG. I am using he.net as my broker. Similar to you, some network guys at work are who led me down the path of using HE to work through my challenges at home. I have left my GF in the path for two reasons. First is as a fail safe path when I’m working in the firewall. Second is that is where I dump guest traffic to. Then....well....there is laziness it would take to remove the GF router and get the proper GF settings for my SophosXG to be native.

I probably need to spend more time reading some of their guides. I know v4 extremely well, but v6 was a huge mystery to me. I have even gone through several of the v6 courses at Cisco Live but until you actually use it daily, you really don’t learn it.

I am double NAT’d behind the GF router and a SophosXG. I am using he.net as my broker. Similar to you, some network guys at work are who led me down the path of using HE to work through my challenges at home. I have left my GF in the path for two reasons. First is as a fail safe path when I’m working in the firewall. Second is that is where I dump guest traffic to. Then....well....there is laziness it would take to remove the GF router and get the proper GF settings for my SophosXG to be native.

I probably need to spend more time reading some of their guides. I know v4 extremely well, but v6 was a huge mystery to me. I have even gone through several of the v6 courses at Cisco Live but until you actually use it daily, you really don’t learn it.

Double NAT will indeed make things...interesting. I’d wager that life would get significantly more simple if you could make the Google Fibre combo unit into a residential gateway by bridging it. Beyond that, I’d wager the Sophos knows what to do with v6, and likely, so does everything connected to it. As you say, you’ve not successfully learned something until you apply it correctly, so take the training and apply as you go. HE really walks you through quickly and painlessly - the answers you really seek are in the little i icons in the questions of the quizzes. ;). Besides, full-on Cisco is for people who do it professionally, daily, as you’ve said.

Double NAT will indeed make things...interesting. I’d wager that life would get significantly more simple if you could make the Google Fibre combo unit into a residential gateway by bridging it. Beyond that, I’d wager the Sophos knows what to do with v6, and likely, so does everything connected to it. As you say, you’ve not successfully learned something until you apply it correctly, so take the training and apply as you go. HE really walks you through quickly and painlessly - the answers you really seek are in the little i icons in the questions of the quizzes. ;). Besides, full-on Cisco is for people who do it professionally, daily, as you’ve said.
GF doesn't support bridge mode. The configuration options in their gear is very simplified and limited. There are "undocumented" ways to just remove their router and connect your own router to the ONT directly....I just haven't been willing to take the outage to work through that. The wife tends to get quite irritated at me when I disappear for a couple of hours and the Internet goes down as well. That is one reason I always left the GF router...she can flip her phone/tablet over to that WiFi while I work on other components.

As for SophosXG and IPv6...well....it could be better. My co-workers who helped are pfSense guys at home and their setup was way simpler. I left pfSense for Sophos while looking for more application layer controls as well as moving away from pfSense after the AES-NI announcements came out.

I may try a different HE broker location to see if performance improves...I doubt it will. Google has a peering point in downtown KC...pretty sure in the same CoLo that HE and CloudFlare reside in. Unlikely moving to Chicago or Dallas will gain me much since latency will increase.

Sounds like you have things well in hand. But let me ask you this (for your consideration): would a 12ms latency (or 15, or 18...) REALLY matter when stuff comes to you at 850-900 Mbps? Not so much to me. YMMV.

I used to have 300/25 from TimeWarner...I got my 300Mbps down easily...but my latency was closer to 100ms. I would take a 50Mbps sub-5ms latency connection over a 1Gbps 50ms connection just about any day. Your day to day browsing will be impacted more by latency than overall max bandwdith. Casual browsing generally does not need anything over 20Mbps. Large downloads and streaming on the other hand, usually aren't impacted as much by latency and will benefit from the higher bandwidth.

Now in my current use case, my latency is still sub-20ms so it really isn't too bad. But when working from home on VPN, having the least amount of latency makes file share browsing that much less painful.

I used to have 300/25 from TimeWarner...I got my 300Mbps down easily...but my latency was closer to 100ms. I would take a 50Mbps sub-5ms latency connection over a 1Gbps 50ms connection just about any day. Your day to day browsing will be impacted more by latency than overall max bandwdith. Casual browsing generally does not need anything over 20Mbps. Large downloads and streaming on the other hand, usually aren't impacted as much by latency and will benefit from the higher bandwidth.

Now in my current use case, my latency is still sub-20ms so it really isn't too bad. But when working from home on VPN, having the least amount of latency makes file share browsing that much less painful.

Latency is very important for me also. My TimeWarner 300 Mbps connection was better than my current Spectrum connection. I had around 12 ms on my Time Warner connection. But I was close to Austin Texas. Spectrum bought TimeWarner and moved things now my latency is 20 ms.

I sure wish I could get AT&T fiber. They ran it down the street for the new neighborhoods. We are growing as Austin is out this far. But no I have not seen it. Fiber is the best when it comes to low latency. I think Spectrum is figuring it out.

Cloudflare.png

Wow , quite a result for an 80/20 FTTC connection. :cool::rolleyes:

I think I'll stick to nPerf thanks.